NORWAY regulations

Reaction score
Hi all,
Tomorrow I`m travelling to Norway and of course I`m taking my bird with me.
If someone know any special regulations of using drones in Norway please share, I would be thankful.

I'm also going to Norway in May. Appreciate if you could share with us your experience taking the bird with you on flight, security check, on the field, etc. Thanks a lot.

Thanks for posting. I've read through them and it looks like you are free to fly (as long as you follow their guidelines). Has anyone taken their drone on a cruise? I talked to the cruise line and they told me I can bring it on board and leave it with security, but in order to take it off the ship I need to provide written permission from the country that I am allowed to fly it in their airspace. So I'm wondering if print the guidelines out is sufficient. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

@nhoover whereabouts in Norway did you fly?

Thanks

Hello, just back from Norway with my P3P last month. Here is the video I took:

And, a timelapse video of Norway:

Hi, I'm travelling to Norway in August, I was just wondering whether I need to register my drone in Norway or take out any kind of insurance, or if I will be ok if I am using it in quite a remote area and in my eye line etc. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi @costa777, your footages are amazing. May I know how can I register my drone to be able to fly in the remote area of Norway if I'm under RO 1 category? Hope to hear from you :). Thank you.

Here are the main rules in Norway, simplified, but official: Drone Guide -
This is the legal regulation: Forskrift om luftfartøy som ikke har fører om bord mv - Lovdata

Some of the rules not listed is also that the drone should be marked with name and phone number (§27), you should make a flight log (§25; flighttime, what drone, pilot, time and area). If you are under 16 years old, you need someone to be the legal responsible that is over 16 (§23). You are also supposed to have a operational manual (§24) and do maintenance according to the manufacturer (§26), and of course you have to be sober (§19).

You also need to declare that you know the rules and limits. This form: http://www.luftfartstilsynet.no/inc....pdf/BINARY/NF-1114E Declaration form RO1.pdf
It should be sendt to [email protected] as an attachment. Read more: Godkjenning som RPAS-operatør -
You do not have to apply for each single flight, you do this once, get an automatic reply, and are good to go!

Simple rules:
  • Min 5 km from airports
  • Must always fly in line of sight
  • Daytime only (no night-flying)
  • Max 120 m above ground
  • Min 150 m from people whom have not agreed to you (except take off and landing)
Some sources claims you need to be 50 m away from single persons and other people's property (buildings/cars). I am not sure if these rules are still valid, the regulations has been changed a bit lately. This is the poster: http://luftfartstilsynet.no/incoming/droneplakat.pdf/BINARY/droneplakat.pdf

This is also a good Norwegian page, with a link to a slightly more difficult English page: Droner -

Please note that these rules are for the "RO 1" category. Heavier than 25kgs or faster than 60kts, other rules apply, such as you need to apply for a certification.

Hope this helped you out a bit!
Feel free to watch some of my videos: Norway By Air

This is the legal regulation: Forskrift om luftfartøy som ikke har fører om bord mv - Lovdata

Some of the rules not listed is also that the drone should be marked with name and phone number (§27), you should make a flight log (§25; flighttime, what drone, pilot, time and area). If you are under 16 years old, you need someone to be the legal responsible that is over 16 (§23). You are also supposed to have a operational manual (§24) and do maintenance according to the manufacturer (§26), and of course you have to be sober (§19).

You also need to declare that you know the rules and limits. This form: http://www.luftfartstilsynet.no/incoming/NF-1114E_Declaration_form_RO1.pdf/BINARY/NF-1114E Declaration form RO1.pdf
It should be sendt to [email protected] as an attachment. Read more: Godkjenning som RPAS-operatør -
You do not have to apply for each single flight, you do this once, get an automatic reply, and are good to go!

Simple rules:
  • Min 5 km from airports
  • Max 120 m above ground
  • Min 150 m from people whom have not agreed to you (except take off and landing)
Some sources claims you need to be 50 m away from single persons and other people's property (buildings/cars). I am not sure if these rules are still valid, the regulations has been changed a bit lately. This is the poster: http://luftfartstilsynet.no/incoming/droneplakat.pdf/BINARY/droneplakat.pdf

This is also a good Norwegian page, with a link to a slightly more difficult English page: Droner -

Please note that these rules are for the "RO 1" category. Heavier than 25kgs or faster than 60kts, other rules apply, such as you need to apply for a certification.

You didn't receive a reply to your comment from last year but let me just say THANK YOU!! I am going to Norway in a few weeks and this information is invaluable. So thank you!! :)

Reactions: Norway By Air
You didn't receive a reply to your comment from last year but let me just say THANK YOU!! I am going to Norway in a few weeks and this information is invaluable. So thank you!! :)

Good to hear! Feel free to ask if you have further questions :)

And by the way: No insurance needed ;)

Just reading up on that.. from Regulations concerning aircraft without a pilot on board etc - ..

Section 18. Insurance

The operator is responsible for ensuring that it has insurance cover for third-party liability; cf. Section 11-2 of the Aviation Act.

I'm new to drone insurance, any suggestions here? Is it very expensive? Thanks!
Speaking for Norway here: I checked the Aviation Act at an earlier occasion, and established that it does not applies to model aircraft with max takeoff mass less than 20 kgs or aircraft with MTOM less than 500 kgs. (Article 2 here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:138:0001:0006:EN:PDF )

So what I read from this is that insurance is not required, however the Norwegian laws are a bit unlogical as they require an insurance by referring to this EU-regulation, which again says it is not required... If someone figures out this, please tell me :)

Anyways, a quick call to your insurance company will tell you if they will insurance it, and what it may cost. Who knows, perhaps it is already included in your travel insurance or something strange...

You also need to declare that you know the rules and limits. This form: http://www.luftfartstilsynet.no/incoming/NF-1114E_Declaration_form_RO1.pdf/BINARY/NF-1114E Declaration form RO1.pdf

Simple rules:
  • Min 5 km from airports
  • Max 120 m above ground

So, is the RO 1 category and that extra stuff (operations manual, RO 1 Declaration form, etc) required for all personal/private flying in Norway, or is it only needed for commercial use?

The NF-1114E_Declaration_form has no field for country. Very strange.
Also I have not received any response for 7 days, only a very brief immediated automatic reply :

---
Your message is received and will be handled by our records office.

Luftfartstilsynet
Civil Aviation Authority - Norway
--

I have no idea what to do. My flight is next week.

They literally took 119 days to reply to me (months after my trip ended). It seemed so absurd that I did the math.

I flew for recreational purposes following their guidelines and never had a single issue. Obviously well clear of any airport or built up area.

Here's their (obviously translated) response:

I’m sorry to see that this email is overcome by event, however you will not need an insurance (even though it’s probably a smart thing to have. Hope you had a nice visit.

Best regards

Good luck!

Hello. Can anyone describe me requirements for commercial drone using? Or just provide the link with the description.
I've found this article - Droner - but can't find it in English.

I have phantom 4 pro and would like to take some footage in rural areas (landscapes), probably then will try to sell it via microstock agencies :)
Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik