Noob here - Where can I find the best deal?

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Noob here ready to break the bank (somewhat..lol). I'm looking at getting the Phantom 2 version 2.0 and H3-3D combo to start. Amazon seems to have a decent deal on this combo.

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Quadc ... ntom+2+2.0

Anybody have any other places I could check out? Also, what inexpensive monitor do you recommend? Is using my phone as a monitor an option?

Thanks in advance!
Al

algee650 said:
Hi everyone!

Noob here ready to break the bank (somewhat..lol). I'm looking at getting the Phantom 2 version 2.0 and H3-3D combo to start. Amazon seems to have a decent deal on this combo.

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Quadc ... ntom+2+2.0

Anybody have any other places I could check out? Also, what inexpensive monitor do you recommend? Is using my phone as a monitor an option?

Thanks in advance!
Al

yeah the amazon deal is fine... I am sure if you look around on ebay you might be able to beat it... but I would go with amazon over ebay.

You will likely need to purchase a full FPV setup - I am using the kumbacam which works nicely but is a little more limited in distance than some of the other setups (just read through the FPV section and you'll see several different setups people use).

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Advanced- ... s=kumbacam

that's everything you need minus a 30.00 plug n play adapter that you'll need.

do you have a go-pro yet? because that's another 3 or 4 hundred too :)

so yeah... all in you're looking at about 2K for the setup - unless you go with a vision+

any particular reason you are choosing the non-vision over the vision? (I also fly the non-vision - so not a hater... just curious).

Hi Buckaye

Yeah I figured as much. I agree with you, Amazon over Ebay. Although Ebay has some pretty good deals (some include an extra batt) but for the amount of money I'm going to drop, I'd like to have peace of mind. BUT if the EBay seller has a solid rep, then I'd consider that option too.

I'll definitely need to check out the FPV section for monitor setups. Could I go without to start? haha....

I do have a gopro, so that's why I'm going with the non-vision.

Thanks for your input!
Al

algee650 said:
Hi Buckaye

Yeah I figured as much. I agree with you, Amazon over Ebay. Although Ebay has some pretty good deals (some include an extra batt) but for the amount of money I'm going to drop, I'd like to have peace of mind. BUT if the EBay seller has a solid rep, then I'd consider that option too.

I'll definitely need to check out the FPV section for monitor setups. Could I go without to start? haha....

I do have a gopro, so that's why I'm going with the non-vision.

Thanks for your input!
Al

yeah you can fly without - I have never had a FPV setup until Christmas... always been a direct visual pilot. However - I wasn't happy with the footage I was getting because you can only guess what your camera is seeing (and that's harder to do than you might think).

I do think flying without FPV has made me a good pilot (in terms of really understanding orientation) - so it can't hurt to start without it... but I think eventually you'll want that system.

oh and... in case you haven't see this already - DO NOT use the wifi on your go-pro as a way to get a cheap FPV - the signal will interfere with your controller... and you will soon have a $1500.00 ashtray.

The kumba cam deal is very overpriced. Remember with those pre-set FPV packages, you're spending an extra $100+ for a plug n play. Which also doesn't take into account the IOSD mini which is another $69. Be sure to read up in the FPV section and the search function is your best friend.

I just pieced my FPV kit together...

BP 7ch: $230
ImersionRC 600mw: $70
PnP Cable: $10
iOSD Mini: $70
Think I paid tax & shipping for the IRC and PnP cable, which was about $10

$390 out the door. Granted, I need to get a mount to attach the BP to my RC...but that shouldn't be too much. Gonna give the stock dipoles a shot for a while before I upgrade them.

mountaindr3wz said:
The kumba cam deal is very overpriced. Remember with those pre-set FPV packages, you're spending an extra $100+ for a plug n play. Which also doesn't take into account the IOSD mini which is another $69. Be sure to read up in the FPV section and the search function is your best friend.

I got it for Christmas.., and sure... We paid a bit more for the plug n play convenience...,had it up and running in 10 mins and works great,,, but yeah,. You can certainly do it cheaper.

I bought a complete kit from DSLRpros (Toronto Cinema Edition). This is a Phantom2 with, HD-3D gimbal, IOSD Mini, Flysight video transmitter, Black Pearl video receiver/monitor. It also came with an extra battery, plus they sent me a helical antenna a few weeks later. All in a hard case. In addition, the whole rig is flight tested by them before they ship it out.
So it's already to fly - you only need to add a GoPro.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl