No Return to Home?

Reaction score
I am sure that I have understood the go to home configurations, it all looks very straightforward. However today I did my first flight and when I pressed go to home, it just landed where ever the copter was. I tried reconfiguring the go app but the result was always the same… Just landing where ever it was.

Here's what I did:

1. In go app in in MC setting, land at Marked home point.

2. Pressed RTH on RC

The quad just starts to descend and lands!!

Was your Phantom within 20m of the home point? If so, that's working as designed. Check out the Phantom manual for more details on how RTH works.

Fly away a bit before hitting the button. If you are within 20m of the Home Point it just lands where it is.

I am sure that I have understood the go to home configurations, it all looks very straightforward. However today I did my first flight and when I pressed go to home, it just landed where ever the copter was. I tried reconfiguring the go app but the result was always the same… Just landing where ever it was.

Here's what I did:

1. In go app in in MC setting, land at Marked home point.

2. Pressed RTH on RC

The quad just starts to descend and lands!!

I have a phantom 4 and tried the return home button on the rc and nothing happened.. However it did work on the app...This is a concern in case the app craps out..Anyone have this issue?

You have to press and hold. Sometimes it will turn off by itself. Just push and hold the button again.

Is there a way to disable the "within 20M" logic? What am I missing? I don't quite understand the logic behind it, if the craft can fly with such precision.

No -- it cannot be disabled.

Is there a way to disable the "within 20M" logic? What am I missing? I don't quite understand the logic behind it, if the craft can fly with such precision.
The reasons are a couple prolly. If let's say some guy, not you here just a newbie, are around trees let's say, and RTH is in a smaller clearing, 50ft trees, 40m RTH altitude, so if your out and actually need it it comes back over trees and lands (duh I know bare with me) but, if your THAT close, if normal RTH happens and your flying below the canopy, even happens when ppl have almost landed, the bird will Shoot, and if surprised, it's SHOOT! Upwards to its RTH altitude. So, your playing with brand new expensive bird, messing with RTH within 20m and it goes up at speed right into branches, now you feel dumb for using RTH when u didn't need it (walk the dang 50') and now have a wrecked bird. That's one scenario why they have this. If your that close to home, don't introduce an algorithm that's a powerful savior when needed.

Of course you may want to test it in open area or something to feed that curiousness to know, then just fly it away at a distance, it will be anyway when it's needed, and you'll see it in action which is what you wanted to begin with.

I hope they implement this. 20 meters can make a huge difference of landing into a lake, tree or the ground. Plus kind of stupid if you think about it because 20 meters away is no longer "home" lol.

I hope they implement this. 20 meters can make a huge difference of landing into a lake, tree or the ground. Plus kind of stupid if you think about it because 20 meters away is no longer "home" lol.
No but if you are only 20 meters away, you have visual contact and would simply guide the drone home yourself. At that close distance I can't imagine the need for initiating RTH.

No but if you are only 20 meters away, you have visual contact and would simply guide the drone home yourself. At that close distance I can't imagine the need for initiating RTH.
I still think it should be adjustable. What if the controller dies or you drop it and break it or anything else happens that triggers RTH. Would suck for it to be so close and land into a tree or water.

I still think it should be adjustable. What if the controller dies or you drop it and break it or anything else happens that triggers RTH. Would suck for it to be so close and land into a tree or water.
Get a lanyard so you don't drop your controller and break it.
Make sure your controller is charged before flying.

I completely agree buddy but you know not everyone is bright and thinks of those things. I rarely ever use RTH even when it's outside of LOS. Luckily I'm pretty good with maps, navigations, and flying via camera.

Let the app crash or your tablet/phone reboot mid-flight. And when it doesn't re-connect, you don't have maps, navigation headings, or camera FPV. That's when RTH comes in handy. I know, because it almost happened to me today. ;)

I have a phantom 4 and tried the return home button on the rc and nothing happened.. However it did work on the app...This is a concern in case the app craps out..Anyone have this issue?
I have a similar question/concern. Just got my P4. Newbie here. When I press RTH, nothing happens, I wait a few seconds, then (panicking), I press again then try holding it down. Eventually it always comes home, but I don't see any response to my pushing the button on the iPad for at least 5 seconds or so, sometimes more. Is this normal? What is the proper sequence (and patience level if necessary) to get it to activate? Thanks in advance.

Well, if it loses signal for 10 seconds, it's automatic, the apps have RTH buttons but remember this has to be directed through the app, then sent to the TXer, then finally to the UAV, then back to your RXer, then to the device and finally to the app, before it signals the result.
The proper way is to hold down the button on the RC for a second or so, until the ring stays lit. A final way if really in trouble, you can switch of the RC for a second, not the device or the app, just the remote, by the time you turn it back on and it connects to the app, it's on it's way.

Well, if it loses signal for 10 seconds, it's automatic, the apps have RTH buttons but remember this has to be directed through the app, then sent to the TXer, then finally to the UAV, then back to your RXer, then to the device and finally to the app, before it signals the result.
The proper way is to hold down the button on the RC for a second or so, until the ring stays lit. A final way if really in trouble, you can switch of the RC for a second, not the device or the app, just the remote, by the time you turn it back on and it connects to the app, it's on it's way.
Great. Thanks. Will play around with it some more today. Appreciate your help.

Reactions: Sim597

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers