Not a fly away but non-responsive to input

Reaction score
So there I am. Finally out in the Desert flying in the wide open sky. I flew 4 or 5 times that day. Had some friends show up at camp. So I fired up the Phantom and took to the skies again. Everybody was really impressed with the ability of the Phantom. It was pitch dark and the lights looked great. Way easier to fly when you can really see the lights good. The Phantom had been in the air for maybe 4 or 5 minutes. Hovering almost directly above our crowd, the Phantom stopped responding to control input. It was hovering nice and solid but would not move. I was maybe 100 feet up. I gave it about 1 minute then shut off the control. The phantom came right back to where it took off from. Fun part was after I turned off the control I handed it to a friend. (A great grandmother in her 70s I think) I asked her to land it for me. She thought she did. It was priceless. Glad I brought extra underwear though. :eek:

[quote="FlyingFish". . . . Hovering almost directly above our crowd . . .[/quote]

I suspect that might have been your issue? If it were an internal issue (GPS, compass naza) it wouldn't have been able to RTH.

You know what Driffill, I think you might be right. I remember looking almost straight up at the Phantom. I also remember reading somewhere about the radio transmission when directly overhead.

Lesson learned.

(I'm gonna regret this . . .)

I've flown directly above me before, didn't have any issues
I've flown with the Wi-Fi ON on the gopro, with an ipad connected and running the gopro app! Successfully
I've flown after doing a FW update, and WITHOUT doing any calibrations! Successfully.

I'm not going to claim that proves all the warnings and theories wrong, just that I was VERY Lucky those few times!

. . . I love the idea of letting the 70yo lady land it, I may need to adapt that method, and let my dogs land my phantom one day :)

If its straight above you and you have a basic stock antenna then this is when the antenna will be least effective. The rx antenna is pointing straight down the leg most likely and your tx may also be pointing straight up or down and you get very little signal from the tip of a linear antenna.

If you have a dual antenna setup on the phantom like the Futaba antennas 90 degrees to each other and then also lay your tx antenna parallel to the ground you will be ok but if either antenna is just showing the tip you will lose reception very quick. If both are pointing tip to tip of each other then you can lose reception not very high directly above your head.

Driffill said:

I've flown with the Wi-Fi ON on the gopro, with an ipad connected and running the gopro app! Successfully
I've flown after doing a FW update, and WITHOUT doing any calibrations! Successfully.

I'm not going to claim that proves all the warnings and theories wrong, just that I was VERY Lucky those few times!

. . . I love the idea of letting the 70yo lady land it, I may need to adapt that method, and let my dogs land my phantom one day :)

Thanks loads for the put down. I'm 75 AND a woman AND I own a Phantom AND I have made many successful mods AND I fly it almost every day, weather permitting AND I am the met officer of our local RC flying club so please don't lump me in the same catagory as your :evil: dogs...

fizzviic said:
Thanks loads for the put down. I'm 75 AND a woman AND I own a Phantom AND I have made many successful mods AND I fly it almost every day, weather permitting AND I am the met officer of our local RC flying club so please don't lump me in the same catagory as your :evil: dogs...
And the greatest respect to you---- but, you should go one step further. Don't let a silly one line throw away rattle you :p

fizzviic said:
Driffill said:

Awesome! Just goes to show that none of that matters one bit when you're flying. :D

fizzviic said:
Driffill said:

You have totally missed my point!

The OP says he triggers RTH and passes the control to somebody who has no flying experience and asked them to land it. The age, gender, or even species doesn't matter! I was getting at the fact it would looked odd from an on lookers perspective if I were to pass the Tx to one of my dogs next time I'm out flying, and the phantom came in and landed . . . Yeah??

How did I "lump" an experienced RC pilot into the same category as my Dogs??
I'm pretty sure anyone who had read the OP would have understood my reply, if I came off as sexist or age-ist I apologise :)

No need to apologize, Driffill. Those of us with reading comprehension understood you perfectly. :lol:

PF

justsomeguy said:
fizzviic said:
I am the met officer of our local RC flying club

That is SO awesome!

Do you get a badge or a special uniform or something so that the typical RC dweeb peons know that they should bow down when in the presence of your august RC dweebness?

Look out, here comes a RC fling club officer! Cower in its presence peons!

Only been on here a little while and already noticed a patern in all your post, your a ******* ****.
A little respect won't go a miss
Sent from a GS4 using tapacrap

Only been on here a little while and already noticed a patern in all your post, your a ******* ****.
A little respect won't go a miss
Sent from a GS4 using tapacrap[/quote]

Pay him no mind, he is all over the board stirring the pot. Every site has someone who has an overinflated opinion of himself.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj