Noob needs advice

Reaction score
Hi guys!
This is the deal:
I work as a web developer in Mexico. Have done a few real estate websites. On the side, I am very interested in R/C, but never had the chance to own a helicopter or a quadcopter for that matter.

I thought I would kill two birds with one stone and get myself a Phantom with a GoPro camera to do aerial footage of some of the properties my customers want to sell/rent - and at the same time have some fun while making money. The town where I live has a very extensive offering of real estate, and I think I could make some money off doing aerial footage of the more expensive properties.

Do you think it is a viable setup? I am pretty confident I can get the Phantom up in the air and flying, but I have read a lot about jittery video (jelly?) that can be remedied by using foam and/or some kind of stabilizer that is set up with wires? Read about a $ 700 gimball (Pan/Tilt) about to be released. Is it true? Will it be worth the money?

Watching good Phantom footage, I think it is the way to go... but watching bad Phantom footage, I get scared of going all in and getting a setup like this. What is your take on this? Where can I get the cheapest setup? I have an LA address where I can get the stuff shipped to, and then take it to Mexico from there. Please share any experiences you might have had with this...

Thanks!!!
Otto

Welcome to the forum Otto.

I think you'll find a lot of shared experiences here in the forum and given how new the Phantom is most will be very recent.

I would suggest that you not worry about a gimbal just yet and focus on getting familiar with operating the Phantom and GoPro.

There are a number of techniques for reducing or removing "jello" in the video. Balancing the props on your Phantom would be a good first step as you are reducing the vibration at its source. Once you have done that, check your video to see what it is like. Isolation mounts or absorbing pads on the camera mount can also reduce the effects of vibration.

Shooting at a higher frame rate will reduce the jello effect as well. Learning to fly smoothly in ATTI mode will also reduce the amount vibration produced.

Hey Otto.

Just do it ! thats great idea and in other countries that works as a real new point of view for real state shots.
Begin flying naked phantom while you get confidence (that's pretty short time !) then buy a simple vibrating isolator for reducing "jello effect" and mount your GoPro. Finally, get any video stabilization software (some are free) and you're ready. These 2 anti jello worked for me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-DJI-P...adio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item3cd124c4d5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...adio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item1e7890fa12

Many causes of video "jello effect" (waves, wobies and jumps) are corrected with this actions (best if combined !):
1) Balance the propellers
2) Balance the motors
3) Set GoPro good settings: 1080 x 60 fps
4) Use a ND GoPro lens filter for bright sunny shots
5) Film flying slowly, smooth stick moves.
7) Mount your camera with any gimbal or tight mount with rubber or silicon grommets and other isolators
8) Better if use GoPro waterproof case. (heavier gives camera less unwanted movements, but also shorter flight time)
9) Optional, apply a stabilization software / youtube method available.

Finally, here is an "inspirating video":
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YDD7EdjKxc[/youtube]

Audaciter said:
This is a double post.
I need some advice too as I'm a complete NOOBIE! When I fly out more than 30 ft and flip to HL and turn the Phantom 90 degrees
to left or right and pull back on the rt stick the Phantom doesn't return to me but goes backward according to it's own axis which is straight rt or left. What am I missing?

cabodoug said:
Audaciter said:
This is a double post.
I need some advice too as I'm a complete NOOBIE! When I fly out more than 30 ft and flip to HL and turn the Phantom 90 degrees
to left or right and pull back on the rt stick the Phantom doesn't return to me but goes backward according to it's own axis which is straight rt or left. What am I missing?

Use CL mode.
Also, I always get it in CL mode before I even take off. Then as soon as I am in the air, the first thing I do before I fly it around is turn it 90 degrees, and pull it towards me to make sure the CL mode is working.

Just so you know, in order to get CL mode working before taking off I have found that once GPS is locked in, I have to turn OFF IOC on the controller, then turn it back on. Only after I turn it back on does it take effect.

cabodoug said:
Audaciter said:
This is a double post.

Good advice above but you also you might need to plug the Phantom into the Naza Assistant and make sure IOC is actually activated otherwise that switch won't do squat. I think newer models have it active as standard but older stock with 3.00 firmware don't. While you are there check your firmware version is 3.12 :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iysLuAr8_3g[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic