No More Ground Station For Me!!!

Reaction score
I updated my P2V and set out today to fool around with it and the new-to-me Ground Station part of the Vision App. I was in a large empty parking lot bordered by a bunch of soccer fields; couldn't think of a better place to fly it! I turned on everything and did a compass calibration first. Then I plotted a couple of waypoints on the app to send the P2V out on a simple rectangular flight around the parking lot, about 120 feet out to waypoint 1, then across the width of the parking lot to waypoint 2, 120 feet back to waypoint 3, then back to me.

I set up my waypoints, hit done, confirmed the altitudes were where I wanted them (100ft), and hit go. The P2V was on the roof of my car; the motors kicked, it lifted off and climbed. Then it flew out to waypoint 1, seemed to pause and turn, then flew out to waypoint 2. That's when stuff got a little messed up. The P2V began the 120 ft portion from waypoint 2 to 3 when it just started flying off in another direction!!! It got about 300 ft from me when switched the Vision app over to FPV and took over control and reoriented the P2V and managed to fly it back towards me. Flying it back, I felt like I was fighting it until I got it on the ground.

I shut it down and decided to do to another flight going no higher then 50 feet. (I choose this altitude because the soccer fields are surrounded by 50ft high nets.) I didn't use the Ground Station part of the Vision app for this and I flew for about another 30 minutes (2 batteries) without a single issue.

So what gives? Was this a "fly away" or just almost one? Is the Ground Station part of the Vision app trustworthy? What caused the little episode I experienced?

Hi. I think it is never a good practice to take off from the roof of a car. I have used ground station many times without an issue except that I never hit the go button before take off. I take off and while it is hovering then hit the go button. Give it another try but not from the roof of your car. ;)

i get the compass error if i sit my phantom on my truck roof

GLOCKer said:
I updated my P2V and set out today to fool around with it and the new-to-me Ground Station part of the Vision App. I was in a large empty parking lot bordered by a bunch of soccer fields; couldn't think of a better place to fly it! I turned on everything and did a compass calibration first. Then I plotted a couple of waypoints on the app to send the P2V out on a simple rectangular flight around the parking lot, about 120 feet out to waypoint 1, then across the width of the parking lot to waypoint 2, 120 feet back to waypoint 3, then back to me.

I set up my waypoints, hit done, confirmed the altitudes were where I wanted them (100ft), and hit go. The P2V was on the roof of my car; the motors kicked, it lifted off and climbed. Then it flew out to waypoint 1, seemed to pause and turn, then flew out to waypoint 2. That's when stuff got a little messed up. The P2V began the 120 ft portion from waypoint 2 to 3 when it just started flying off in another direction!!! It got about 300 ft from me when switched the Vision app over to FPV and took over control and reoriented the P2V and managed to fly it back towards me. Flying it back, I felt like I was fighting it until I got it on the ground.

I shut it down and decided to do to another flight going no higher then 50 feet. (I choose this altitude because the soccer fields are surrounded by 50ft high nets.) I didn't use the Ground Station part of the Vision app for this and I flew for about another 30 minutes (2 batteries) without a single issue.

So what gives? Was this a "fly away" or just almost one? Is the Ground Station part of the Vision app trustworthy? What caused the little episode I experienced?

Without a doubt your issue was classic user error. You should NEVER take off from any metal object. The fact that you didn't get a calibrate compass error right away is amazing.

Bit off subject but worth mentioning. A "I Gotcha" kind of thing.

I use Naza exclusively. If you don't you should check it out. Anyway I flew a normal GPS fight, both switches up, flew around , brought it home and landed. I have the V3 with the upgraded transmitter. So when I landed I brought the left joystick down and lock which is motor shutoff. I decided to do a Ground Station flight. Brought up my map, put in 3 waypoints, set altitude, hit Done, hit Go. Off it went and flew all 3 waypoints, came home and hovered. In the Ground Station mode the P2+ V3 disregards the transmitter completely except for camera tilt. So it was hovering over the Home Point so I was going to take control by toggling S1 and land it. Just when I was reaching for the S1 switch I noticed my left joystick was still in the down lock motor off position. I popped it out, it went to center then I toggled S1 and landed. Sooo. If I had toggled the S1 and not noticed my left joystick position, as soon as the Phantom communicated with the transmitter the motors would have stopped!!! Now if I had enough altitude and survived the "oh ****" moment I could have moved both sticks down and in and restarted but who knows if I would have enough time and presence of mind to get that done. Then I got thinking if the Phantom was smart enough not to let that happen. Did the left joystick down lock only work if it was on the ground? So I hovered it about 6.5', got under it, put my hand under the landing gear and pulled it back to down lock...The motors stopped and I caught it. Anyway watched that left joystick in automated flight, it could crash you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair