NooB Compass Calibration Q's

Reaction score
As I am new to this forum, I want to introduce myself. I am fairly new to quads, but not to flying. I have my private pilots license (VFR, single engine) but haven't flown in quite some time, as it just got too time consuming and expensive (and lonely as my kids grew bored of flying with me). So after a few years away, I have moved on to quads. I have a couple of UDI 818A (my training birds), one still in the tree, and the second I just fished out of a huge foot-deep mud puddle, but it still flies.

Now my new P3S in on the way, and I have some questions regarding calibrating the compass that the books and my research haven't yet answered. In much of my reading, it says to stay "away" or stay "clear" of large metal objects and magnetic fields. What I don't see is how far "away" and "clear" actually mean. Is it 10 feet away, 100 feet, 1000 feet?

The next question is how big is "large"? Are we talking about power towers, TV antenna's, riding lawnmowers, or pie tins?

Lastly, can I calibrate "away" from "large" metal objects and then fly near them later?

I ask this as I have plans to do a lot of filming on the lake, In my mind I see a scene that starts on my boat dock (an open metal framed structure with a metal roof about 40'x30'). So can I calibrate it and launch direct from the dock? If not, can I calibrate on the shore and walk it out to the dock to launch? Or can I calibrate and launch from the shore and fly by at some distance to film it?

I know this is long winded and I appreciate anyone who bothered to read this far, and appreciate even more anyone who will bother to provide input.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Once the compass is calibrated for your location your fine till you move to a new geographical location. You are going to look for the best place in the immediate area with as little metal as possible so the compass gets a good calibration. So do it away from metal docks, no concrete (rebar inside), aluminum boats, metal framed picnic tables, steel pipe railings, you get the idea. You may be better off taking off from shore, the distance of the dock is small compared to what you will probably be flying right? I would also recommend the Getterback for your quad since you plan on flights over water. ;)

go to a bog open field and you should be ok.
worst thing that you can do is try to fly it from your back yard.

@LuvMyTJ Thanks for the help. As for the getterback, I wonder if they have a 200' version as some parts of this lake are DEEP?:(

A related question, can i calibrate it on shore, and drive it 3-5 miles down the lake in the boat without having to recalibrate? I know when I calibrate my truck compass for instance, as long I remain in the same region it does not need to be recalibration. Does this hold true for the Phantom?

@Dirby My backyard is a 33 square mile lake. Very, very few obstructions AGL.

go to a bog open field and you should be ok.
worst thing that you can do is try to fly it from your back yard.
Why do you believe it is not okay to fly from your back yard? It may not be ideal for some, but for others it is completely acceptable.

@LuvMyTJ Thanks for the help. As for the getterback, I wonder if they have a 200' version as some parts of this lake are DEEP?:(

A related question, can i calibrate it on shore, and drive it 3-5 miles down the lake in the boat without having to recalibrate? I know when I calibrate my truck compass for instance, as long I remain in the same region it does not need to be recalibration. Does this hold true for the Phantom?
Yes, that should be fine. And yes, it works like your truck. If your in the boat, be careful as to where your home point is. Don't set it and move the boat in case it goes into RTH... you don't want it landing in the open water. :eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20