Noisy FPV feed

Reaction score
So I've got a very poor video feed on my fly sight FPV RC801 I'm using Fat Shark mushroom antennae and I'm on Band F channel 1 the feed shows frame hold lines even a few feet or meters away. When in flight it still get frame hold lines and messy signal sporadically even with the antennae in sight of each other the good news is it's no worse even up to 750 meters (until I turn it around)

I'm planing to add a flat panel 14dbi gain antenna to the other diversity connection on the fly sight will this fix the video or just increase the range?

Would changing the Band and channel work?

Or can anyone help with other suggestions
Thanks
Tom

So I've got a very poor video feed on my fly sight FPV RC801 I'm using Fat Shark mushroom antennae and I'm on Band F channel 1 the feed shows frame hold lines even a few feet or meters away. When in flight it still get frame hold lines and messy signal sporadically even with the antennae in sight of each other the good news is it's no worse even up to 750 meters (until I turn it around)

I'm planing to add a flat panel 14dbi gain antenna to the other diversity connection on the fly sight will this fix the video or just increase the range?

Would changing the Band and channel work?

Or can anyone help with other suggestions
Thanks
Tom

Send a photo of how you have the antenna setup the P2. You may have the best antennas money can buy if they are not setup correctly you will poor reception. Here's a video on antennas that will also help.

Hi teslar,
changing band / channel has little effect. What you might look at first is:
- type of antennae (both LHCP / RHCP?)
- mounting of tx antenna?
In general, changing the rx antenna into a directional type will give you much better signal. Most recommended is either flat or helix. Observe polarity (LHCP/RHCP)!

Thanks the fat sharks are both black top which I was led to believe meant RHCP

The P2 side has the antenna at the rear and bent down. The FPV has the antenna bent upward

I had watched that video and some others which is what led me to buy the fat sharks and also order the flat panel which hadn't arrived yet. I also opened up to check there was a filter board fitted inside and there is. There is a mobile phone mast about 2km from my house which I'm thinking might be the problem

Thanks the fat sharks are both black top which I was led to believe meant RHCP

The P2 side has the antenna at the rear and bent down. The FPV has the antenna bent upward

I had watched that video and some others which is what led me to buy the fat sharks and also order the flat panel which hadn't arrived yet. I also opened up to check there was a filter board fitted inside and there is. There is a mobile phone mast about 2km from my house which I'm thinking might be the problem

The cell tower isn't interfering as it is 2km away. Seem your antenna setup is the real problem you are having. It is not unusual to have poor signal when the P2 is turned around and flying towards you as the signal is being blocked by the gimbal. Here again if you would take a video of the monitor screen it would help to understand and identify the problems you are having.

Yes I did expect the signal to be worse when the UAV turned around. Glad to hear I can rule out the cell phone mast. However I'm beginning to suspect the noisy gimbal was part of it as tonight I've tested it at home (non flying) and the problem is lessened since I resolved the noisy gimbal here's a photo of the set up
122a02696202dae4f5e29ae2338ab503.jpg

And here's a video of the noise on the FPV screen which is much less than it was

I'll try again with the motors running to see if that makes it worse again

I'll not be able to try it in flight until the weekend sadly

I have/had the same setup. I have the same FatShark antennas. I replaced the rubber duck antenna on the BP with an Immersion 13dBi patch antenna, and replaced the one on the Phantom with a Circular Wireless planar antenna and all is good. Had same issues as you did. Reason I changed antenna on the Phantom is that with using the 90 degree antenna connector the antenna hit the ground. The shorter one works better.

Thanks Ken. I'm waiting for my patch antenna to arrive then I'll replace the rubber duck.

So did you ditch both fat sharks. Or are you still using one on the FPV along with the patch. I'll check out the circular wireless planar to see if any are available in the UK do you happen to have a link ?

The right angle connector was just added tonight as I though if the antenna was lower it would help. You can see I had to bend it quite a lot to get the UAV to sit level :)

Last edited:
Thanks Ken. I'm waiting for my patch antenna to arrive then I'll replace the rubber duck.

So did you ditch both fat sharks. Or are you still using one on the FPV along with the patch. I'll check out the circular wireless planar to see if any are available in the UK do you happen to have a link ?

The right angle connector was just added tonight as I though if the antenna was lower it would help. You can see I had to bend it quite a lot to get the UAV to sit level :)

That's why I went with the planar, it was shorter, had the same issue you did. And yes, I kept one of the FatSharks on my monitor.

Here is the link to the planar:

Circular Wireless SPW58 Skew Planar Wheel 5.8 GHz FPV Antenna

Not sure if you can get it in the UK, but it's a start...

Ouch £95 on Amazon UK I'll check some of the RC sites I'm sure it will be available cheaper I see it's only $45 in the US

Yes I did expect the signal to be worse when the UAV turned around. Glad to hear I can rule out the cell phone mast. However I'm beginning to suspect the noisy gimbal was part of it as tonight I've tested it at home (non flying) and the problem is lessened since I resolved the noisy gimbal here's a photo of the set up
122a02696202dae4f5e29ae2338ab503.jpg

And here's a video of the noise on the FPV screen which is much less than it was

I'll try again with the motors running to see if that makes it worse again

I'll not be able to try it in flight until the weekend sadly

I have one suggestion either get longer landing gear or snap on extensions. I use the extension as my hard case cannot handle longer landing gear. One hard landing is all it takes to damage the camera, gimbal or both. These are what I use
DJI Phantom 2, Vision, Vision + Snap-on 30 MM Riser for landing gear.
IMG_1123.jpg

As for the noise i have the same thing and I am not bother by as I use the monitor to align the camera for what ever my shooting but there exception when I have use the solely when doing POI.

Guess I need not tell you what the CAA thinks about flying beyond VLOS..

Those look interesting I have ordered some spacers which get fitted between the body and the top of the landing gear. But the ones you have look more useful. Thanks for all he tips and ideas guys

If you want to put your antenna woes behind you - here's the last set of antennas you'll ever buy for your P2:

5.8GHz Premium Combo

They really do improve reception, even at very long distances.

Reactions: P3Pilot
Thanks but as I'm in the UK the cost of importing those it prohibitive. I've actually ordered a 2.4ghz half helix for the RC transmitter from Tony and it worked out significantly more expensive so I went for the Circular Wireless 5.8ghz skew planner for TX and a CW 7 Coil and a fatshark mushroom for the FPV end a bit of a mix and match but when it all arrives I'll post and update with my findings

Reactions: Qoncussion

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4