Noob with a few questions can't really find online

Reaction score
Hi,

Just picked up a Phantom 2 Vision Plus from BH photo - with extra batter, 32 gb ram, and carrying case.

I tired calling the Vision phone number for "customer support" pre-posting this question but it keeps hanging up on me after its telling me there is 15 people ahead of me!

MY PURCHASE PURPOSE:
I am a photographer/web developer and plan on using this solely for Golf Course Flyovers - "Each 18 hole's" faded together for web video's that can be displayed on my clubs website, and possibly others.

QUICK BACKGROUND:
I purchased a smaller quad copter "raptor I think it was called at cost of about $100) at a hobby shop months ago and basically mastered flying the thing indoors in efforts to prepare myself for the phantom ( I am fairly confident I will be able to fly the phantom in ATTI or maybe even Manual mode )

TECH QUESTIONS:
1. I decided to switch NAZA mode ON after reading all the "Fly Aways" problems that seem to be flooded online - I want to stay thinking positive about my purchase and hope it's just Pilot error not understanding how difficult it could be flying the phantom without GPS Vision mode by loosing satellites mid flight and going into ATTI mode or also without setting GPS home lock pre-flight ( no rebar or electrical magnetic conflicts ) - How do you do "Reset GPS Home Lock" with NAZA on? It is not very clear in the Manual.... I assume you flick S2 switch 5 or so times correct? BUT I also have NAZA S2 turned to course lock and home lock... will this interrupt the reseting of home position???

2. I will be shooting for web and most likely uploading to Youtube, Vimeo, etc.. to host the video. I will probably also be increasing the speed up the video 2x maybe 3x. I don't think I will need slo-mo. I did a test run and figure in order to keep peoples attention to watch all 18' holes of the golf course it would make sense for each hole to be about 10-15 seconds or so... and I estimate flying the hole will take me a little less then a minute. I will be using iMove to edit the video and upload. What Video Recording Mode Is Best? 720p to save room? or screw it just do 1080??

3. Fantastically DJI added this new feature Flying Limits near Special Airport Locations... The course I want to shoot is 5 miles or so away from one. I was at the course fully charged battery and sat the Copter down and it wouldn't stop giving me a few Green Lights Indicator then BOOM 10 super fast Red lights warning! I am trying to assume this because I am "Close to a No-Fly Zone, and a warning pops up on my iPhone"... Is this correct? Their documentation is kinda sketchy on the website - also I thought the the 10 super fast Red lights warning indicator was for VERY low battery warning... Why would they have the same warning? This is confusing.. or is something else crazy wrong with my Phantom out of the box?

4. Also... should I be concerned with "Fly away" and just forget about every GPS feature they have and just run the Copter in ATTI or Manual Mode to try and avoid a catastrophic failure by losing my $1500 or possible hurting someone and getting sued? If I can avoid that - Maybe its worth it to just really learn how to fly the thing without all the awesome GPS features just to be safe...

5. I will most likely be in a golf cart chasing the Copter down each Fairway 1 through 18 trying to accomplish the whole course in less then 40 minutes. Is there any settings I should be aware of to make this a better, smarter project? I noticed in the NAZA I can switch Return to Home position to just Hover in one location rather then actually returning from the position you left off at.... I will not be standing still - If GPS is on and I go out of range because golf courses can be fairly large will my Copter just bug out and return to home if I go to far? What the best solution here? Should I be constantly Reseting Home position after each hole? Or just turn return to home to hover? Or just do this all in ATTI mode?

6. Also in NAZA I enabled manual mode for S1 down switch... again I did this just incase I might need to resort to it if I am getting some odd behavior... I has the option for "Failsafe" that should return to Home feature - but isn't that the same exact thing as just turning OFF the remote? I would assume if there is no difference why not just have the extra option available to you.

*** Basically I have been sitting inside ready about all the horror stories online... I have only had this thing since yesterday and its fully charged ready for me to take it outside to the park for a test spin but I am kind of nervous about it and seek some expert advice. Before I purchased this I was super excited and from what I read online and saw it seemed really easy to use ! *****

First video, first flight - real basic just trying to get a feel for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQYbV3i ... xLiDUBRWpA

I really appreciated your help, thank you in advance for you time.
-O

muhupower said:
It is not very clear in the Manual.... I assume you flick S2 switch 5 or so times correct? BUT I also have NAZA S2 turned to course lock and home lock... will this interrupt the reseting of home position??? [/b]

Page 19 http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .26_en.pdf

muhupower said:
What Video Recording Mode Is Best? 720p to save room? or screw it just do 1080??

"Saving room" isn't a concern given how cheap storage is. For best results capture at the best quality possible.

muhupower said:
Why would they have the same warning? This is confusing.. or is something else crazy wrong with my Phantom out of the box?

Page 45 http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... 1.3_en.pdf

muhupower said:
Maybe its worth it to just really learn how to fly the thing without all the awesome GPS features just to be safe...

And read the manuals.

muhupower said:
5. I will most likely be in a golf cart chasing the Copter down each Fairway 1 through 18 trying to accomplish the whole course in less then 40 minutes. Is there any settings I should be aware of to make this a better, smarter project? I noticed in the NAZA I can switch Return to Home position to just Hover in one location rather then actually returning from the position you left off at.... I will not be standing still - If GPS is on and I go out of range because golf courses can be fairly large will my Copter just bug out and return to home if I go to far? What the best solution here?

Just expand the flight limits.

Page 44 http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... 1.3_en.pdf

Thanks for the response.. the thing is I did review the manuals, I felt they may be worded a little confusing and didn't give me a clear answer..

Again, I just wanted some reassurance from people who actually had hands on experience rather then just assume.

muhupower said:
2. I will be shooting for web and most likely uploading to Youtube, Vimeo, etc.. to host the video. I will probably also be increasing the speed up the video 2x maybe 3x. I don't think I will need slo-mo. I did a test run and figure in order to keep peoples attention to watch all 18' holes of the golf course it would make sense for each hole to be about 10-15 seconds or so... and I estimate flying the hole will take me a little less then a minute. I will be using iMove to edit the video and upload. What Video Recording Mode Is Best? 720p to save room? or screw it just do 1080??
I would do 1080 at highest quality. When editing, speeding up your video will make any flying errors stand out. I suggest you edit (cut out the boring parts) and use a cross dissolve to do some editing. Also, perhaps I over estimate golf people, but I don't think 60 seconds is too much to ask from a golf hole.
muhupower said:
3. Fantastically DJI added this new feature Flying Limits near Special Airport Locations... The course I want to shoot is 5 miles or so away from one. I was at the course fully charged battery and sat the Copter down and it wouldn't stop giving me a few Green Lights Indicator then BOOM 10 super fast Red lights warning! I am trying to assume this because I am "Close to a No-Fly Zone, and a warning pops up on my iPhone"... Is this correct? Their documentation is kinda sketchy on the website - also I thought the the 10 super fast Red lights warning indicator was for VERY low battery warning... Why would they have the same warning? This is confusing.. or is something else crazy wrong with my Phantom out of the box?
I have flown near an airport and I do get the flashing red lights sometimes. The craft doesn't fly well with the red lights, and in general, they scare the **** out of me. I don't know if they indicate a nearby airport or some other issue, but with the issues that have been written about here, I land and investigate, and if I can't get the thing to fly right, I give up and go home.
muhupower said:
4. Also... should I be concerned with "Fly away" and just forget about every GPS feature they have and just run the Copter in ATTI or Manual Mode to try and avoid a catastrophic failure by losing my $1500 or possible hurting someone and getting sued? If I can avoid that - Maybe its worth it to just really learn how to fly the thing without all the awesome GPS features just to be safe...
In my opinion, and the general consensus on this board, is that the flyaways are generally some fault of the user. While the helicopter CAN fly while 3000ft away from you, unless there is a shot that requires this, I like to be close enough to see it. If you stand just behind the golf tees in every shot, and operate 100-300 yards for each shot, I don't think you'll see any problems.
muhupower said:
5. I will most likely be in a golf cart chasing the Copter down each Fairway 1 through 18 trying to accomplish the whole course in less then 40 minutes. Is there any settings I should be aware of to make this a better, smarter project? I noticed in the NAZA I can switch Return to Home position to just Hover in one location rather then actually returning from the position you left off at.... I will not be standing still - If GPS is on and I go out of range because golf courses can be fairly large will my Copter just bug out and return to home if I go to far? What the best solution here? Should I be constantly Reseting Home position after each hole? Or just turn return to home to hover? Or just do this all in ATTI mode?
I'd stand at the tees on hole 1, fly the shot for hole 1, land on the tees of hole 2. Drive the golf cart to hole 2. take off, fly the shot for hole 2, land on the tees of hole 3. Repeat.

My strategy would be to not lose control of the aircraft, instead of "what to do when I lose control of the aircraft."
muhupower said:
*** Basically I have been sitting inside ready about all the horror stories online... I have only had this thing since yesterday and its fully charged ready for me to take it outside to the park for a test spin but I am kind of nervous about it and seek some expert advice. Before I purchased this I was super excited and from what I read online and saw it seemed really easy to use ! *****
It is really easy to use. Find your favorite restaurant on yelp and go read all the terrible reviews. Somebody might eat at that restaurant every week for a year and never post about it, but the ONE time they find a cockroach in their food.... ;-)

Likewise, the thousands (tens of thousands?) of people who have these drones don't post on these forums. But drive the thing into a grove of trees, now they're looking for a place to vent.

Thanks Photomikey - very good advice! Gave me confidence...

-- As far as speeding up the video I guess I will have to make the judgement call down the road once I have the video to review.

-- I like your idea of standing on the T box - but you are saying then land on the next T box while I am still at the first T box... I guess I always assumed when landing the Copter it would be right in front of you like a few meters or so... Is landing it a few hundred yards away hard to do? Do you just use the iPhone video camera to judge the landing?? It would be great if there was a button on the remote to just make the Copter land where it is...

* Do you maybe suggest I change the NAZA settings to hover if you loose remote connecting after completing the first hole.. then drive up and close to in in the golf cart - flick on the remote to regain control and continue instead of having to land 18 times?

-- Flight Zones: Yes the red lights flash fast while near the airport ( at least thats what I think its indicating ) but can't do anything about where the course is located...It scared the hell out of me too... Does anyone else have knowledge of while you are near an Airport in Zone B that the indicator is green flashes followed by fast red flashes? AND if so - visually it will be a little annoying seeing that but it shouldn't effect my flight at all right... Other then Max-Height

Is there a way to disable the, LED flight indicators will blink red quickly - When in a Flight Limit mode near Airport then?

Isn't having the LED flight indicators will blink red quickly somewhat distracting?

muhupower said:
-- I like your idea of standing on the T box - but you are saying then land on the next T box while I am still at the first T box... I guess I always assumed when landing the Copter it would be right in front of you like a few meters or so... Is landing it a few hundred yards away hard to do? Do you just use the iPhone video camera to judge the landing?? It would be great if there was a button on the remote to just make the Copter land where it is...

* Do you maybe suggest I change the NAZA settings to hover if you loose remote connecting after completing the first hole.. then drive up and close to in in the golf cart - flick on the remote to regain control and continue instead of having to land 18 times?

-- Flight Zones: Yes the red lights flash fast while near the airport ( at least thats what I think its indicating ) but can't do anything about where the course is located...It scared the hell out of me too... Does anyone else have knowledge of while you are near an Airport in Zone B that the indicator is green flashes followed by fast red flashes? AND if so - visually it will be a little annoying seeing that but it shouldn't effect my flight at all right... Other then Max-Height

-- It will be much more difficult to land hundreds of yards away, as you will be doing it by FPV alone. Try doing an FPV only landing right in front of you! Now couple that with the fact that, as you get close to the ground a few hundred yards away, you are likely to lose control and/or FPV, triggering a RTH. I would suggest bringing her back, or allowing her to hover near the next T until you get there. Mind your battery meter!

-- I've only had the airport proximity warning once. I did get the fast red flashing, and lots of warnings popping up on my screen about height restrictions. (It still allowed me to fly 305 meters high!) The rear lights sequence for restricted areas is "Fast Red for 3 seconds, then Normal Flashing for 5 seconds...repeat."

-- You mentioned one of the Failsafe choices being just to hover. I do not believe that is correct. Its either "Return to Home and Land," or "Land Only." The second means if you lose control, it lands right where it is! The latter is probably not the best choice.

Thanks Dirty...

You are correct. The second RTH options is just to land where it has lost connection - My Bad.

- Do you suggest I reset home position on each T Box? And in Naza Mode turned on with OTC turned on does the S2 switch also work by flickering it 6 or 5 times?

muhupower said:
Thanks Dirty...

- Do you suggest I reset home position on each T Box? And in Naza Mode turned on with OTC turned on does the S2 switch also work by flickering it 6 or 5 times?

I'd probably reset home on each T, or hover near the next T and set home there so you don't have to double back for your bird. (use the cam straight down to make sure you are in a good spot). You can reset home in both Vision & NAZA modes. Fast flight the left switch 5-6 times and you will see the rear lights flash fast green indicating the new home position has been recorded.

If I were you I would NOT fly In manual mode , it will be totally uncontrollable to you. Your better of flying in gps or atti in your new to this.
If your a total newbie just take it out some where's open and practice in close.
Seriously manual mode is really hard , something I tried and said screw that. Maybe if I was younger and faster and didn't have a gimbal hanging of the bottom.
Just take your time and practice , I go to the local HS athletic field when no ones around.

Dirty Bird said:
muhupower said:
Thanks Dirty...

I'd probably reset home on each T, or hover near the next T and set home there so you don't have to double back for your bird. (use the cam straight down to make sure you are in a good spot). You can reset home in both Vision & NAZA modes. Fast flight the left switch 5-6 times and you will see the rear lights flash fast green indicating the new home position has been recorded.

That's all the way from top to bottom. If you only do it top to middle, you are only changing the course lock direction (if your in NAZA).

1. Don't fill your mind with imagined horrors and spend your time preparing for them. I think you are making a mistake putting so much effort into working out how to fly without GPS. Don't be afraid of GPS - it's there for a reason and it's extremely valuable.
Go to a nice open area and fly to get a feel for the machine. Plan based on your experience with your machine - not what you imagine from a few 2nd hand tales of other people. The majority of flyers have no problems with the Phantom.

2. Don't think of landing hundreds of metres away. You wouldn't be able to see the ground conditions well enough to make a safe landing every time.

3. The Phantom software has some airport restricted areas built in but no restrictions for many more airports. To check whether you are affected by these go to http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc ... rather than wondering if flashing lights refer to an airport.

4. Don't get too adventurous. Keep your bird in sight.

Look, if you have enough batteries with you to shoot the whole course, just do it without landing. I have noticed that saving batteries when doing an epic shoot (18 separate one-hole videos) is important, and I have learned to land 100 ft from me in a wide open field without incident. I personally wouldn't land without having line-of-sight - and I can see it pretty well at a couple hundred feet to land.

muhupower said:
Hi,

Just picked up a Phantom 2 Vision Plus from BH photo - with extra batter, 32 gb ram, and carrying case.

TECH QUESTIONS:
1. I decided to switch NAZA mode ON after reading all the "Fly Aways" problems that seem to be flooded online - I want to stay thinking positive about my purchase and hope it's just Pilot error not understanding how difficult it could be flying the phantom without GPS Vision mode by loosing satellites mid flight and going into ATTI mode or also without setting GPS home lock pre-flight ( no rebar or electrical magnetic conflicts ) - How do you do "Reset GPS Home Lock" with NAZA on? It is not very clear in the Manual.... I assume you flick S2 switch 5 or so times correct? BUT I also have NAZA S2 turned to course lock and home lock... will this interrupt the reseting of home position???

I really appreciated your help, thank you in advance for you time.
-O

On the S1 (left toggle switch, must have NAZI-Mode :)
Pos 1 = Up = IOC off
Pos 2 = Mid = Course Lock
Pos 3 = Down = Home Lock (must be 10 meters away for it work)

Just to clarify, in the first 60 seconds when you power up the phantom, you'll notice it will flash rapidly twice. One is home lock, where it locks the Return to Home (RTH) Position. The second is when you lift off and move. This is the Course Direction lock.

To set new Course Lock position:
CL = rapidly flick 1 to 2 position (about 5 - 7 times) confirmation is rapid green flashes.
To set new Home position:
HL = rapidly flick 2 to 3 position (about 5 - 7 times) confirmation is rapid green flashes also.

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M_Intelligent_Orientation_Control
***NOTE Avoid doing this over ruggered terrain, inaccessible area or over WATER!!.

And for your footage:
I don't recommend this because you cant see the phantom lights from far, but you can land auto by setting in a new Home position and activate RTH.

I have done the reset of CL and HL a few times. Make sure you can see the lights of the phantom. Reason is my Transmitter Switch 1 failed on me. Position 1 (IOC =off) didn't work. I could only fly in CL or HL.
Just changed the S1 yesterday and going to test again this weekend.

Happy flying..

Just to add to that - S2 is actually the left switch, S1 is the right. You do want the left switch though (S2).

As for the fast flashing greens - first set are for the course lock (will happen exactly 30 seconds after power-on) the second set are home point set, (should happen 10 seconds after it has locked 6 sats).

The manual actually states for the home point being recorded that it happens when you start the motors for the first time after it has locked 6 sats for 10 secs but I checked today and I got the second set before I started the motors (about 10 secs after it got 6 sats..)

Okay,

So thanks for all the valuable information. I took it out for a spin in an open field yesterday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN9YUxx ... xLiDUBRWpA

Really fun to fly and very addicting - I can see why people love it so much.

1. As far as the T box to T box shooting on the course I don't think that will work... Some golf course holes are over 500 yards... When I was test flying the thing at about 100 yards I was getting nervous about the distance. It gets very small just not as controllable visually as if I was around 50 yards. So I think it would be best to trail it in a Golf Cart.. Thus also transitioning to the next hole would be easier - no need to land or let it hover and kill battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl