Noob asking for a little clarification

MTH

Reaction score
Hi all,

Very new to hobbyist multirotor flying. I have been looking for safe and legal places in and around Phoenix, Az to learn to fly. I installed both B4UFLY and AIRMAP on my tablet. So far the two areas I have visited have Heliports near by; hospitals, hotels, random business, and a police station. Other places I would like to fly are within 5 miles of airports; Sky Harbor or a Class D Municipal airport. Another is listed as Phoenix Class B area A, No Fly Zone for Drones.

First, I was under the impression that all heliports must be contacted, which I try to do. Those that actually answered for the most part had no idea why I was calling. In fact the hospitals were asking what the emergency was and where to send the helicopter. The one business that answered acted like he know what I was taking about. None of the ones that answered had any type of controller for the heliport. Those with answering machines I left a message with my phone #. I even got a recording at the police station, "We are currently closed. If this is an emergency call this other number".

Second, Airports. I tried to call the number given by AIRMAP for Sky Harbor. The number did reach the airport, but the person I spoke to, again, had no idea what I was talking about. She transferred me to an extension that hung up on me. So I decided not to fly until I had a better understanding what I was doing.

So my questions. Do I have to call all Heliports listed in either app? If so do I have to call the ones again that have no clue next time I want to fly in that area? How do I get permission from the airports? Finally, and this may sound stupid but I will explain. Phoenix Class B area A really does mean no flying of radio controlled anything?

I didn't just pick locations to fly out of the air. (sorry about that) I was sent a list by the Phoenix Dept. of Parks and Recreation. 8 city parks that allow drone flying. Of the 8 there were 3 that had no restrictions according to either app, it's just that those 3 are the furthest from my house. Yes one of the parks on the list is in the Phoenix Class B area A circle on the map.

Thanks for any help.
Mitch

I would have to say first and foremost be careful with B4UFLY. I am a licensed pilot and therefore know airspace procedure and it has already given me inaccurate (in the name of safety) information. Truthfully but sadly, you may call a towered airport to inform them of your proposed drone flight 4.9 miles away with a max flight altitude of 50 feet and get hung up on as well.

When you said the Class B Area A for Sky Harbor, did you mean the inner, bowtie area? that is the only Class B (sfc) part of the airspace. For Class B airspace, neither hobby or Part 107 flights are allowed without prior authorization. if you are outside of the Bowtie, you don't have to worry about Sky (still need to call and notify) and all of the other airports in the area appear to be Class D, just requiring notification.

Also a noob so I don't have a lot of experience to draw from. I have been dealing with similar questions flying in the Phoenix area. I found a helpful resource pertaining to drone flights near Sky Harbor, here.

Also there is a 'Notify Us' page that they recommend using which seems to apply to all Phoenix Metro airports.

Finally, after reading about the poor reliability of the B4UFly app I downloaded Kittyhawk.io for iOS which seems to be pretty good.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl