No USB connection after crash

Reaction score
Hi All.
I have a standard P2 H3-2D with no mods.
Having flown it without issue I messed up big time 4 weeks ago when I lost sight of it while flying over an island. After a short attempt at bringing it home using home-lock I became rather worried and turned off my RC hoping the Fail-Safe would bring my bird home, but it never arrived.

First I concluded my P2 was lost in the ocean and gave up. After thinking about it in the cabin later that night I started a Drone Crash investigation that led me to locate the "wreckage" 2 days after the crash. The P2 was in excellent shape considering it had flown at cruise speed into a tree and fallen about 15m to the ground. The battery had been ejected at impact and was about 5m from the P2 itself. Apart from a small crack in the top chassis above the USB port no visible damage could be seen.

Regrettably there had been serious rain during the time my P2 spent in the forest.

So naturally I dried it in rice in my bathroom with heating cables in the floor.

So Here is the problem:
Neither my Mac nor my win Vista OS Pc will now respond in any way when I connect to them via USB. I see people have had various problems after connection, but I can not do anything. Typing in the S/N in the appropriate box does nothing.

The only other problem noticed initially is that I cannot connect to any computer. The RC connects fine, but plugging the P2 via usb does nothing. No response at all
The NAZA unit seems to be working fine. Testing it whith no props confirms that it opposes any movement e.g. when I do manual tilting or rotation.

So far I have opened my P2 up and checked all connections as best I could. I have unplugged and checked for visual damage, but have found nothing wrong.

The only thing appart from not being able to connect via USB is that the compass can no longer be calibrated. Flipping the left switch 6-10 times does nothing.

My conclusion so far is that there is something wrong with the compass unit. What are the chances that I would get all up and running by changing the compass? Can a faulty compass be the reason my usb will not connect?

Hope someone can help.

Hi All.
I have a standard P2 H3-2D with no mods.
Having flown it without issue I messed up big time 4 weeks ago when I lost sight of it while flying over an island. After a short attempt at bringing it home using home-lock I became rather worried and turned off my RC hoping the Fail-Safe would bring my bird home, but it never arrived.

First I concluded my P2 was lost in the ocean and gave up. After thinking about it in the cabin later that night I started a Drone Crash investigation that led me to locate the "wreckage" 2 days after the crash. The P2 was in excellent shape considering it had flown at cruise speed into a tree and fallen about 15m to the ground. The battery had been ejected at impact and was about 5m from the P2 itself. Apart from a small crack in the top chassis above the USB port no visible damage could be seen.

Regrettably there had been serious rain during the time my P2 spent in the forest.

So naturally I dried it in rice in my bathroom with heating cables in the floor.

So Here is the problem:
Neither my Mac nor my win Vista OS Pc will now respond in any way when I connect to them via USB. I see people have had various problems after connection, but I can not do anything. Typing in the S/N in the appropriate box does nothing.

The only other problem noticed initially is that I cannot connect to any computer. The RC connects fine, but plugging the P2 via usb does nothing. No response at all
The NAZA unit seems to be working fine. Testing it whith no props confirms that it opposes any movement e.g. when I do manual tilting or rotation.

So far I have opened my P2 up and checked all connections as best I could. I have unplugged and checked for visual damage, but have found nothing wrong.

The only thing appart from not being able to connect via USB is that the compass can no longer be calibrated. Flipping the left switch 6-10 times does nothing.

My conclusion so far is that there is something wrong with the compass unit. What are the chances that I would get all up and running by changing the compass? Can a faulty compass be the reason my usb will not connect?

Hope someone can help.

Maybe there's some rice residue stuck in the USB port or even a dead tree frog

Thanks for the answer, but I did not submerge my P2 in rice. It was just left standing in a bag with loads of rice in the bottom for some days. There is also one thing that makes me think this is not at USB-plug or cable issue. If I enter the 32 dig S/N in the NAZAM application and plug/ unplug the USB the S/N disappears. So there is some kind of connection going on. But I never get the flashing blue or green light in the bottom right corner of the NAZAM window.

I followed all the wiring inside the phantom, unplugging and replugging all possible connections on the way. Did this for the USB, GPS and antenna at all connections. Some (I dont remember which caused immediate changes e.g. a light going off/ on or an alarm sounding and disappearing once I reconnected the plug).

My amateur guess would be that it has something to do with the antenna unit since it is no longer possible go calibrate the compass. Anyone had similar issues? Should I just order a new antenna unit? Will I be able to remove the old one and reinstall a factory fresh antenna-board? Will it need soldering? I have solderd a ipod battery once, but managed merely by luck as my soldering iron is of the heavy duty high voltage type and I am totally useless at soldering.

Any tips would be of great help.

Thanks for the answer, but I did not submerge my P2 in rice. It was just left standing in a bag with loads of rice in the bottom for some days. There is also one thing that makes me think this is not at USB-plug or cable issue. If I enter the 32 dig S/N in the NAZAM application and plug/ unplug the USB the S/N disappears. So there is some kind of connection going on. But I never get the flashing blue or green light in the bottom right corner of the NAZAM window.

I followed all the wiring inside the phantom, unplugging and replugging all possible connections on the way. Did this for the USB, GPS and antenna at all connections. Some (I dont remember which caused immediate changes e.g. a light going off/ on or an alarm sounding and disappearing once I reconnected the plug).

My amateur guess would be that it has something to do with the antenna unit since it is no longer possible go calibrate the compass. Anyone had similar issues? Should I just order a new antenna unit? Will I be able to remove the old one and reinstall a factory fresh antenna-board? Will it need soldering? I have solderd a ipod battery once, but managed merely by luck as my soldering iron is of the heavy duty high voltage type and I am totally useless at soldering.

Any tips would be of great help.

Something just doesn't sound right about adding a 32 digit S/N NazaM for a Phantom 2. Could you possibly take a photo of the inside of the P2 and post it here. I really think you are using the wrong software. Also which windows OS are you using??

Inside is not altered at all. A pic will help you none. No damage visible. All plugs i their right plugs.

I am using the latest versions of NAZA software from dji.com. Have tried both mac and win vista with drivers but it is no different. Same prob connecting. S/N is definitly oossible to enter, but prob not necesarry for connecting the USB. Just tried it entering since it did not connect hoping it somehow would help, but of course it didn't (as expected).

Fredrik

BTW: I have used NAZA Software without any hassle on my old Phantom 1 before, so I dont think this is simply a matter of complete incompetance on my part. Something is definetly wrong.

Fredrik

Since I can no longer start the compass calibration by flipping the left toggle-switch it is obviously not just a USB connection issue I am having here.
The impact was quite hard, but It was into a tree and the second vertical drop was onto soft moss/ grass. Frankly I think the 48h it spent outside upside down, battery bay open in pouring rain might have caused the most damage.

Inside is not altered at all. A pic will help you none. No damage visible. All plugs i their right plugs.

I am using the latest versions of NAZA software from dji.com. Have tried both mac and win vista with drivers but it is no different. Same prob connecting. S/N is definitly oossible to enter, but prob not necesarry for connecting the USB. Just tried it entering since it did not connect hoping it somehow would help, but of course it didn't (as expected).

Fredrik

If don't what to send a photo of the inside of craft find but keep this in mind Phantom 2 non-vision did no come with a Naza-M V2 Module installed nor did P2 use Naza-M V2 software. You may have first Phantom produced. A photo of the inside can clear up which phantom you have.

Phantom uses this software which is completely different. Just scroll down to the downloads.
Phantom 2 - The Spirit Of Flight

Now were talking! This is likely the answer. I did notice there was no NAZA word written inside my P2. I just assumed my P2 had the NAZA component as I think my P1 had. I hope I can connect with the appropriate software. Crossing my fingers this will let me check the brains of my stricken ACFT. Still worried about my compass though, but maybe it needs some sort of reset since I unplugged all its connections in my search for a solution.

Thanks for a great reply (I hope)

Now were talking! This is likely the answer. I did notice there was no NAZA word written inside my P2. I just assumed my P2 had the NAZA component as I think my P1 had. I hope I can connect with the appropriate software. Crossing my fingers this will let me check the brains of my stricken ACFT. Still worried about my compass though, but maybe it needs some sort of reset since I unplugged all its connections in my search for a solution.

Thanks for a great reply (I hope)

Once you have downloaded the correct software and are able to connect the P2 go into the tools and check the compass settings as in this photo.

The MOD setting should be between 1300 - 1600 and anything below or above you'll need to do an advanced IMU calibration this should be done any how since you crashed the P2. Once come completed calibrate the compass.
Tools Tab (IMU Cal).jpg

It worked. A million thanks for great help. No connection problems with the correct software. The compass could be calibrated fine as well. I finally have the IOC activated (I thought it already was). If it flies well I will start using Course lock to get som better footage. Home lock will finally work. I have used it sometimes but not been too impressed which is no wonder considering it was never activated :)

One more question:

I dont seem to be able to increase the RTH height from the factory set 20m/ 66ft. Even though I type in e.g. 40m it will return to 20m again when I exit that page and return. Is the RTH altitude not adjustable after all? Will an updated firmware help?

It worked. A million thanks for great help. No connection problems with the correct software. The compass could be calibrated fine as well. I finally have the IOC activated (I thought it already was). If it flies well I will start using Course lock to get som better footage. Home lock will finally work. I have used it sometimes but not been too impressed which is no wonder considering it was never activated :)

One more question:

I dont seem to be able to increase the RTH height from the factory set 20m/ 66ft. Even though I type in e.g. 40m it will return to 20m again when I exit that page and return. Is the RTH altitude not adjustable after all? Will an updated firmware help?

Glad to here it's working again but photos do help to sort things out. Guess you noticed that the Naza module has Phantom printed on it. Did you not??

You need to type in the meters you want (which will be in red) then hit enter and you're done. Myself I set mine for 118 feet (36m) which clear most mature forest here in the states or at least where I live.
Limits.png

Personally I do not like the RTH critical low battery because it act the same way as failsafe on the S1 switch (left switch) in the full down position. Make sure you set that up in the Naza to failsafe. I am not a big fan of IOC either but do use ATTI to slowly draft while filming as long as the wind is in the same direction.

Hi again. I did try to change the RTH alt. No problem entering a new value into the box. I pressed enter, but like I tried to explain it didn´t seem to cause a change. That is, when I chose a different window/ tab after having done this and then returned to the "set RTH altitude" screen the value was back to 20m. Do I have to press save or unplug the USB after the change to make it stick to the new value? I never pressed the set to default button after entering the new RTH altitude, so that is not the problem. Can it be due to the fact that I have not updated the firmware? Strange that it lets me enter a new value but then does not really store my new value even though I surely did press enter after entering it.

I never saw any "save changes" button anywhere, so I dont have any idea if such a button exists at all. It is just that this is the way many programs work.

Hi again. I did try to change the RTH alt. No problem entering a new value into the box. I pressed enter, but like I tried to explain it didn´t seem to cause a change. That is, when I chose a different window/ tab after having done this and then returned to the "set RTH altitude" screen the value was back to 20m. Do I have to press save or unplug the USB after the change to make it stick to the new value? I never pressed the set to default button after entering the new RTH altitude, so that is not the problem. Can it be due to the fact that I have not updated the firmware? Strange that it lets me enter a new value but then does not really store my new value even though I surely did press enter after entering it.

Firmware has nothing to do with it not working. Try changing the max height settings and the number you type in should be in red and under the text block press enter will also be in red. In the max height settings the first time you use it an agreement message will pop up check the I agree box and enter. It will not show up a second time if you change the height again.

Of course if you are using a PC with Windows 10 that could be what is causing the problem with trying to change the RTH settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic