No lens cap.... Really? Hey 3D printer guys!!

Someone gave me the measurement of 31.52 as the outer diameter so we did 31.90 and it was still too tight so you may want to expand it a bit. I sanded the inner diameter of the first mold to make it fit without fearing I was going to break the camera gimbal. Good luck and please give me a link to the flexible material is definitely be interested in a softer alternative.

Thanks Steezy...the material I am referring to is ninja flex and can be found here http://www.ninjaflex3d.com
I use the ninja semiflex for cellphone covers and it works great just print like ABS with a bed temp of 65c and a extruded temp of 240c that is what has been working for me after some trial and error...

Reactions: RyanK
31.52mm at the beginning edge.

If you make a few samples with some variances, I'll be happy to test them. Just mark which is which.

That's not a bad idea. When you say 'the beginning edge' what do you mean? I need to know the thickness of the cylinder, to print something that fits around it well enough to stay on there.

Also; someone else mentioned ninjaflex. I already have some on hand.

The type of cover I'm interested in is one that fits over the lens and camera and connects to one of the legs of the P3. I have one of these for my P2 and it's soooooo very nice!

Reactions: MonsieurAnon
The type of cover I'm interested in is one that fits over the lens and camera and connects to one of the legs of the P3. I have one of these for my P2 and it's soooooo very nice!
I will check on thingiverse and see if they have something I can print and modify myself

Lens cap came out great with the ninja semiFlex it is about the same flexibility as the original lens cap that came with the phantom V2+

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 349
Reactions: Steezynickel
Lens cap came out great with the ninja semiFlex it is about the same flexibility as the original lens cap that came with the phantom V2+
Very nice print I like how flexible that material is I'm gonna push for my work to buy the material for other prints we might do for clients.

I can print these lens caps up if people would like them in this flexible material. The only drawback to printing with this material it that you have to set your 3D print speed very slow so it takes about an hour to print each one at high resolution. I am not looking to get rich off of these just help out this community that has helped me out in the past so I should be able to print and ship each one for $7 anywhere in the US through USPS.

If there is a need I can print these out. I could probably do 10 at a time.

Edit
Never mind I will let data do it.

I designed one today that's a little different. Has a lip on the edge to make it easier to pull off and two "D" rings on either side for attaching a "Remove Before Flight" Banner
Made mine with a 32mm opening and it fits snug on the lens and doesn't fall off
Here's the design

Will upload the files to Thingiverse

Attachments

• P3 Cap design.JPG
    P3 Cap design.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 305
  • p3 cap finished.JPG
    p3 cap finished.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 271
  • p3 cap installed.JPG
    p3 cap installed.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
I can print these lens caps up if people would like them in this flexible material. The only drawback to printing with this material it that you have to set your 3D print speed very slow so it takes about an hour to print each one at high resolution. I am not looking to get rich off of these just help out this community that has helped me out in the past so I should be able to print and ship each one for $7 anywhere in the US through USPS.
PayPal? PM me when you're ready.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/AZV9HNFNG/dji-phantom-3-lens-cap

This iteration of the lens caps that I sent to a user, earlier in this thread fitted snuggly and remains on the P3's camera. For now, it's a beta because it doesn't fit inside the box that comes with the Phantom 3, but it works as a lens cap while it's not in the box!

I just ordered a set from this guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/331548579761?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Looks nice, with 2 tabs for sliding on and off, or drilling a small hole in to attach a string to the gimbal guard. He is printing more as he sold out fast.

That's about as cheap as I've seen them.
He's probably losing a few bucks on each order after ebay fees, shipping, materials etc.
but doesn't realize it. I should order 100 sets from him for my grandson and let him sell them elsewhere for $10.00 a pair instead of opening a lemonade stand lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20