Noise level of Phantoms 4P versus Mavic pro.

Reaction score
Guess this has been discussed before, couldn't find it ....
Out of the two drones, which one produces more ambient noise?
Talking about the propeller noise up in the air let's say at 25 meters altitude ? My guess is that the pro4 will produce more noise?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

P4, by a very significant margin. At 400ft AGL I can barely even hear the Mavic. The P4 is still annoyingly loud and draws attention from all over at the same height.

P4 or P4P? According to a test on iPhonedo with a sound level meter the P4P was considerably quieter than a P4 (surprised me, but I guess the meter doesn't lie.) But the P4P is still louder than the Mavic as it weighs twice as much.

I find it hard to believe the P4P is quieter than the P4, I see no reason it would be. It's loud because of the airframe design. But yes, the P4P is far louder than the Mavic.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe the P4P is quieter than the P4, I see no reason it wouldn't be.
I guess you mean would be, and I agree. I can't see why there would be any significant difference either and as I said the readings surprised me. I'm not where I can search for the clip now but will find it when I get home.

In any event the if noise level is your primary consideration in a purchase then the Mavic will be quieter than either. But I think most consider image quality first, as in if you need/want the image quality of the P4P then more noise is the cost. But for anyone who doesn't care about the difference and is primarily interested in casual flying then a Mavic is probably a better choice for more reasons than just noise.

Last edited:
Its weird that p4p would be quieter he did use a meter. But they have same props.. could be different logic behind the fc and the way it hovers compared to p4

I have a friend that owns a P2 and he said my P4P is much quieter than his P2. He says it sounds more like his Inspire1. I find it hard to believe that at 400' you would still hear a P4P. I can't hear mine past 100' (at most). Maybe the environment was just louder where I've shot?

Its weird that p4p would be quieter he did use a meter. But they have same props.. could be different logic behind the fc and the way it hovers compared to p4
I also think the motors are different on the P4P vs P4, or at least I've seen that said. Haven't seen any proof though (documented parts number difference, etc.)

No i dont think they are different pretty sure kv is the same just prop mounting hardware is different . Could play a role in that. I also think the software from the flight controller is using a different logic to hover with p4p then compared to p4. To me honestly the p4p sounds the same as my p4. They are both louder then the mavic pro .

The P4 and P4P are just about the same weight and have the same props and pretty much the same air-frame so it stands to reason they should produce pretty much the same sound level. All things being equal the larger/heavier drone should be louder. The Mavic Pro is half the weight of the P4/P4P so unless they used props that were poorly designed the Mavic Pro should be quieter and by a noticeable amount.

Brian

Out of the two drones, which one produces more ambient noise?
Talking about the propeller noise up in the air let's say at 25 meters altitude ? My guess is that the pro4 will produce more noise?
The Mavic has been optimised to get long flight times with light weight and by using lower motor revs.
Slower motor and props = quieter

Reactions: Norval

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers