Noobie here

Reaction score
Hey guys just got my first real drone for my birthday P3P. Exciting to get some flying time in. I have a question if your using your phone with the DJI app what happens during fly time when you get a call? Does the drone just hover?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Does the drone just hover?

Fly,

For the most part it will just continue to operate as it normally does and will just be a distraction. However, I always put my devices in Airplane Mode anytime I'm flying. That'll eliminate any distractions or possible interference.

Jerry

Reactions: PhantomPlanet
The drone is flown with your remote controller -- not the DJI GO app. So, an incoming call on your phone will not affect your flight. As Jtrjr noted though, it's not going to be easy to chat on the phone and fly at the same time.

Thanks. I would most likely ignore the call but was just curious if it would affect it some how. Once again thanks for the info

I leave my phone on long enough to allow Google Maps to update at the start. If you're near a WiFi signal, you can use that for the maps, too.

Then after takeoff, I go into airplane mode (more to reduce the data load on the phone, than because it's unsafe, which it isn't). But if I forget, everything's fine. The less that's going on with your phone, the less chance of signal lags.

When I use my tablet. I have the tablet's WiFi connected to my phone's hot-spot. That works out ideally, because there are few other apps on the tablet.

If you forget to use airplane mode, just don't answer the phone when someone calls.

It's a dig distraction to get a call or text message during flying. I got this on my very first flight. I started then in airplane mode, all ok then.

It's a dig distraction to get a call or text message during flying. I got this on my very first flight. I started then in airplane mode, all ok then.
As I mentioned above, yes, it's kind-of scary to get a call or text while you're flying, especially if you're new. However, it does not affect the flight. In fact, if your phone is misbehaving in any manner, you can even turn if off, reboot it, and then restart the DJI app. And it will reconnect. Try this at a low altitude in a safe environment. This works best, of course, if you're flying in GPS mode with no people or property below, and have enough battery power. The Phantom can be controlled from the remote alone. Just press RTH (making sure it's high enough) if you get confused. Keep the phone on at the beginning of the flight to allow the map to reset, then go into airplane mode if you want to.

Reactions: alokbhargava
Just remember being new to always calibrate your drone before you fly. Moving from location to location and flying can possibly lead to your drone flying away to an old location. I've read some horror stories. Please also be responsible. Good luck!

Not meaning to be disputatious (is that a word?) I promise! But you only need to re-calibrate the compass when you travel more than 50-100 miles from that last time you did it. As long as everything's been working well wherever you are. The RTH point is set by the GPS coordinates each time you start a flight. That's one reason to use auto-takeoff. Not only does it hover at four feet, so you can judge the unit's stability before you go higher, but you'll hear the GO App say "The home point has been set." Some people don't like the auto-takeoff feature. Either way, you can also manually reset the home point from the phone/tablet at any time. Additionally, that's why I keep saying that I leave my phone connected during takeoff, so I can see the correct Google Map. It's one more way to stay oriented in case you loose sight of the Phantom. The posts you've seen about it returning to a strange location have occurred after a bad disconnect between the drone and the remote when the drone resets the home point on its own. If you suspect that happened, reset the home manually after reconnecting. Bottom line, keep it in sight as best you can! :)

But you only need to re-calibrate the compass when you travel more than 50-100 miles from that last time you did it.
Anyone who read the complete DJI manual might be confused by this -- since it recommends calibrating the compass before every flight. The best advice can be found here though.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
The drone is flown with your remote controller -- not the DJI GO app. So, an incoming call on your phone will not affect your flight. As Jtrjr noted though, it's not going to be easy to chat on the phone and fly at the same time.
Why? People drive and chat/text all the time. o_O

Thanks for all the info guys. I've watched a few tutorials on line. I plan to stay below 75 feet in open area till I get good feel for it.

I've heard of other people use a different or another app for their drone beside the DJI go app, is better ones?

I've heard of other people use a different or another app for their drone beside the DJI go app, is better ones?

Fly,

I fly with Litchi but you shouldn't worry about that just yet. Get extremely familiar with DJI Go first. You can switch apps when you're an expert! :)

Enjoy!

Jerry

Is there better ones?
My suggestion would be to master DJI GO before trying another app. You can find a list of commonly used DJI GO alternatives here.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj