Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

No need to cache maps with Ipad cellular.

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by TonG, May 12, 2015.

1. TonG

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday. I was away from home for to take some pictures with the P3P.
    I use a Ipad mini2 Ret cellular, but I don't have a internet connection.
    But to my joy when I opened the pilot app. the map and the place where I was, were projected!

Today I tried this on some other locations with the same result. So you don't need a internet connection or to cache maps if you have a cellular Ipad.

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

How exactly will the map images be downloaded then?

3. bbfpv

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Your cellular connection is active.

4. leekiya

It doesn't need a sim card, the cellular version of the ipad has a GPS beacon in it that still works with out a sim card in it. If you zoom in tho on the maps out in the field it does get a little blurry but does work like you say. So at home with wifi on zoom in a bit and spend a bit of time dragging the map around, and every time you go out to the places you have zoomed in on you will be able to zoom in as well and it will be crystal clear. I have done my whole country now and it works fantastic, even when turning of the ipad and restarting it the maps are still crystal clear when you zoom in out in the field. Im very pleased with mine.

brianb87 likes this.
  5. bbfpv

Yeah but he's implying he didn't have to cache the maps and they just magically appeared w/o a data plan, which is impossible.

6. TonG

I don't know but lets say the images are available and translated by the app.
    When I tried today the other locations I did not have the transmitter and quad with me. Only the Ipad.

7. leekiya

You dont need to cache the maps, you just need the celluar version with the GPS beacon that the app works off. I have no sim card in mine and all the maps are there when you go out in the field.

8. TonG

I did't cache the maps by means of the pilot app. But I have seen some parts of my surroundings via the maps.
    I don't have a simcard either.

So I don't know of this works if I go out of the boundaries but from now I will do as LEEKIYA have done.

9. bbfpv

Oh, probably because Apple doesn't use Google Maps, thus the maps are stored locally on the device and no caching is required. That's the only possible explanation.

10. leekiya

Just trying to find a post that someone put on a few weeks ago the subject but cant find it, it was off " ipad pilot news" about how the ipads GPS beacon works with out any sim plan for the pilot app. If i find it on the net i will post it as im useless at trying to explain things.

11. bbfpv

Of course the GPS will work, it's not having to cache the maps that I was commenting on. But I think I solved it in my previous post.

12. loganboyd

I'm guessing you're not referring to Satellite images on map but just the basic view with roads and labels.
    Why not tether your tablet to your phone? I have an iPad Air 2 WiFi only and I just connect it to my iPhone 6. YouTube Live Streaming works as well as Satellite imagery.
    One of the benefits of having the tablet/phone device attached to the transmitter via the USB cable is that you free up the ability to connect to a WiFi hotspot and not need a cellular enabled tablet.

13. leekiya

The satellite images work as well crystal clear.

14. loganboyd

Well, your tablet has them cached then from being connected to the internet at some point. The maps app does not include sat images for the entire planet ;)

15. leekiya

When zooming in if you want them to be really clear you do need to drag the map about yes.

16. CONTROL FREQ

i bought the ipad air 2 with cellular because i've read threads like this one. i still can't seem to get the maps on location without a data plan.

can someone tell me what i might be doing wrong?

thanks.

17. Oso

Oso

#17 Oso, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  18. CONTROL FREQ

hmm... it seems that i've been taken for a ride on incorrect information because i've read from different sources that a cellular ipad with no data service is all i needed for the maps.

thank you for this info.

one last question... how exactly do i cache the maps? while in wfi do i have to hook my ipad to the controller or can i just open up google maps and thumb thru the areas i want to fly without hooking it up to my controller?

thanks.

19. Oso

Oso

Bummer that they misled you. The GPS chip in a cellular iPad doesn't access the internet to download maps. It communicates with satellites for positioning information.

While on wifi, open the GO app and go to the map in the GO app. Then just scroll around the area in which you will be flying. Zoom to the most detail you can and scroll around. Also get some of the area around where you plan to fly just in case you go out of your planned radius. The maps remain cached for a few weeks. Maybe 30 days or so. Not totally sure on the exact number of days, but a few weeks for sure.

JoBe and CONTROL FREQ like this.
  20. CONTROL FREQ

thank you for this!

Oso likes this.