Noise at ISO 500?

Zzz

Reaction score
Did anyone compare the amount of noise at ISO 100 vs ISO 500 during daytime? I'm really curious about the difference and whether ISO 500 introduces more of it or actually less, like a true native ISO should...

No assumptions please, need to know for a fact before I waste 4 batteries tomorrow at a wrong ISO setting :)

Thanks!

changing the iso from 100 to 500 does change the grain..always try to stick with 100 unless you need to use high shutter speeds to freeze motion

Did anyone compare the amount of noise at ISO 100 vs ISO 500 during daytime? I'm really curious about the difference and whether ISO 500 introduces more of it or actually less, like a true native ISO should...

No assumptions please, need to know for a fact before I waste 4 batteries tomorrow at a wrong ISO setting :)

Thanks!
I shot D-log stills and video yesterday at 2 oclock in the afternoon and it looks to me like their is a tad more grain in solid tones. Like the lake in my pics has a bit of noise. Not super bad but it's there. I guess I'm confused about D-log on stills. What else is it changing in a still file besides the ISO setting? Its a raw file and I thought that was it. So what else is D-log doing to the Raw DNG file? Attached pic from yesterday. No noise reduction used. Their is a little noise in the blue lake and darker solid areas as well. Little noise reduction fixes it though. I have not graded any of the video footage yet. Sorry I can't help on that.

Attachments

• DJI_0479.jpg
    DJI_0479.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 359
This shot was shot a couple of weeks ago at 100 ISO. There is a sliver of grain even in 100 ISO images. So 500 is not much worse imo.

Attachments

• DJI_0379.jpg
    DJI_0379.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 305

Thanks!
Caution on using D-log Zzz. It is underexposed by a good 2 stops man. It comes up decent but if your gonna use it I would def keep my histogram way up to the highlight side. Because a perfectly balanced Histogram is way underexposed!

I guess what confuses me the most is the fact that they force ISO 500 on D-Log even though it's not actually sensors native ISO. Or else, why would it introduce more noise...

I shot D-log stills and video yesterday at 2 oclock in the afternoon and it looks to me like their is a tad more grain in solid tones. Like the lake in my pics has a bit of noise. Not super bad but it's there. I guess I'm confused about D-log on stills. What else is it changing in a still file besides the ISO setting? Its a raw file and I thought that was it. So what else is D-log doing to the Raw DNG file? Attached pic from yesterday. No noise reduction used. Their is a little noise in the blue lake and darker solid areas as well. Little noise reduction fixes it though. I have not graded any of the video footage yet. Sorry I can't help on that.
I know what you mean, if it's RAW it's RAW, unless it is not a true RAW reading of the sensor... no idea what dlog does to it, perhaps just embeds the dlog curve adjustment as a preset? Seems stupid though...

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I guess what confuses me the most is the fact that they force ISO 500 on D-Log even though it's not actually sensors native ISO. Or else, why would it introduce more noise...
Agreed! It also seems stupid to be that underexposed but is shot with a good balanced histogram! I'll try it by making histogram look way overexposed but I don't get it tbo!

changing the iso from 100 to 500 does change the grain..always try to stick with 100 unless you need to use high shutter speeds to freeze motion
It shouldn't if 500 was the true native ISO though... at least that's from my experience with other cameras. Anything but the native ISO should increase noisines... no?

I know what you mean, if it's RAW it's RAW, unless it is not a true RAW reading of the sensor... no idea what dlog does to it, perhaps just embeds the dlog curve adjustment as a preset? Seems stupid though...
Yeah I thought raw was the dullest color yet using all of the sensors capability as far as resolution goes. So they say that D-log is the only way to get the full 13 stops of DR. Thought sure you could get that with just RAW. LOL. But my buddy is telling me that is common for most cameras though. But I thought mostly for video and not stills.

Yeah I thought raw was the dullest color yet using all of the sensors capability as far as resolution goes. So they say that D-log is the only way to get the full 13 stops of DR. Thought sure you could get that with just RAW. LOL. But my buddy is telling me that is common for most cameras though. But I thought mostly for video and not stills.
Yeah, that only makes sense for videos, cos they're recorded compressed and not RAW... I think your buddy is wrong about the RAW stills benefiting from D-Log, but I don't know for sure, just using common sense.

Yeah, that only makes sense for videos, cos they're recorded compressed and not RAW... I think your buddy is wrong about the RAW stills benefiting from D-Log, but I don't know for sure, just using common sense.

You are correct, D-Log and any of the other picture profiles or "looks" have absolutely no effect on RAW photos, only video and jpeg files. To shoot RAW and be able to expose correctly, you have to use the "NONE 0/0/0" look setting to see an accurate representation of the RAW image.

Reactions: Zzz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj