North Mississippi

Good point Tommy J! Yeah, I am in the country west of Saltillo, which is 10 miles north of Tupelo. I fly a Phantm 4 with Litchi, mostly in the Waypoint mode, now that I figured it out. I mostly fly around my area as I have many acres of farmland and two huge TVA power lines 400 yards north of me. I live in a kinda island subdivision with about 18 houses nearby. I am an Extra Class Amateur Radio operator, (ham) and love RC flying, weather spotting, building Pennsylvania flintlock rifles, and "playing" on my Kubota tractor! My email is [email protected]. I have a friend in Tupelo who flies a P4P, also a ham radio operator plus a commercial communication dealer with multi towers that he uses the drone to do his tower inspections now.
Jim
WA5TEF

dang id be in over my head with yall, ive never done anything drone related, ive had my 4 about a month and havent crashed it. im trying to learn to edit videos now, make sunsets look twice as purdy as they really are, make too dark vids look brighter and such. Im a christian, like shooting, fishing, hunting, retired welder,quit motorcycles 2-3 years ago. Have a girlfriend(no wife)!!

Tommy, no! Not at all! We all have had unique experiences with our drone's. While each of us would not think it would be at interesting to anyone else, I have found myself reading everything I can find concerning just that!!!

For example, I started flying a Phantom 4 in November 2016. I started afraid of everything the drone could do. I stayed in my yard flying low and slow for a couple of weeks in FPV, all manual. I was terrified to to try any other modes. I used DJI GO of course because I didn't know there was anything else available. I fly using a full size iPad and after an update in early November, DJI GO started crashing. I read all I could find about it and discovered Litchi. I downloaded it for $24.00 I think, and have used it since with no problems. However it did crash on me on the last couple of flights and I'm reading up on that now.

I found the Waypoint mode in Litchi and started trying it. It is ANAZING! Also on Litchi Mission Hub, I can plan plan a new mission, program all the waypoints and save it. It then appears on my iPad to fly with and my iPhone as a backup! I love Litchi in case you hadn't noticed!

On one of my waypoints mission, I flew north towards the high voltage TVA lines. To be safe, I ascended to 700 feet to clear them and then flew on to an old abandoned pig farm area that has several buildings, ponds and storage tanks. While circling this site, I lost the signal and not thinking fast enough, hit the RTH button. Had I let the drone alone it would have finished the mission and come home to land near where it took off. However, it obeyed the RTH command and immediately headed home at the preprogrammed altitude of 45 meters which would clear all local trees and my 120 foot ham radio tower and antennas. But, I did not know how tall the TVA towers are!!! After the drone had flown long enough to almost get to the power lines I realized all this!!! I could not see the power lines due to a line of trees north of me so I just waited. A few seconds I finally heard the Phantom getting close to home. It had flown just above the cables and landed!!! I learned a valuable lesson that day!

I have flown several 3 mile 22 minute missions and have several longer missions saved ready to recall and fly. I just have got to get the nerve to fly then.

I have found that flying low and far away causes the TC to disconnect. Once I flew at 400 feet all worked great.

So, one can learn a lot of tricks just by reading these posts. Like I said, I read everything I can. Keep flying, try Litchi and learn all you can.
Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF
Saltillo, Ms

i plan to try litchi after warrantys out. Im kinda skeered of it rite now. I have a p4p plus, ive read that they dont take apps well, i might not be anle to do litchi when i get ready too? I have lots of trees near me, i ve started loosing signal and got higher to see signal return several times. I would like to see your litchi work . Do you do any photo editing?
does FPV mean you use goggles?

Last edited:
Tommy, I read yesterday that the P4P does not run third part software so it may not work with Litchi. That's tough because is superior to DJI GO in most every way. The Waypoint feature is outstanding. I seldom fly anything but that. It is fun to program a route and each waypoint and fly the route, make adjustments and fly it again! Kinda like model railroading.

No, not done any photo editing. I do have a video editing program I bought to trim my videos and modify them but not figured it all out yet.
Jim
WA5TEF

Tommy, I read yesterday that the P4P does not run third part software so it may not work with Litchi. That's tough because is superior to DJI GO in most every way. The Waypoint feature is outstanding. I seldom fly anything but that. It is fun to program a route and each waypoint and fly the route, make adjustments and fly it again! Kinda like model railroading.

No, not done any photo editing. I do have a video editing program I bought to trim my videos and modify them but not figured it all out yet.
Jim
WA5TEF
I was sorta thinking i couldnt use litchi. A photographer friend is comeing over tomorrow to try to git me started!

Good, a photographer should be able to get you going. My son flies a Mavic and does part time photography. He does quiet a bit of photo and video editing and is good but he lives near Atlanta. He tried to show me how to use my software but didn't have enough time. Perhaps next visit. Meanwhile try YouTube, they have lots of videoing there.
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1