No Signal Scare

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has had this issue but it really did scare and startle me at first. I was joyfully flying my P3P over a marina near my house (like I've done many times before) when all of a sudden - the screen goes black and I get the No Signal message in red at the top.

This has never happened to me before therefore I was on edge. I could see the Phantom in the distance just hovering but I could not control it. I didn't know what to do. I pressed the RTH button but nothing seemed to happen.

I finally decided to take out the cable out of the RC and restart the RC. Thankfully the signal and feed returned and I flew my phantom to safety.

I hoped that was a rare / will only happen once occurrence but it's happened to me 3 times in total over the last week. It never happened with the previous firmware or app version.

Has this happened recently to anybody else?

See this thread: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/dji-go-latest-firmware-review.51056/

This happened to me on my first flight out with my P3P and the new Android DJI GO app. Hard to tell if its the firmware or app, you are first that I've seen that reports that the transmitter itself could not control the drone after the app went blank. This could be a transmitter firmware issue, strange part is, I haven't seen any Apple users report this problem.

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue but it really did scare and startle me at first. I was joyfully flying my P3P over a marina near my house (like I've done many times before) when all of a sudden - the screen goes black and I get the No Signal message in red at the top.

This has never happened to me before therefore I was on edge. I could see the Phantom in the distance just hovering but I could not control it. I didn't know what to do. I pressed the RTH button but nothing seemed to happen.

I finally decided to take out the cable out of the RC and restart the RC. Thankfully the signal and feed returned and I flew my phantom to safety.

I hoped that was a rare / will only happen once occurrence but it's happened to me 3 times in total over the last week. It never happened with the previous firmware or app version.

Has this happened recently to anybody else?

It's rare but it happens... the important thing to do is not panic (sounds like you didn't which is good). Usually the "no-signal" is only referring to your FPV video feed. When your controller loses connection you'll see that on the LED of both the controller... and on the Phantom itself (assuming you can see it's LED's).

I would suggest that if it happens again you just try restarting the phone or the app and unplug and reconnect the cable before you try turning off your controller and restarting that way. (that should be a last resort).

If it continues to happen - try re-pairing the remote and the Phantom... sometimes that helps clear it up (though I have no idea why it would).

Glad it turned out ok.

It happen to me last night. Flew out was hovering then "disconnected" was shown on the app. This has happened before with the RC still connected and able to control the P3P. What differed this time was that I lost connection moments later between the RC and the P3P. I tried to reestablish the connection between the two. I was not able to. I had no clue what happened to the P3P but I did see it on the map of the app which was still not connecting to the P3P. I went out in search of it. When I got close to the P3P the RC once again linked with the craft displaying the green light. When I was not close to it the light went red. Eventually I found it where it safely landed at a business across a fence. I will not fly again until this issue is resolved either by what I learn or by what DJI does to fix it if this is on their end.

I just had the same issue with the latest app after turning it all on in my living room. The only thing that fixed it was to turn RC off and on again. Rebooting app, turning off and on phantom or reconnecting phone cable did nothing to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a issue that Dji needs to address. I'll e-mail them to let them know the details of this problem.

Happened to me with the Pilot app and iOS devices. Mine led to a crash and DJI has it now.
I was at 32% and The latest firmware. After gathering the logs it looks like after it disconnected it started " landing" and it landed on the top of a tree. RTH point was set to my takeoff location so why it landed is a mystery.

This happened to me for the first time ever a few days ago. Scared me as I've never had it happen before.

Newest firmware, newest IOS, DJI GO, ipad mini 2.

Reactions: iquadtography
It happen to me last night. Flew out was hovering then "disconnected" was shown on the app. This has happened before with the RC still connected and able to control the P3P. What differed this time was that I lost connection moments later between the RC and the P3P. I tried to reestablish the connection between the two. I was not able to. I had no clue what happened to the P3P but I did see it on the map of the app which was still not connecting to the P3P. I went out in search of it. When I got close to the P3P the RC once again linked with the craft displaying the green light. When I was not close to it the light went red. Eventually I found it where it safely landed at a business across a fence. I will not fly again until this issue is resolved either by what I learn or by what DJI does to fix it if this is on their end.

It's important to note - disconnected is different from "no signal" - no signal indicates that the app believes it is still connected to the RC - but that you have lost video signal.

Disconnected indicates that the APP does NOT believe the controller is connected to the tablet/phone.

They are two different error messages...

Just want to mention this because people do throw them around interchangeably and they are different problems.

Reactions: TCW and JohnK
It's important to note - disconnected is different from "no signal" - no signal indicates that the app believes it is still connected to the RC - but that you have lost video signal.

Disconnected indicates that the APP does NOT believe the controller is connected to the tablet/phone.

They are two different error messages...

Just want to mention this because people do throw them around interchangeably and they are different problems.

I actually received both errors on my last flight within a few seconds of each other.

I actually received both errors on my last flight within a few seconds of each other.

yeah - so that tends to happen when you do get the disconnected error.... you lose signal and then disconnect. In that case restarting the app and unplugging and then re-plugging the cord might help. I was getting disconnected pretty regularly and then I re-paired my controller and haven't had them anymore..

I am considering going back to my P2 for the time being or downgrading the app to the DJI Pilot and trying again. I never had this problem with the old app or the P2.

Mine has disconnected 3 times so far (Ipad) last Disconnected 2 days ago at the beach 900' out 50' Att.
All 3 ties I unplug the USB to the controller and plug it back in,
It's not going to stop me from flying

Reactions: JohnK
Possibly a dumb question:
-Doesn't shutting off the RC cause the bird to RTH ? Just wondering !

I had this happen to me yesterday. Luckily, I was in within line of sight. P3A and iPad mini 2nd gen. I restarted the app and it was still a black screen. The bird did however RTH. I had full control with the remote, just was flying without FPV. I upgraded everything today to the latest firmware updates, because I've also been having other issues like a tilted horizon on my camera (even after calibration) and my gimbal making a loud screeching noise at times, as well as video lag immediately after I record video, or at random times, sometimes up to 2-3 seconds of lag.

I got that "No signal" message, too. RTH worked when i pressed the button, so now I realize I must still have had TX-RX connection, and within minutes the copter was humming overhead, thank goodness. Since then I've learned some of the things mentioned here about disconnecting and reconnecting the app, etc., , but have (luckily) not yet needed to try them out. Lots of good info on this and the many other threads here, for which I am very grateful. Thanks to those who keep the flow going!

I had the same with the latest FW and app. On my case i had press on the app for the return home and the bird was on his way home at a very high altitude (500m). This was around 25% battery left... it was around 1km away...all good and then No signal. I assumed was an app crash so i waited...and waited...no signs of the P3...i was waiting to hear the sound...nothing. in the map before loosing connection it didnt show it was very far...maybe 50 to 100 m so i stated to look around. i ws sure the battery was dead and it landed somewhere. I had an idea. decided to press this time on the remote the return home. best idea ever. It came back to me with the battery practiclty dead.
It was recording video and it didnt stop...so i got to see what happened. It came back to a close by location. was 2 houses behind, hovering at maybe 15 m high.

Never thought the return home would freeze on me as the return was stated from the app but happy to know it still did what the remote ordered. Anyway...something to try if you get the same :)

If you're having this issue please try another HS sd card.

Reactions: Jbundy63

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub