Noob Question with FPV

Reaction score
Just wanted to say Ive really been enjoying my phantom 2 the last few weeks. I ended up with a bad battery that wouldn't charge, but B&H had me send the old one out and replaced it with a new one last week. Ive had several successful flights with the phantom and am starting to get braver. Ive had it a couple hundred feet in the air and am scared to go higher because I can barely see the lights underneath. I could have sworn I saw it go from green to yellow the last flight and ended up taking it down where the color (i think) turned back to green. It could have been green the whole time, Im really not sure.

At this point I think it would be wise to go with a FPV setup. I was planning on getting an iosd mini setup. Would that alone be all I needed to transmit a video signal back to a ipad/iphone? Is there soldering involved with this? I watched a couple youtube vids and it seems like it would be just a basic connection inside if I understand correctly. Thanks for any help.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish but you are asking for FPV. (first person view) and with a Phantom 2 with operating at 2.4Ghz frequency.

1. If you want to display FPV you need a camera. and preferably a gimbal to hold that camera. If you have a P2 with a gimbal and gopro your set. but there are tons of options for this
2. iOSD mini: transmit on screen flight data overlay
3. Transmitter and receiver: Transmit and receive at 5.8 GHz Receiver
4. Display

I have a P2 with Zemuse Gimbal and Gopro 3+ Black.

I purchased iOSD mini, DJI FPV hub (no soldering and plug and play!), and Boscam 7" Monitor w/ built-in Dual 5.8ghz Video Receiver and DJI 5.8ghx VTx with Clover leaf antenna (from http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=257). That's it! I dunno what extra or how to use a receiver to send to your ipad. i like the boscam monitor because it includes battery, and transmitter and in diversity mode scanned for the transmission.

Thanks for the reply.

I think part of my problem was I'm not sure what it is exactly I'm looking for, but your post did help.

I have a p2, with zen gimbal, and go black 3+. What I would like would be to have the ability from the ground to see what the go pro is seeing. My problem now is as the phantom gets too high in the sky or away from me it is easy for me to lose orientation or not be able to see the lights on the phantom and would like more data to be fed back to me at ground level.

Does the only thing the iosd mini do is transmit flight data onto the recorded image from the go pro?

How do I get the video feed down to me at ground level? I've seen the goggle option, but am not thrilled with not being able to see the entire quad in the sky.

Thanks for any help and I apologize for not explaining myself well enough in my first post.

the setup i just gave you was the simplest setup.

the iosd mini allows the data overlay on the screen. the DJI FPV hub allows you to connect everything together without any soldering... it's only like $20 bucks. You need a transmitter to transmit the signal at 5.8GHz.

Basically everything connects to the hub by plugging it in... and the iOSD connects to the cam-bus. There's a diagram for the instructions on the DJI FPV hub on DJI.com under P2 support.

Now of course you need to receive the signal. and someplace to display the signal and power to that receiver and display.

Thats why I chose the Boscam... built in receiver and lipo battery.

What you will see is what the GOPRO sees with flight information overlay on it. GPS data. all flight data including distances. Battery level. "artificial Horizon" etc. from the iOSD. Where Home is... it's pretty cool .

I'm not new to RC but I flew Nitro heli's wayyyy back and am pretty new to UAVs. but you should be able to handle this setup very easily I did. All i needed was velco and double sided tape.

d4ddyo....can you list the components required to get up and running with fpv? is it like:
1. hub (gets mounted to P2)
2. transmitter (gets mounted to P2)
3. screen (gets mounted to controller)
4. receiver (mounted to controller)
?

this is the diagram i followed which a screenshot from FPV hub instructions that you can download from dji.com under support/phantom2/downloads

I made all the connections. Mounted transmitter behind gimbal with velcro. mounted the iosd on backside of transmitter and the hub on top of transmitter.

For the time being. I charged up my boscam screen and used a tripod to mount the screen. OH... and you probably have to run the OSD software to make sure all data fit in screen. Turn down volume of screen because you will get sound from the go pro.

I found a cool transmitter screen mount that I liked right here on classified section of this forum.

You will have a lot of questions but just download the manuals to all the parts and it will make sense.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 11.34.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-23 at 11.34.36 PM.png
    130.9 KB · Views: 531
I do like it. Range? not sure .. haven't tested range. i still want to get some clover leaf antennas for the screen/Tx. but FPV works great

I got the Boscam Monitor from Banggood and love it. $160 with free shipping. Just make sure you get the $6 power cord for it if you buy from them because Banggood doesn't include it.
http://www.banggood.com/Boscam-RX-LCD58 ... 08273.html

I thought about the hub, but didn't want the extra weight or the clutter on the outside of the shell. So I used this video to install my iOSD mini inside my phantom. Wasn't that hard at all and results in a nice clean look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8pqtEDuos

the weight is minimal. it is a neater but I hate soldering. LOL but it's still not a big deal. i could send a pic but i'm lazy. mine is pretty neat. all the cords are short so it's not like a spiderweb.

OH and don't ever buy from Banggood.com i though was getting a deal but if you ever have to get a return then you will regret the decision. Customer service is very bad! They don't communicate well. And they LIE. i finally got my refund for an item and it cost me the shipping back to China. i spent 150 .. it cost me 40 to return to them.

d4ddyo said:
OH and don't ever buy from Banggood.com i though was getting a deal but if you ever have to get a return then you will regret the decision. Customer service is very bad! They don't communicate well. And they LIE. i finally got my refund for an item and it cost me the shipping back to China. i spent 150 .. it cost me 40 to return to them.
Sorry to hear that. I had a great experience. Everything works great and arrived fairly quickly. I asked several questions before and after my purchase and they always answered my email overnight (due to time difference). I even ordered the wrong sma for 1 of my antennas and they are sending me a new one at NC.

Check out their forums. Most of the issues you will see have to do with shipping and they seem to be accommodating. I chalk it up to the Chinese business culture.

That being said... I know if I ordered the product here I would have gotten different service. 1st I would have gotten a return authorization and most likely a return postage label if they wanted the item back. In the beginning i was ok with an exchange. so the company would have sent out a new one probably with return label.

I got tired of dealing with them not believing me.. sending video after video and picture after picture. they did agree to refund and if not for paypal protection i probably would still be waiting. I am not the only one.

Like I said... check out their own forums. They won't even post a bad review for products. Look at all their reviews... all 5 star. seriously?!

d4ddyo said:
Check out their forums. Most of the issues you will see have to do with shipping and they seem to be accommodating. I chalk it up to the Chinese business culture.

That being said... I know if I ordered the product here I would have gotten different service. 1st I would have gotten a return authorization and most likely a return postage label if they wanted the item back. In the beginning i was ok with an exchange. so the company would have sent out a new one probably with return label.

I got tired of dealing with them not believing me.. sending video after video and picture after picture. they did agree to refund and if not for paypal protection i probably would still be waiting. I am not the only one.

Like I said... check out their own forums. They won't even post a bad review for products. Look at all their reviews... all 5 star. seriously?!
Agreed. I did notice all 5 star reviews for products and knew that was very fishy. I also knew dealing with a Chinese company was going to be difficult and so I asked a ton of questions before I ordered. Partly because I needed the answers, and partly because I wanted to see how they responded. I was definitely afraid of something arriving DOA because I knew the returns would be an issue. I think dealing with any China based company is a bit of crapshoot, but luckily it worked out for me on this one.

CJ31 said:
I got the Boscam Monitor from Banggood and love it. $160 with free shipping. Just make sure you get the $6 power cord for it if you buy from them because Banggood doesn't include it.
http://www.banggood.com/Boscam-RX-LCD58 ... 08273.html

I thought about the hub, but didn't want the extra weight or the clutter on the outside of the shell. So I used this video to install my iOSD mini inside my phantom. Wasn't that hard at all and results in a nice clean look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8pqtEDuos

I live in the US and the connector for the $6 power cord is european. Does it also come with the normal US adapter (Type A bleb blah)?

d4ddyo said:

:? I'm waiting on a monitor mount from them, it's a week late, I'm still hoping it will get here. So far they are maintaining contact with me and they've asked me to give them an extra week. I hope this ends well.

This video was really helpful when I was trig to figure out the FPV stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vba9GkS ... t_E5eRZ2YQ

I also used the information from ravecreative:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8066&start=20#p84177

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic