Non gps mode moments + log

I was flying today on an open field and craft was turning to non gps mode for couple of seconds and then get back to green Gps mode again. This happened couple of times.
Never crashed. No damage.
Attaching log

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
I have seen this same issue posted several times in the last 12 days or so. Lots of unusual GPS issues all of a sudden.

15 GPS satellites, but GPS repeatedly drops | DJI Phantom Forum

Note - please dont say its the KP index!

I've brought this GPS issue up in several threads now but it hasn't gotten any traction so maybe its nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trackman1
Like phone signals some areas have poor GPS reception. My home area is one of them. At one time I got 1 sat connection but that was years ago. Now I have 5 sometimes. But if I go a couple of miles away to my flying area I can get 15+. Go figure. You would think as the Sats are above us pointing down it would not be a problem but I guess your flying into a non or poor coverage area. I would be your still getting GPS but with fewer Sats. I would worry if everywhere you flew you had the low signal but if its only in that one spot Id just avoid it.

1600 feet up, id be more worried about helicopters than GPS dropping out... Healthy drones suggests controller mode change to ATTI, i wonder how accurate some of these logs are.

I have seen this same issue posted several times in the last 12 days or so. Lots of unusual GPS issues all of a sudden.

15 GPS satellites, but GPS repeatedly drops | DJI Phantom Forum

Note - please dont say its the KP index!

I have been noticing issues with the sats too. This seems to be the time people hit RTH and it's where did my birdy go.
OP kept his head and flew home.

I notice he had 10-15 sats at all times. One would think that would be enough. My car and motorcycle gps never complains of lost sat. unless I am in a tunnel.

I had mine slip into ATTI on one flight. Suspected it was the presence of a metal fence I was standing to close to with my controller and a bad compass calibration because of the same. I am thinking if the compass cannot coordinate its position with the flight controller GPS will error even if you have sufficient satellites.

1600 feet up, id be more worried about helicopters than GPS dropping out... Healthy drones suggests controller mode change to ATTI, i wonder how accurate some of these logs are.

Whats ATTI?

I wonder if anyone has done a 'both sticks back and in' to switch the drone off in an emergency to drop fast then tried to restart on the way down? Its a thought isn't it? And no I do not want to try it myself :)

Whats ATTI?

I wonder if anyone has done a 'both sticks back and in' to switch the drone off in an emergency to drop fast then tried to restart on the way down? Its a thought isn't it? And no I do not want to try it myself :)

ATTI is basically manual flight mode. It will only hold altitude using the barometer. It is the middle setting on the controller toggle switch. It will not hold position and drift with the wind and lack braking.

Reactions: Frankc
Ohhhh I see. I reckon thats what happened to my drone yesterday. The RC went from Green to red warning of weak signal. Promptly went sideways into a bramble bush. Spent the last day fixing the RC to get it back to normal flight. Had to re-link etc.

You should go to an open area and put the quad in ATTI and practice flying in ATTI. Is a useful skill to have.

My drone has been going in and out of attic the last few times I have gone flying. The first time I thought it was something I did by accident, but it happened a few more times. Glad to know I am not the only having this issue.

Mine did it yesterday on the 3rd flight of the day. This was the first time ever and reported a compass error, never did lose control and after about 10 seconds returned tp GPS mode and landed safely. I am running a new flytrex live 3g and not sure if this caused the problem.

Perhaps someone here can give a good explanation of how the flight controller, GPS, and compass interact. I don't think that people are losing satellites after having 15+. Without movement the GPS does not know heading unless the compass communicates such. I really think this has to do with a compass error. Perhaps when you are moving the heading between the compass and the GPS do not agree and it defaults to ATTI.

I had noticed switching forth and back to GPS mode only after switching to App version 2.5. Never saw it before. I call it a Geo Bug.

I had noticed switching forth and back to GPS mode only after switching to App version 2.5. Never saw it before. I call it a Geo Bug.

You know you may be right. My Go app auto updated. Don't have my device handy but will try and determine if the update was before my first experience.

Perhaps someone here can give a good explanation of how the flight controller, GPS, and compass interact. I don't think that people are losing satellites after having 15+. Without movement the GPS does not know heading unless the compass communicates such. I really think this has to do with a compass error. Perhaps when you are moving the heading between the compass and the GPS do not agree and it defaults to ATTI.

I think you pretty much nailed it when you say gps does not know direction when not moving. But I think the compass also gives it orientation. When moving the gps knows it's going north. But it may not know it is traveling sideways to the north. The compass would tell it if the front is pointed north, in the direction of travel. At least that's the way I figure it.

Couple weeks ago on my third flight my compass flaked out. Same location all three flights. Had to bring it back in ATTI and recalibrate the compass. Really strange behavior.

I think you pretty much nailed it when you say gps does not know direction when not moving. But I think the compass also gives it orientation. When moving the gps knows it's going north. But it may not know it is traveling sideways to the north. The compass would tell it if the front is pointed north, in the direction of travel. At least that's the way I figure it.

So we are dealing with magnetic orientation as opposed to a direction of travel the GPS reads. Would make sense that in the programming would default to ATTI when the compass is off as relying on GPS the aircraft could be facing any direction

Check out ianwood's post on compass calibration. He talks about what the compass actually is and how it works. Thinking it is a typical compass isn't quite right. It is really a 3D magnetic field discriminator.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers