no solid yellow lights for compass calibration mode

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After some successful flights, with GPS, I suddenly have a problem.

When I toggle the S1 from position-1 to position-3 and back to position-1 about 10 times the yellow blinking lights don’t turn into a solid yellow light, so I’m not able to force the aircraft to enter into compass calibration mode. I'm able to fly, but not in GPS-mode.

Any suggestions about how to solve this problem? The software is up-to-date.

Thank you very much for your help!

You shouldn't toggle between Pos. 1 and 3 but between 1 and 2. Where 1 is GPS mode and 2 is ATTI mode (and where 3 CAN be set to something else than ATTI mode).

According to the manual you should start in ATTI mode and end in ATTI mode but I'm not sure this is necessary since my FC40 will only be arriving around the middle of next week. :D

Hi Big Ben,

Thank you for your answer.

Are you sure? I follow the steps in the manual (just like before):

'S1 is for compass calibration. Toggle the S1 from position-1 to position-3 and back to position-1 about 6 to 10 times which will force the aircraft to enter into compass calibration mode.'

You are correct to just toggle the switch up and down through all positions. However, I'm not sure why you can't fly in GPS mode? Are you getting a message that says the compass needs calibration, or do you just prefer to calibrate before every flight?

If you can't get into calibration mode then plug the aircraft into the computer and run the Vision Assistant software and have a look at the compass mod value to see if it's within normal range. If it's outside the normal figures then this may help:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLHzzX2ykKw[/youtube]

Colin Guinn, R.I.P. ;) It relates to the V1 Phantom, but the compass in the Vision is very similar (if not the same) so this is still applicable.

Hi Pull_Up,

Thank for your answer.

I'm not getting a message that says the compass needs calibration. I like to prefer to calibrate before every flight to fly with gps. I already plugged the aircraft into the computer before and ran the Vision Assistant software to have a successful calibration (basic and advanced).

The problem is that after toggling the yellow flashing lights don't turn into a yellow solid light.

The calibration in the Vision Assistant is for the IMU, not the compass. If you watch the video you'll see him talk you through looking at the compass values with the Assistant and how you can correct an out of range reading to enable you to do a standard calibration using the S1 switch. Definitely worth a watch again - lots of info in there. :)

Oh you have a P2V. You hadn't mentioned that. I saw this topic from the 'New posts' list. Don't always notice the subforum. Is it set to P2V mode or NAZA-M mode? This could make a difference.

This is what it says in the Phantom Quick Start Manual v1.7 (P1):

1. Quickly switch the control mode switch from ATTI. Mode to GPS ATTI.
Mode and back to ATTI. Mode for 6 to 10 times, The LED indicator will turn
to constantly yellow.
2. Rotate your aircraft around the horizontal axis (about 360o) until the LED
changes to constant green, and then go to the next step.
3. Hold your aircraft vertically and rotate it (its nose is downward) around the
vertical axis (about 360o) until the LED turns off, meaning the calibration is
finished.
4. If the calibration was successful, calibration mode will exit automatically. If the
calibration has failed, the LED keeps flashing quickly Red. Switch the control
mode switch one time to cancel the calibration, and then re-start from step 1.

So from ATTI to GPS and back to ATTI. By default both 2nd and 3rd position are set to ATTI but since one might have set the third position to MANUAL (or FAILSAFE) in my opinion this means you should NOT use the third position (on the P1). Then you would be switching between MANUAL and GPS which is NOT what it says in the manual. Maybe when both 2nd and 3rd position are set to ATTI they both work (1/2 and 1/3) but as soon as the 3rd position is designated another function 1/3 would constitute switching between two different modes than GPS and ATTI and most likely it would not work anymore so I consider 1/2 switching a better habit to learn... on a P1. Nothing to unlearn later on.

For setting CL or HP with the other switch there is an explicit warning to switch between only two adjacent positions. This too makes me think a similar practice should be used on the right switch.

So the question is whether you have set the 2nd and 3rd position to have different functions or not. Check with the Assistant. It might be the P2V manual is written making the assumption that both are the same because the manual is written for the P2V mode.

Is there a good description of what the LEDs show for compass calibration in IOC/atti mode....and how this changes when you are done with the horizontal calib. And ready for vertical?

inventief said:
Hi Pull_Up,

Thank for your answer.

I'm not getting a message that says the compass needs calibration. I like to prefer to calibrate before every flight to fly with gps. I already plugged the aircraft into the computer before and ran the Vision Assistant software to have a successful calibration (basic and advanced).

The problem is that after toggling the yellow flashing lights don't turn into a yellow solid light.
I have had this problem a few times. I find that you can continue to do the switching and eventually it will "take." Also, I have taken out the battery for 30 seconds, and got it back.

PS - compass calibration is about setting the proper declination. Unless the LEDs are telling you to do a calibration, I think it is best to leave it alone unless you have relocated many, many miles. The small risk of a calibration that is "off" is far less than the risk of screwing up a calibration and having a bizarre launch and fly away to the extreme left into a tree (a recent experience of mine).

Hi all,

Thanks again for your replies and help. I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I couldn't solve my problem so far.

I watched the video, Pull_Up showed me. When I plug the aircraft into the computer and run the Vision Assistant software the compass mod value has a value of exactly 0. Colin said that it has to be about 1.600. When I try to change mod value with a magnet it doesn't change/react :(

Please have a look at the attachment: Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Mod_value.gif
    Mod_value.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 502
Do you have a confirmed working connection between the Phantom and the Assistant? When moving the sticks on the transmitter the software shows this?

Also it can never hurt to check the proper seating of the cable connector in the compass sensor module.

Hi all,

I've got some good news for you! I touched every cable of my P2V and to my surprise I suddenly got a message:
'GPS not calibrated, or magnetic field interferance. Please calibrate GPS again in good condition.'

I went outside, toggled the switch up and down through all positions, performed the compass dance and got some nice green lights as a reward :D :D :D

Thanks all for your support!

Since I moved my S1 3rd setting to Fail Safe on the toggle, i have to switch between gps and ATTI (middle position) to get the lights to show in calibration mode. I am also using NAZA mode. Works for me! Tried all top to bottom on toggle and didn't go to calibration since I switched to fail safe. May be coincidence?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic