No more using DJI batteries for me

Luap said:
That would be great if you'd post diagrams. :p
Any particular way you discharged the LiPos before taking them off?
Its my biggest concern in this mod - shorting them - so you just pulled them off? No unsoldering?

Ghostrunner007 said:
The batteries are tywrapped to the skids as high as possible , until I find a better way to fasten then to the phantom
This might give you ideas -
tandem_1024x1024.JPG

http://motorcitydroneco.com/products/in ... ion-vision

Great thread!!!! :mrgreen:

Great find now I have to find where to get them or get them made

locoworks said:
brorex said:
How much flight time are you getting with 8800 mah? I've been thinking of doing this same thing.

it won't be as good as you hope cos of the extra weight and it will make the bird respond differently too. the motors will be working a lot harder too.

The weight of the 2 batteries is the same as the original battery , at the moment it's been raining here so I have only done hold done tests to ensure the bird doesn't shutdown during flight and so far so good

Ghostrunner007 said:
Luap said:
That would be great if you'd post diagrams. :p
Any particular way you discharged the LiPos before taking them off?
Its my biggest concern in this mod - shorting them - so you just pulled them off? No unsoldering?

Ghostrunner007 said:
The batteries are tywrapped to the skids as high as possible , until I find a better way to fasten then to the phantom
This might give you ideas -
tandem_1024x1024.JPG

http://motorcitydroneco.com/products/in ... ion-vision

Great thread!!!! :mrgreen:

Great find now I have to find where to get them or get them made

Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-Car ... 233de8c266

Ghostrunner007 said:
locoworks said:
brorex said:
How much flight time are you getting with 8800 mah? I've been thinking of doing this same thing.

it won't be as good as you hope cos of the extra weight and it will make the bird respond differently too. the motors will be working a lot harder too.

The weight of the 2 batteries is the same as the original battery , at the moment it's been raining here so I have only done hold done tests to ensure the bird doesn't shutdown during flight and so far so good

That is fantastic news!

Looking forward to more feedback!

Ghostrunner007 said:
brorex said:
I am getting about 33 min

Wow! The one thing everyone is after, longer flight times! :mrgreen:

Well done man!

N017RW said:
How does the battery "look" when hooked up to the "Assistant" software:

>Won't it stop working when (if?) it detects 300 cycles?

>What about voltage and percentage data?

>Low battery trip, etc?

Thanks !
The batteries look like just the original dji battery as the copter has no idea that the lipos are not dji batteries, as you use the smart board of the dji battery

Ghostrunner007 said:
brorex said:

Wow I will be doing this. That is great!! I have lipos waiting around from the old RC trucks that no longer get any love since the flying addiction. I have a battery that has a broken button still works just have to out a pencil or something in there to turn it on. Could that button be bypassed?

brorex said:
Ghostrunner007 said:
brorex said:

Wow I will be doing this. That is great!! I have lipos waiting around from the old RC trucks that no longer get any love since the flying addiction. I have a battery that has a broken button still works just have to out a pencil or something in there to turn it on. Could that button be bypassed?

i doubt it as its a momentary button and as is held it seems to reset the data, you could solder another button and mount on the cap

Ghostrunner007 said:
After having numerous low battery alarms going off on a pack that is fully charged I decided to rip it apart and see if I could connect a regular lipo to it and still get the phantom to think it's a DJI battery.I am happy to report that i was successful. I now run 2 4400 mah batteries on my phantom plus with no problems :D

You did some further testing as i can see, what about the " numerous low battery alarms " ? Did you get any after just replacing the lipo's ?
What is the assistant saying on the new lipo's ?
Did it reset ?

Here are step by step instructions:

1. By during this mod you assume all risk of Any damage to the phantom 2 and to any damage done to anything the phantom hits if it crashes .DO THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK
2. Discharge the battery fully by running the motors till the stop, at this point turn the battery off and then on and run the motors again . Keep repeating this till the battery refuses to turn on again
3. Google "freeing the phantom 2/ vision from 0roprietary smart battery's" on this thread it will show you in great detail how to take the battery apart. This is the thread I used to take mine apart.
4. Once you have the battery taken apart simple grasp a cell and pull it straight back, the terminals will simply pull out of the battery, I had to rock a couple of cells back and forth but the terminals freed them selfs .
5. Once all the cells are removed cut off the terminals from the board as they are no longer needed
6. Solder a black wire and red wire to your male deans connector ( or what ever type of connector your batteries have). You can get the wire and connectors at any hobby shop.
7 . Solder the red wire to the "power +" on the lower PCB board
8. Solder the black wire to the "bat -" on the lower board with the other black wire. You can also just de solder the original black wire from the boards and just solder the new black wire to the upper board
9. Now locate the small ribbon cable that goes from the upper board to the lower board. It will be black in color.http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attac ... G_5237.jpg
10. Looking at the connector from left to right ( black side on left red side on right) the first to wires are the communication wires that tell the phantom that the battery is a dji battery and also supplies the voltage readings for the cells , so don't touch these. The next four wires are the cell wires you need to cut them right at the connector on the lower board( the one with the power connector on it )
11. Follow these wires to the connector on the lower board and cut them right at the connector leaving the first two wires connected to this plug
12. Take a cell balancer lead extension and cut off the female plug
13. What I did was just splice the black DJI wires that went to the lower connector onto the the balance leads in the following order
Red wire of the balance lead goes to the A3P wire or the one closest to the red dot on the upper board
The next wire of the balance lead goes to the A2P wire
The next wire of the balance lead goes to the A1P wire
The last wire of the balance lead goes to the A1N wire
You can see the above names for the wires on the PCB and all I did was meter them out and label them with a piece of tape
14. Once the splices are done insulate each of the with heat shrink or tape
15. Make a hole in the case as far forward as possible and feed the connectors thought it
16. Notch the cap for the wires and the reassembly the case and wires, you don't have to cut the case to bake it shorter but I did just to make it smaller

Here is pic of the balance lead wiring , all you need to do is use a meter and see what wire goes to the board and label them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 437
ToThePoint said:
Ghostrunner007 said:
After having numerous low battery alarms going off on a pack that is fully charged I decided to rip it apart and see if I could connect a regular lipo to it and still get the phantom to think it's a DJI battery.I am happy to report that i was successful. I now run 2 4400 mah batteries on my phantom plus with no problems :D

You did some further testing as i can see, what about the " numerous low battery alarms " ? Did you get any after just replacing the lipo's ?
Did it reset ?
I don't get any more alarms and the assistant sees a DJI battery like before

Ok good to know, tnx for the info.
Did the " discharged times " reset ?
As i can understand the " balance lead wiring " goes to one of the 2 battery's ?

ToThePoint said:
Ghostrunner007 said:

Did it reset ?

Have you looked to put the batt. comm. signals on a discrite connector as well to eliminate possible issues with the pin/pad interface?

ToThePoint said:
Ok good to know, tnx for the info.
Did the " discharged times " reset ?
As i can understand the " balance lead wiring " goes to one of the 2 battery's ?
Nope the discharge times stays the and yes the lead goes to one battery

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1