No Registration Anytime Soon

Who will be bringing this suit? Serious question, as I'm hoping that everyone isn't relying on the other guy to do it. The bigger corporations, most likely?
In my comments to the docket, I suggested that the AMA and other community-based groups such as the EAA and the AOPA could act as registrars for their members. Should the task force and the FAA conclude that it has to be a government run registration (putting Oklahoma City into a panic mode), AND that all model aircraft over one pound must be registered (because you can't write a definition of a drone - the source of the hysteria to do something - without including many versions of conventional model aircraft), then the AMA would likely want to block the rule. If the decision is to make the manufacturers handle the registration - an additional burden on them - then they may want to form a group to block the rule. If the decision is made to force the retailers to perform the registration then sellers like Amazon, B&H and other high-volume/low margin sellers would have reason to protest.

There is the problem of making an emergency rule (SFAR) to implement this registry in less than two months, bypassing the normal NPRM process. 14 CFR §91.139 - 'Emergency air traffic rules' gives the administrator the authority to make up rules "Whenever the Administrator determines that an emergency condition exists, or will exist, ". I am pretty confident that someone will challenge the validity of the emergency rule on the ground that it was issued in violation of the Administrative Procedure Act's (“APA”) notice and comment provision, 5 U.S.C. § 553(c) because no evidence of an emergency exists.

49 USC §44101(a) does require that all aircraft be registered. The FAA has never followed the statute with model aircraft for decades, so they had plenty of time to promulgate rules through the normal NTSB process. In other words, what emergency?

The FAA wants to be able to find the owner of a drone that is caught flying irresponsibly. They should be able to do this. They could accomplish this just as effectively by requiring all operators to have their contact info printed on the model. This can be an FAA registration number, an AMA, EAA or AOPA member number, or simply their name and phone number.

When the FAA hears the word "aircraft" their brain goes into tunnel vision that only sees Cessnas to 747s. I don't think the administrator conceives that there are an estimated two to three million model aircraft in the US.

Again, I have no objection to making operators of model aircraft responsible for their actions, but anything the government does on this magnitude and in this short a timeframe is bound to only make matters worse and not do anything to solve the "problem".

Reactions: JKDSensei and snerd
The proposed registry is an illogical response to the public hysteria over something that's never happened.
Although there is definitely a degree of public hysteria, (just check the comments section on any news story about a drone) I think the FAA/DOT have a lot to answer for here.
It really does appear that they have orchestrated a campaign to make it look (to the uninformed) like there really is a problem.
They have encouraged pilots to reports and filled their database with spurious and dubious "incidents", most of which weren't incidents at all and many are highly doubtful to have involved drones either.
After cooking up this database that shows an increasing problem, they have been very active feeding it to a mostly unquestioning press that loves any chance they get to post anything with the word drone in the title.

This is what the FAA's been cooking up and serving to as many media outlets as they can for their created emergency:
Nov. 26, 2014
Pilots and controllers have reported roughly 150 incidents this year in which drones flew close to airports or aircraft in the U.S., including a surge in such reports over the past several months, according to data released by the Federal Aviation Administration

Pilot Reports of Close Calls With Drones Soar in 2015
August 12, 2015- Pilot reports of unmanned aircraft have increased dramatically over the past year, from a total of 238 sightings in all of 2014, to more than 650 by August 9 of this year. The FAA wants to send out a clear message that operating drones around airplanes and helicopters is dangerous and illegal.

Most likely a computer database with your name and drone serial number.

I assume that's the case. Just the word "tracking" is a bit misleading.

This is what the FAA's been cooking up and serving to as many media outlets as they can for their created emergency
Don't confuse bureaucratic incompetence with malfeasance.
Last year, the FAA was compelled by an FOIA lawsuit to release the drone sightings from the FAA's National Program Tracking and Reporting System (NPTRS). The judgement says in part that the FAA will release this information once a year which happens to occur in September.

The FAA is not "cooking up" anything, but they are releasing the unfiltered, unverified, un-vetted raw data in the database. The data as released is an extremely poor basis for creating an emergency rule.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Well, the first sentence doesn't make sense - "tracking system for the registering of hobby drones". What is that supposed to be? Can you elaborate?
Seems more like a troll, at least until explained better.

I work as a govt contractor and occasionally speak with other companies/projects/programs. I heard that a former colleague had moved on and needed to reach out for some questions on a project we had both worked on. The usual chit-chat included what he was doing now and the information I posted above is what I learned. I hadn't heard anything formal about award of this contract and suspect it is an additional task order on some existing contract vehicle. He didn't offer much more than I've already said and I didn't ask. I will see if I can find more as the end of December deadline approaches.

I'm able to confirm, as expected, that the FAA issued the contract I described in my first post. At least one senior software architect has been added to the project and there is a requirement for a December 21 delivery date. I'm not sure if that is a demo of an initial design to the FAA client or delivery for some level of deployment. Nothing was said about any infrastructure for this being in place. The comment was still "We don't know what the f*** we're doing." I suspect that the requirements from the client are vague. No preliminary design has yet been crafted. Makes me wonder what the dollar value and scope of this contract is? Your tax money at work, folks! :confused: I''ll post more as I learn it.

Reactions: JKDSensei
............... . Makes me wonder what the dollar value and scope of this contract is? Your tax money at work, folks! :confused: .................
Dude............. do NOT mention wasted tax dollars here! It really upsets certain members!!

Reactions: 750r
I'm able to confirm, as expected, that the FAA issued the contract I described in my first post. At least one senior software architect has been added to the project and there is a requirement for a December 21 delivery date. I'm not sure if that is a demo of an initial design to the FAA client or delivery for some level of deployment. Nothing was said about any infrastructure for this being in place. The comment was still "We don't know what the f*** we're doing." I suspect that the requirements from the client are vague. No preliminary design has yet been crafted. Makes me wonder what the dollar value and scope of this contract is? Your tax money at work, folks! :confused: I''ll post more as I learn it.

You've just described just about every government job.
Yet making an online form and database with some degree of security is something any common webdev company should have finished within two days.

I saw where the company that created the healthcare site that didn't work dropped them a bill for $320K. Nice work if you can get it!!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Dude............. do NOT mention wasted tax dollars here! It really upsets certain members!!
I have that sticker on my back :p
They F%€£ off so much money see see let's not go there :D

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl