No live video

ToThePoint said:
Hello all

So after the test this morning i knew some use the nexus 7 ( seen on youtube ).
Its just for this one application i'm not quiet keen on spending a lot of money to get the FPV experiance.
So after some snooping around in pricing i decided to buy a me173x from asus.
Main thing is thats a 1,2ghz quad prosessor.
Hooked it up to install the V1.039. That worked fine, just in the highest video setting the range wasn't that good, for my little experience with FPV the video hasn't have to be high quality but has to be fluent.
So it already made my day.
I couldn't resist on updating to V1.04.
After all i could return to the previous version even it would be a pain in the ...
After updating the app true the play store, tested and yes that works also !
Even the highest settings on the video download are better, but not that good enough to have a flawless video link.

Still i have to wait for the first FPV flight. there is a storm outside now.

I had the idea that it would be interesting to make a list of apparatus that work to get live video ? Because i had a hard time finding some specs and the purchase of the ME173x was actually a shot in the dark. Lucky it turned out well, but for the same money it wouldn't.

Greetings
JP
If it works could you post your results here? viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17267

As an experiment, I put the V+ down on the lawn in the garden switched everything on - V+,controller,extender and Samsung S3
with 1.0.39 app. Waited for satellite count to settle on 7-8 checked camera feed on app was ok and did nothing more. Never
touched a single control for about 15min. Controller beeped because lack of action then I checked the app. Same no sat count
camera moved up and down but no video feed.Something had frozen or overheated. Switched everything off. Moved nothing.
Let phantom cool down for 20min.Switched back on same proceedure and video feed had returned.In all that time I had'nt started the motors the phantom had just sat there. I have since repeated the same proceedure using an Ipad1 with app 1.0.37
and exactly the same thing happened. The phantom just sat there talking to the sats and getting hot.I am trying to trap this
problem that everyone seems to get regardless of app no. or video receiver.
Does all this make sense or is it just total crap. Anyone else any ideas.
Cheers
Ray

madeinengland said:
As an experiment, I put the V+ down on the lawn in the garden switched everything on - V+,controller,extender and Samsung S3
with 1.0.39 app. Waited for satellite count to settle on 7-8 checked camera feed on app was ok and did nothing more. Never
touched a single control for about 15min. Controller beeped because lack of action then I checked the app. Same no sat count
camera moved up and down but no video feed.Something had frozen or overheated. Switched everything off. Moved nothing.
Let phantom cool down for 20min.Switched back on same proceedure and video feed had returned.In all that time I had'nt started the motors the phantom had just sat there. I have since repeated the same proceedure using an Ipad1 with app 1.0.37
and exactly the same thing happened. The phantom just sat there talking to the sats and getting hot.I am trying to trap this
problem that everyone seems to get regardless of app no. or video receiver.
Does all this make sense or is it just total crap. Anyone else any ideas.
Cheers
Ray

Maybe and maybe not.
Your forcing the V+ into overheat and thats obvious the case.
Bear in mind that cooling is provided by the propellers, thats why there are vent holes on the rotor arms.
At least turn on the propellers in startup mode to do the test so the inside has some kind of draft to cool it.
Some semi conductors produce a lot off heat and have to be cooled or they destroy themselves.

JP

I'm still looking for something that makes sense. I first started dropping video maybe two weeks after 'upgrading' to 1.037 (mid may). Infrequently at first....then more frequently....then almost always. Sounds like heat - its June in South Carolina - but last week, flew it twice blind, then changed batteries flew it twice more. On the last of four flights, the camera started working again.
Everything works fine - camera, video, telemetry, radar...just no FPV video feed. It sounds like everyone else on the threads I've been watching is finding a way to make it work (new hardware, lower video feeds, reinstalled apps). I've tried all of that and still get a black screen 19 times out of 20.
I'm going to refrigerate mine tonight and see if the FPV works after that. I'm out of ideas.

I really don't believe that worked.
90 min. in the fridge...fired it up and got video feed right away.

This happened to me when I first got the phantom (abt 2mounths ago).

I downloaded the DJI App (current version is .40) for my IPhone and for my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from the app store.

IPhone worked fine.
I tried the Note 2 but the feed wouldn't come up no matter what I did.
I removed all the previous listed wifis on the Note 2 and still got no feed (Remember to uncheck the ability to switch wifi if crap connection).

I then noticed that my iPhone was holding the PHANTOM_XXXXXX connection. Turned it off the iPhone and I got feed on my Note 2.

And then I got feed dropping in and out. Phantom was only meters away.
I re-read the instructions and saw the QR barcode which took me directly to the DJI download site to get the APK.
Worked fine from then on.

So just check your other devices and make its not auto connecting to the range extender.

The solution is to WPA2 password lock but I'm scared as my FPV booster may not work. I'll do some more reading..
I still think FPV dropping out is to do with other devices connecting to it automatically.

mrfun said:

Interesting. I was thinking it may be due to a chip over heating since mine always works the first time out but stops after a few minutes and I can't get it back till the next day (after it cooled off?).

Why did you decide to put it in the fridge?

I can't believe we spent $1500 each on these but get zero support or feed back from DJI. I though we were getting a hi-quality product with great support. This sucks. I think DJI should re-think what their silence will be costing them in the next purchase. For $1500 I expect FPV. The Phantom 2 vision plus is no different then the $700 Phantom 2. I think I will switch to the new bebop drone when it comes out. :(

I think the guy that said it was a over heading problem is right. I'm not sure how they can fix it on our units with out a replacement.

mrfun said:

They should include a fridge with every Phantom 2 Vision +. That might increase the shipping costs.

But seriously this is a big pain in the ***. And with zero response from DJI we are left wondering if we will ever get FPV on our units. They need to do a recall.

I too have had issues with video feed. I've had 40+ flights now. I've only had black screen a couple of times with the app crashing soon afterwards and having to restart the phone. It does work 95% of the time now since downgrading to the 1.0.38 version with the occasional breakup or short freeze though I assume it is from overhead trees. I also find if I turn in the direction of the phantom as soon as it breaks up I get it back, if I don't it takes some time to regain video feed.

While I have been certain it has been the app as the root of the problem I'm curious about the heat issue. I mostly fly early morning late evening and with it being winter here in OZ it has been quite cool.
I'll test this theory in the coming days.

Fyi. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and an Asus T300 tab..

I've been on the road, but I'm going to try the fridge again tonight to make sure the first time wasn't just a coincidence. I'll keep you posted.

OK - took a laser temp gun and did four identical startups at lowest resolution preview at 4 different temperature ranges. Hottest part of my vision was the top of the camera housing, so thats where I took temps.
(Y= fpv camera feed working....N=black screen):
start temp = 59
end temp = 67
YYNY
start temp = 65
end temp = 69
YYYN
start temp = 70
end temp = 78
YYNY
start temp = 75
end temp = 83
NYNY
I thought I had a pattern until the last try at the 65-69 range. All of the tests that had an image on try#4, I left the phantom running until I had an 8 degree differential (about ten minutes). None of those lost the video.
I'm sure that these results are better than I'll get outside at 90 degrees (one working out of twenty was my last outdoor count), but it doesn't look like temperature alone is the issue here.

Well you can add me to the list, after 22 flights totaling about 7hrs of flying, my live video feed went, now it's just a black screen.

Same as most others out there, i have everything and can do everything but live video is dead

I am on a Samsung S3 using 1.0.40 as 1.0.39 just crashes, and 1.0.38 gives me no tilt control on the gimbal.
Tested it on a Samsung S4 and the same issue.

Freaking totally annoying, and not right for a piece of hardware that costs $1500.

Fingers crossed for a solution somewhere along the line.

D

Outside temp 88 degree, Humidity 74%, Dew Point 72 degree. 20mins Flight, Firmware v3.0 = NO ISSUES

No doubt it is a heat related problem that comes from the v3.04 firmware. You should try getting your copter back to the v3.0 firmware if you have lost your patients waiting on dji to fix the issue. I have flown with all firmware versions for both the Vision and vPlus, and v3.0 is the most stable and best flying of all versions.

Btw, I knew about this problem before receiving my vPlus a few weeks ago. I knew ahead of time not to load the v3.04 firmware. So I have had no reason to need to go back from v3.04 to v3.0. I had no problem doing it with my Vision.

Also in my countless number of hours researching this problem, if you're not able to get back to v3.0, you will have to find out where the copter is getting the temp reading from and trick it so that it stays below whatever the temp amount id that causes the issue. I thought it might be using the battery temp as it's reference point, but I never got that far to test. I did notice that the problem didn't seem to show up as long as I was flying with outside temps below 74-75 degrees.

flyNfrank - are you using the latest app with the v3.0 firmware...or the 1.032 ?

btw, I'd love to live somewhere that the humidity is lower than the outside temperature....only happens around here when the temps get over 100.

drmgcm69 said:
Well you can add me to the list, after 22 flights totaling about 7hrs of flying, my live video feed went, now it's just a black screen.

Same as most others out there, i have everything and can do everything but live video is dead

I am on a Samsung S3 using 1.0.40 as 1.0.39 just crashes, and 1.0.38 gives me no tilt control on the gimbal.
Tested it on a Samsung S4 and the same issue.

Freaking totally annoying, and not right for a piece of hardware that costs $1500.

Fingers crossed for a solution somewhere along the line.

D

I'm really sorry to hear that. You've got me nervous. My P2V+ is two weeks old and doing great so far.

Do you still have radar when the FPV goes out?

I'm running the newest DJI Vision App 1.0.40 on an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.3.

My Phantom and transmitter are all updated to the latest firmware.

I'm using the WiFi booster app and either keep the FPV set to 640x480 15 FPS or 320x240 15 FPS.

I hope they figure out the problem for you.

I'm really sorry to hear that. You've got me nervous. My P2V+ is two weeks old and doing great so far.

Do you still have radar when the FPV goes out?

I'm running the newest DJI Vision App 1.0.40 on an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.3.

My Phantom and transmitter are all updated to the latest firmware.

I'm using the WiFi booster app and either keep the FPV set to 640x480 15 FPS or 320x240 15 FPS.

I hope they figure out the problem for you.[/quote]

Yes i still have radar, i have everything and can do everything, just no dam live video feed, arggggg

So it's a case of position the P2V+ where you think your shot is going to be, take the shot, then review it
over the wifi link in the album, if it's not quite right re-adjust the P2V+ position and repeat the shot.

I was out practicing this method today, and it was workable, take takes a bit longer to get your shot
composed the way you want it.

It won't stop me for taking photos or video, it just makes it harder to get the shots you want first time around.

Such as life as they say, till it can be sorted out.

D

Is it possible to go back to version 3.0 if you never loaded it.

+ 1 with the no live video issue.

I have had the P2V+ for about one week, but have not been able to get the FPV video to work for more than one minute.
I am now at the 3.04 software version for the main controller and have tried 1.40, 1.39 and 1.38 (this one wasn't able to control the camera tilt) for the DJI Anroid App.
I have tested it on both one Samsung S4, HTC One and version 1.37 on an iPad Mini Retina. None of them have worked, the best has been video for a minute or so.
Normal behaviour is that I get a picture after I start the app and hit "Camera" and it freezes. Sometimes I have live video for maximum one minute and it freezes. When I try to switch resolution/frame rate it just goes black.
I have tested different resolutions/frame rates and all test within maximum 200 meters with no obstacles.

Has anybody had this issue and fixed it by downgrading to software version combinations that work?

Would appreciate any tip here or I might just have to send it back..

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum, but have Wifi and R/C background as well as an I.T. Director and a former Amateur Radio operator. Reading this thread has been VERY informative. I'm glad it's not just me with my Iphone 4.....
I don't believe the issue is temp related. Here;s why.... Many eport by going to an earlier version of sfotware has resolved their issue but they had to re-install it a few times... This would not change the temperature of a semiconductor...... Aslo depending on how you are flying, the winds, more aggressive flight will bring up the temps on some of the circuits....

So why is the video feed starting, then slowing down, or the app completely dropping but only after an amount of time? I feel they are trying to push too much data to the phone/table in order for it to be able and process all the data.... Some users with IPhone 5S are seeing actual success with FPV and the feed speed and not crashing... I am assuming this is due to a faster processor and more robust video graphics to also help process the information faster.

I feel what's happening is there is more information trying to be processed, this is streamed video that goes into a buffer, as the slowness or processing the feed happens the video lags, the buffer in the app fills and depending on how much memory your device has it shuts down when full.

Their app needs to cut down the video quality on the feed a little, not such as much dpi... 100 dpi would be more than suiteable and use much less bandwidth.....

Re writing the app to have control over this by the device would be nice as well. Then depending on the device you have you could tweak this.... Hopefully the camera bios can support this. :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj