Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Noob wifi (Phantom and GoPro, et al) questions ...

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by GneeChee, Mar 2, 2014.

1. GneeChee

Okay, so I've been following the Gimbal wars ... quite amusing (some of you need a few valiums :)), but the back and forth about it all has got me thinking about my next purchase - whether it be a gimbal, or a new Quad (or hexa, or octa, or dodeca, or google)

So anyway, I've read that running your GoPro-type camera's wifi at the same time as the wifi on the phantom can cause problems ... namely flyaways ... is this correct?

Then I believe I read that somebody was using his camera's wifi to make adjustments while flying. Surely he's not risking a flyaway, is he? Or are *some* uses of the camera's wifi acceptable?

I guess I'm missing something here ... I guess the real question is this - if you purchase a sooper-dooper ultra good camera and strap it on a gimbal - do you have *any* use of it's great features while flying?

If not, what's the point? Is it merely picture/vid quality?

EDIT: I'm not a photographer ... just a new hobbyist trying to understand my options :)

2. GneeChee

So I guess those were stoopid questions.

Oh well, I'll figure it out eventually.

3. themosttoys

I'll give it a shot.

4. GneeChee

Okay ... I very much appreciate your response ... Very helpful.

However, in hindsight I don't think I worded my questions properly.

I understand all that you said about the VISION ... but I meant to ask about quads in general - I didn't mean to imply that I was asking about the Vision - sorry.

Is there a conflict between a non-vision's transmitter and the wifi on an external camera? It seems I keep reading about flyaways being caused by having the external camera's wifi turned on.

I'm trying to understand what that is all about.

BTW - I understand the point behind a gimbal - I shouldn't have even mentioned the Gimbal Wars ... my bad :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

5. themosttoys

6. GneeChee

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I'm going to come at it from a different way.

I have a Vision, and since there are a number of people in this forum that are experienced with non-vision quads and with other cameras, I decided to ask in this forum.

I'm happy with the quality of my photos and vids. But as I said, I'm no expert in that area. But the more I fly my Vision and use the camera, I'm finding that I'm really enjoying the camera aspect of all this.

That's why I've been watching the gimbal threads. I *might* purchase one for my vision. But I may also decide that I want to get more into the photo and video side - which means I might go a different route - get a better camera and a different type of quad (as some in this forum have done).

If I purchase a better camera, any wifi features will be (should be) unavailable when strapped to a (non-vision) quad. But, I've read of people using their camera's wifi while flying the quad ... hence my confusion. That was why I asked about wifi conflicts, etc.

Anyway, when I asked "what's the point?", I was referring to people who use wifi enabled cameras on their gimbals.

Clear as mud? :)

Anyway - themosttoys - thanks for taking the time and responding to my convoluted, bass-ackwards way of asking questions :)