Normal For First Flight?

Reaction score
Flew my new P3P a couple of days back for the first time. After having issues updating to the new firmware (controller nor the drone made the proper noises and lights to indicate successful firmware update, although text file on the SD card said it was a success?) I was a little nervous to fly it.

After take off and at about 50', the drone just flew in wide circles uncontrollably for about 30 seconds, I couldn't keep it stable. Finally it did calm down and stayed in place....Anyone know what the heck was going on and if I should be worried?

I am a long time flier of a Phantom 2 +...flew the thing about a 100 times with zero issues. Haven't been a fan of the P3P so far....

First, you shouldn't have updated the firmware. Should have read posts here about it first. If you are not a fan of the P3 so far, it's because of the new firmware. Should have left it alone. [emoji16]

Second, sounds like a bad compass calibration. Move to a new spot that is clear of anything metal or electrical (includes rebar in concrete, overhead and buried electrical). A nice, wide open park or field is perfect.

Watch your bird's LED lights when doing the Compass Dance. Mine actually has to rotate more than 360 degrees in each plane to set.

Make sure no ferrous metal is near you when calibrating your P3.

I'm on the latest firmware with no issues, btw.

Reactions: snowghost
Flew my new P3P a couple of days back for the first time. After having issues updating to the new firmware (controller nor the drone made the proper noises and lights to indicate successful firmware update, although text file on the SD card said it was a success?) I was a little nervous to fly it.

After take off and at about 50', the drone just flew in wide circles uncontrollably for about 30 seconds, I couldn't keep it stable. Finally it did calm down and stayed in place....Anyone know what the heck was going on and if I should be worried?

I am a long time flier of a Phantom 2 +...flew the thing about a 100 times with zero issues. Haven't been a fan of the P3P so far....
A few thoughts.

Perhaps you had a bad compass calibration, but the fact that it settled down makes me wonder.

Maybe you took off before full GPS mode was established?

You lost your chance to keep a more reliable and functional FW version. Like very many, I would love to still be on 1.1.9. You should read up on the issues introduced with the latest FW so you'll be ready to recognize and react to them if you see them. Not everyone does see them, but many do so be ready.

Reactions: JoBe
I feel there are 2 camps when it comes to firmware - if you weren't/aren't having issues with 1.1.9, stay with it. If you are having issues, then upgrade. I wonder how many people that are running fine on the latest firmware had issues with 1.1.9, and how many have had no issues throughout. I run 1.1.9 and have never had any issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers