Noob wants FPV and gimbal

Reaction score
I just got my Phantom and I'm hooked. I'm a serious (no kidding) amateur photographer and I'm looking forward to getting some good video footage. I have quickly come to the conclusion that this will not be possible without the addition of FPV and a gimbal mount. I'm thinking of purchasing both very soon. I'm concerned about both playing nice together. I'm also concerned about the amount of mods that may be needed to make this happen. And, of course, there's the amount of money, though this is less of a concern for me.
From a quick scan of this forum it looks like people are gravitating towards the Fat Shark FPV and either the Arris or Zenmuse gimbals. What are the pros and cons? How about HD goggles vs SD goggles vs a screen? I wear glasses, does this make one choice better than another? What are some of the mods that we're talking about? What will it need in terms of extra cabling? Does the Fat Shark hook somehow to the output of the Hero 3?
Sorry if these are a lot of questions but if you could give me some hints and point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Carey

Hello,
You can choose these "kits":

1) Fat Shark goggles only. (may be difficult because you wear glasses)
2) Fat Shark goggles and extra LCD Monitor, Laptop or VCR for dual viewing (Attitude sugested). Better for filmin with co-pilot help director ;)
3) Non Fat Shark stuff, just any brand VTX + RX Integrated on LCD Monitor (5.8Ghz sugested)

Watch my diagrams here for better finding. Hope this help you.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25052727&postcount=4

PD: LCD may be mounted over a tripod or directly on top your TX with a mount extension.

LCD-Mount1.jpg

LCD-Mount2.jpg

LCD-Mount3.jpg

I use a SD monitor. Many like the goggles but I'm not ready to not see the Phantom while its flying.
You will need a downlink and a cable out to power it up along with a receiver.
DJI gimbal has been released but no one has had it delivered yet.
I'm still having issues will vibration jello with the GoPro and trying up sort that out.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jumanoc and Edunwody for replying so quickly.
The diagrams were very helpful.
I also was unaware that the Zenmuse wasn't shipping yet.
Carey

hopefully you can make the goggles work.

gimbals are touchy subjects,. people are having success with the Arris, but it's definitely a bit touchy..
Zenmuse will be better,. but much more.
..and there's a number of other gimbals coming out in the next few months to consider (Tarot for instance)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20