No insurance from Square Trade for DIJ drones

The insurance industry has gotten so greedy, it (and therefore parts of society, as evidenced in this thread) forgets how it's supposed to work. The entire idea of insurance is that a large number of people pay a small amount of money to cover costs of damage from the inevitable few that need it.

Do you think Phantom crashes are that much more common than car crashes? Nearly everyone I know has been in a car accident at some point in their lives; the same cannot be said for people in this forum, many of which have never experienced an issue.

If the insurance industry stopped being asshats, we could have a working system for UAS insurance, without being fleeced.
Let's just be clear, what companies like Square Trade offer is not insurance. It's a warranty. Just like manufactures offer on their products. There is a big difference. Huge difference. If a company does not want to sell an extended warranty, that is their right. If they thought they could do it and make a buck I'm sure they would. They are in the business of crunching those numbers and I'm betting the risk is not stable enough to determine a reasonable rate.

I was looking into seeing if the company I work for might create a "drone policy" but I don't think it would be cost effective for fliers.

If you use certain AMEX cards you get an extra year of warranty included with the purchase. You also get 90 days of damage/loss protection. All at no additional charge. There is also return protection but it only covers up to $300.

Extended Warranty♦up to a year on eligible purchases
Why is it that as soon as a manufacturer's warranty runs out, something always seems to happen? When you use your American Express®Card for eligible purchases, you can get up to one extra year added to the original manufacturer's warranty. Applies to warranties of 5 years or less. Please read important exclusions and restrictions.

Purchase Protection♦can help put your mind at ease
Shop with added confidence and Purchase Protection♦, which can help protect eligible purchases made with the Card against accidental damage and theft for up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Please read important exclusions and restrictions.

Return Protection‡shop with more confidence
If you try to return an eligible item within 90 days from the date of purchase and the merchant won't take it back, American Express may refund the full purchase price (excluding shipping and handling), up to $300 per item, up to a maximum of $1,000 per calendar year per Card account, if you purchased it entirely with your eligible American Express® Card. Please read important exclusions and restrictions.

Dispute Resolutioncan help protect you
If there's a fraudulent or mistaken charge on your statement, simply let us know. American Express will work with you and the merchant to help resolve the issue.‡

If you use certain AMEX cards you get an extra year of warranty included with the purchase. You also get 90 days of damage/loss protection. All at no additional charge. There is also return protection but it only covers up to $300.

Why is it that as soon as a manufacturer's warranty runs out, something always seems to happen? When you use your American Express®Card for eligible purchases, you can get up to one extra year added to the original manufacturer's warranty. Applies to warranties of 5 years or less. Please read important exclusions and restrictions.

Shop with added confidence and Purchase Protection♦, which can help protect eligible purchases made with the Card against accidental damage and theft for up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Please read important exclusions and restrictions.

If you try to return an eligible item within 90 days from the date of purchase and the merchant won't take it back, American Express may refund the full purchase price (excluding shipping and handling), up to $300 per item, up to a maximum of $1,000 per calendar year per Card account, if you purchased it entirely with your eligible American Express® Card. Please read important exclusions and restrictions.

If there's a fraudulent or mistaken charge on your statement, simply let us know. American Express will work with you and the merchant to help resolve the issue.‡

I looked into this a while back and I am pretty sure I saw no coverage provision for aircraft.

I think having insurance on these things would promote some really bad flying overall. If you know it is yourself who will pay up, behaviors tighten up pretty quickly.

If you can't afford to lose it... don't fly it, which begs the question on why buy it in the first place.

Just spoke with them. "Only offer warranty for purchases from B and H, no protection for Amazon purchased or other."

Which is reasonable.

Edit: But I wish they would try to upsale. They know we'll need replacement parts, etc., and they could increase some revenue by responding to these inquiries with, "We're sorry, blah blah, but here's a 10% coupon for any DJI Phantom 3 Pro accessories should you ever need them!"

As a newbie.....is it automatic I become a moron? Do I just need to flap my lips and say nothing meaningful or just generalise a statement to encompass that which you don't like?

You just said you're a newbie so whatever words you have after that admission are simply moronic by default. Duh. ;)

Read some posts that indicated one could buy insurance (~$280 for 3 year policy) for DIJ drones that covered everything except theft and flyaway (one would have to have the remains of the drone in order to collect the insurance).

Just got off the phone with Square Trade.... THEY ARE NOT INSURING DIJ DRONES...DOES NOT MATTER IF THE DRONE HAS A BUILT IN CAMERA OR NOT...THEY ARE NOT INSURING DIJ DRONES.

So much for protecting one from DIJ manufacturing defects and lack of warranty replacement and/or repair.

Would've ordered P3 today if the policy was available... Not about to roll the ~$1500 dice without assurance
that one is covered for unit failure due to manufacturing defect(s)...

First off, everyone needs to settle down a bit. Keep it civil. ;)

Secondly, B&H does in fact offer SquareTrade warranty if bought from them if nothing has changed recently.
They had a special arrangement from ST so that might be what is causing some confusion.

I just got ST with my new bird last week from B&H with 2 years for 98 bucks .
So I concur with TJ ! :cool:
Is worth it ! IMO

Hi!

I talked to AMEX earlier. With the platinum card I get 1 year accidental damage on all electronics, DJI P3P included.

Reactions: gfredrone
Actually, Squaretrade is currently (Nov 2015) bundling some of their service contracts with DJI drones. It's astonishing that they're doing that. I'm corresponding with them by email and they confirm that they're doing it. I'm going to get it confirmed and then buy one with my Phantom 3! It's an astonishing deal, 8% of price for a service contract that covers "Drops and spills".

Hi!

I talked to AMEX earlier. With the platinum card I get 1 year accidental damage on all electronics, DJI P3P included.

Two things: AMEX Accidental damage (for Platinum) is only good for ninety days. The warranty will be extended an additional year, but the accidental damage/theft/etc is only good for 90 days. Second, aircraft are specifically excluded from the program. Whether AMEX makes the determination that it's a toy or an aircraft is really at their discretion.

Btw squaretrade told me they would now only insure drones with value under $400, and that they've informed Amazon of that. Also bhphotovideo said basically the same.

Phantom 3 owner have had a 5 foot crash over ice still flying . Waiting for 2 motors to get installed. If you are worried about crashing. You should be flying a 50 buck quad that can take a few hits. If you are serious about an aerial quad for video and pictures. Buy Dji Phantom 3 or 4. Every drone requires work. You listen to the motors before take off. You watch your monitor and make sure you know where you are and your height. Its like driving a car. Do you take your car out when you are drunk or when its dangerous out? No. Use common sense and know worst case scenario. It will fall out of the sky and maybe hurt someone if you dont follow the rules. Stop whining about insurance and know how to fly and operate the bird, for gods sake it has return to home.

Phantom 3 owner have had a 5 foot crash over ice still flying . Waiting for 2 motors to get installed. If you are worried about crashing. You should be flying a 50 buck quad that can take a few hits. If you are serious about an aerial quad for video and pictures. Buy Dji Phantom 3 or 4. Every drone requires work. You listen to the motors before take off. You watch your monitor and make sure you know where you are and your height. Its like driving a car. Do you take your car out when you are drunk or when its dangerous out? No. Use common sense and know worst case scenario. It will fall out of the sky and maybe hurt someone if you dont follow the rules. Stop whining about insurance and know how to fly and operate the bird, for gods sake it has return to home.

profound!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.