Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Non Wide-Angle Lens on Phantom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kjopc, Aug 24, 2014.

1. kjopc

Does anyone use a camera on their Phantom where the lens angle isn't so wide?

I'd like to get shots that aren't quite so fish-eye distorted. Not sure I want to try an SLR on it but maybe there's something lighter?

Ken

2. Great Pumpkin

Whether one exists or not, you can remove the fish eye effect with Photoshop.

3. IrishSights

Or change the lens for a flat field one. Like the 5.4mm. Easy on a GoPro Hero3+Black.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

4. HarryT

This is why I use the "Medium" field of view on my GoPro. A much more natural-looking picture with no fisheye distortion.

5. enseth

6. ProfessorStein

Depends. The OP didn't specify what platform they were flying... so we don't know if their particular camera is capable of shooting RAW format or if there's a lens profile available.

But, yes, if they're flying a Vision-series and shooting RAW stills, Lens Correction gives excellent results. Not perfect, but great in most cases.

Can a GoPro shoot RAW, I don't even know.

Of course, this only applies to stills. Videos are another matter. And, again, I don't think the OP specified what they were shooting.

7. kjopc

I have the stock camera on the P2V and a Mobius ActionCam on the broken P2V+

The Sony A5000 looks quite nice.

8. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

No need to shoot RAW to use software correction. It works the same for JPG and video formats as well.

9. ProfessorStein

Nooooo... it most certainly does NOT "work the same" for JPG. Lens Correcting JPG images results in a TON of artifacting. If you've never corrected a RAW image, I would suggest you do so. You'll immediately see the difference. And then you'll probably never use JPG again. ;-)

And video depends very much on the format. If the video format is already massively compressed and/or interlaced, as most MPEG videos are, again, you're going to get a lot of artifacting.

10. kjopc

Which app are you referring to?

Ken

11. locoworks

the app on the phone as mentioned in the above post. go into the settings on the FPV screen and the icons appear on the left, when selecting video resolution the right hand half of the scroll wheels centre screen gives a wide and narrow option, but only for some resolutions IIRC?,personally i think it just crops the same image you get in wide mode so although you don't see the fisheye the same it is because the image is cropped already. i don't believe it does anything physical to the camera itself to change the FOV.

12. HarryT

Yes, the same is true on the GoPro - it's just cropping the sensor image. The narrower FOV makes the image look at lot better though, to my mind. Although you can remove the fisheye from the wide FOV in software, and the result looks fine as long as you're flying straight, you see some pretty weird distortion effects at the edges of the picture when you turn.