Noob says hi

Reaction score
Ordered my Phantom 2 Vision yesterday, it arrives tomorrow, obviously a bit excited, happy to find this forum too.

Obviously I am hoping for not a lot of wind, I plan to do all the quick start guide, firmwares (I think that is camera, Vision 2, Wifi extender and Transmitter!), look at it carefully and shake to check for rattles then make sure battery is charged, calibrate compass and try small flight to start, up and down, that sort of thing to learn controls. Have a Hubsan H101 4ch heli, expecting this to be much easier.

I'm planning to get some small road cones to mark take-off / landing areas since there are always people wherever I will be in the UK, I will stay far away from them but even I get 50m from another soul to take-off a dog would run over within a few minutes followed by owners etc. Any other tips to deal with overly curious onlookers with no sense of self preservation, other than as politely as possible (and my plan of road cones + "danger" tape)?

Or others for first flight - I'll need to buy a Micro SD I think. I've browsed here so seen things like somebody's suggested maintenance / monitoring checklists, some ideas of things to look out for

Can't wait to take pics :cool:

Welcome, looks like you've done your homework! Only one thing to add, no firmware in the range extender to update (unsure if there ever will be with that one). Also if you have the latest Receiver firmware then you will also have the latest transmitter firmware as they come as a matched set, so if that's the case no need to plug the Tx in unless you want to...

The rules about getting close to people in the UK apply to persons "not under your control". If you're talking to a dog walker next to you about the aircraft hovering 50ft up 100ft away then I'd count that as under your control (and it's 30m away on take-off or landing, 50m in flight). Don't forget, the 50m stipulation includes height not just horizontal - at 164ft off the deck you're legal. I try never to hover over anyone, though. If there's a mechanical or structural failure it's mainly going to go straight down...

The cones are an interesting idea (and if you ever go for your commercial UAV permission they will expect you to use some form of control barrier to protect the take-off/landing zone) but might just prove irresistible to those dogs! I've never had a problem moving a small aircraft like the Vision to a clear spot for take-off - if it was a place so busy I couldn't find somewhere suitable then it's probably not an appropriate place to fly in the first place, in my opinion.

Have great fun if the weather plays ball (a bit windy here at the moment...)

thank you Pull-Up

forgot to say - I got third-party insurance for myself and my wife too by joining the "British Model Flying Association"

I have so many plans for what I want to film, I am big on stills but I'm pretty sure this will swing me back to short home movies

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic