Noob with a Phantom 2 and GoPro

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone rolls their eyes when one of us noobs post a video. ;)

There isn't anything new or exciting here. Just me flying the Phantom around a bit and learning how it handles. It is a LOT easier to fly than any of my other birds.

If you have a few min to kill and care to check it out. Here is the link.

https://vimeo.com/82694211

Couple of questions.

1) This is the Phantom Vision 2 correct?

2) Did you use any stabilization in your video editing or was this straight from the camera?

3) What settings did you have the gopro on for recording?

Hi Brain,

Sorry for missing your questions here on the forum.

I see you asked the question on the video itself. I'll post the answers here as well.

The video is straight out of the camera no stabilization in post. I did do some color correction because the GoPro recorded a low contrast image with all the shooting towards the sun.

That is the Phantom 2 (non-vision) with a Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal and GoPro Hero3 Black.

The camera was set to 2.7k Wide.

Chris

The video I seen is super steady. (compared to earlier phantom flights without gimbal) and the vision 2. Did you have to put the gimbal on..if so was it fairly easy? (I am a photographer, web guy not a RC hobbiest who can turn plastic parts into functional works of art..lol)

I am almost sold..my main purpose is for camera stills. I am leaning on buying this then exporting stills from gopro software or just do a screen shot.

Did you do any lense correction? Your video almost has no lense ben/curvature. (whatever it is called). I did notice on a few shots that there was some prop shadowingin the upper corners. (no biggie...)

Cool..as far as software. Do you use adobe primier, the gopro studio or something else?

The gimbal comes in a separate box. You have to install it. It is pretty simple. 6 screws and a ribbon cable that plugs into the gimbal. You can see the DJI video on the process here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjRaCYtQtvM

You can program the GoPro to do timed sequence of stills. This will give a better result than grabs from the video. Set the GoPro to take a still every second then position the Phantom in the right location for say 10 seconds. That will give you several hi rez shots to choose from.

I'm editing in Avid Media Composer v7. Since I didn't do any fancy color correction I used the Symphony option for Media Composer on that video. If I have to do any serious color correction to do I use Davinci Resolve.

I didn't apply any lens correction to the image. I'm going to go through the different FOV options on the GoPro and see which one gives me the best compromise between lens distortion and image quality. I've not really started that yet. I've just been having fun flying the machine around.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie