NO SIGNAL at 12,000ft-*UPDATE 3* with windsurf antenna

Hi, I am John from Serres,Greece and this is my first post.
Yesterday, I decided to push my P3P to the limit.
The aircraft flew to 10,000ft with solid signal and after 2 "WEAK SIGNAL" warnings and at 12,000ft I got the "NO SIGNAL".
Aircraft auto-switched to RTH and about three minutes later connection re-established.So, it's good to know that these safety features are working as they should.
Everything was stock.Dashware in metric.
Hi John, what tablet are you using? Mine cannot do the screen recording as smooth as yours. Thanks for the great video.

Hi John, what tablet are you using? Mine cannot do the screen recording as smooth as yours. Thanks for the great video.
Hi, this is just the SD card video.I extracted the data-text file from my phone and merged it with my footage using Dashware for windows.If you just want to record your tablet screen,you must have a pretty fast device.I own a Galaxy S7 and it can handle the process easily.

Reactions: hoctro
how are you positioning your antennas?
how are you positioning your antennas?

By following this DJI video

I'm not new in here, I read every single thread on this and DJI forum. But I got it working good by downgrading quad and the RC. It might sound strange but in fact that helped. I flew yesterday 9400' with good signal over the city.No way I could fly that far with new FW. At 9422' RTH forced the quad to come back. About 10 sec. I had aircraft disconnect screen but I didn't panic because I knew my bird is gonna come back. And for final I made almost 19000' round trip ( my best record ) and still had 55% battery charge left. FYI no any modes exept 32 channel hack and wind surfer antenna.

Not bad furthest I have gone is about 11,000 but I wasnt brave enough to keep flying until I lost signal. It was just starting to drop out with me so maybe I could have gone as far.
Awesome machines!!!
I'M a commercial Helicopter Pilot that has never been to that Altitude, why would you want to go that high? I'm also a commercial drone Pilot, I can't think of any reason to fly that high,I guess you want to prove you can.

I'M a commercial Helicopter Pilot that has never been to that Altitude, why would you want to go that high? I'm also a commercial drone Pilot, I can't think of any reason to fly that high,I guess you want to prove you can.
im pretty sure that was 11k feet away in distance, not altitude. the bird is limited to 500m in altitude in the firmware.

I flew my drone to 12,000 feet and cannot understand what happened.

:|

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Today I decided to push my luck again.Different spot, fewer trees and 16,831ft (5100m) max distance.This drone is AMAZING.No signal loss, no nothing. I admit I chickened out and pushed the RTH button at 16,831ft and returned with 34% battery. Next time I will try to be more relaxed:).

Today I decided to push my luck again.Different spot, fewer trees and 16,831ft (5100m) max distance.This drone is AMAZING.No signal loss, no nothing. I admit I chickened out and pushed the RTH button at 16,831ft and returned with 34% battery. Next time I will try to be more relaxed:).

Keep in mind one of the great features when in RTH you can Yaw Turn the A/C in ANY direction as well as tilt the camera, take pic's, raise or lower altitude and more.

are there dangers about discharging the battery below 30% like with the old phantom 1 batteries? If you overdischarged those they would eventually start to warp and get bloated and you could barely fit them in the phantom bay. I always bring my phantom 3 back in and land it usually within a minute of the low battery alarm. Maybe I have been sacrificing too much extra flight time and distance by being overly cautious? However these battery are so expensive I'd like to keep them in peak shape for as long as I can.

Keep in mind one of the great features when in RTH you can Yaw Turn the A/C in ANY direction as well as tilt the camera, take pic's, raise or lower altitude and more.
Didn't know that...The only problem is that RTH is too slow so I use it only to point the aircraft home and then I am getting control.

Didn't know that...The only problem is that RTH is too slow so I use it only to point the aircraft home and then I am getting control.
You should get used to the compass which the DJI Go app has .. its great. not only orientation of the bird, but of how you are 'aiming' toward the bird. I love the compass feature in it.

Reactions: johnny21
are there dangers about discharging the battery below 30% like with the old phantom 1 batteries? If you overdischarged those they would eventually start to warp and get bloated and you could barely fit them in the phantom bay. I always bring my phantom 3 back in and land it usually within a minute of the low battery alarm. Maybe I have been sacrificing too much extra flight time and distance by being overly cautious? However these battery are so expensive I'd like to keep them in peak shape for as long as I can.
The short answer they do not have the problems of the older P1/P2 batteries. Do not discharge your batteries by any artificial method -- let them naturally discharge via the intelligent discharge setting, a default of 10 days, which you can change in the Go app. And store them with ventilation, not stored in a tight case or backpack.

If you're storing them for many months at a time without use, I personally would check to be sure the charge is over 25%, but I haven't seen that documented by DJI.

The short answer they do not have the problems of the older P1/P2 batteries. Do not discharge your batteries by any artificial method -- let them naturally discharge via the intelligent discharge setting, a default of 10 days, which you can change in the Go app. And store them with ventilation, not stored in a tight case or backpack.

If you're storing them for many months at a time without use, I personally would check to be sure the charge is over 25%, but I haven't seen that documented by DJI.

Thanks but I was referring to inflight. Should I still land as soon as the low battery alarm goes off or have I been sacrificing flight time? It seems like people on the board here regularly land with as low as 10% remaining. Back in the old P1 lipo days, you werent supposed to discharge them much below the first caution level otherwise they started warping

You mean the batteries for the previous Phantoms did this warping thing inflight? I did not know this. I thought it was for storage only.

Yes, I have flown as low as 10% on several occasions with no problems. In fact, sometimes I feel bad if I return with 30% or more left and just fly around a bit before landing. You know what they say, a battery can only be charged so many times.

Also, you can set the limits for Low Battery and Critical Low Battery warnings in the app, so there doesn't seem to be a hard setting that DJI is warning us here in respect to battery health. I could be wrong on this point, but I haven't experienced any battery failures.

Chris

3rd and last update.I reached 20,000ft distance (6,060 meters). Landed with 14% battery so enough for me.
Your video is private.

You can keep it in RTH and speed it up by pushing the right stick forward...But maybe you understood this..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1