NO HELP

Reaction score
you might as well call this the NO help forum. It is about as helpful as DJI support. 78 views of my problem and exactly ONE response. Which was question of my pre flight lights. Dah!. I think I know what lights are supposed to be there. How about WHY after 2 months of flying. It flies straight in to the bushes at takeoff? Anyone know A dependable Qcopter? I have a list of clients wanting to use me, including the local zoo. can't wait to fly it straight into the giraffes

I've seen three recent posts from you. Sometimes people don't answer if the question asked is vague, or they don't want to answer if they are not fairly sure. Which is a good thing because if you get 20 different answers it only makes it harder for you to fix the problem.

So here goes my best guess answer for your posts. I assume you recently upgraded to FW 3.08 since your post is dated when it released.

As a rule of thumb when firmware is upgraded most users do the following before flight of newly flashed upgrade.

Hook up RC Tx to computer running RC Assistant 1.1. Calibrate the RC Tx. Making sure to follow instructions on screen. Make sure full range of control sticks s1 s2 and x1 are included in calibration.

Next close out that software. Unplug RC Tx but leave it on. Open Phantom Assistant 3.4 and connect Phantom and power it up. Go to the RC screen and do the same thing by clicking on calibrate button for controls making sure you move sticks full range. Then finish that and calibrate the s1 s2 and x1 toggles and lever. In essence your teaching your Phantom what the full ranges are when RC tax sends it commands. This way the Phantom responds appropriately to commands.

Then go to the IMU screen in "tools" and click on "Full Calibration". Make sure the Phantom remains still and is on a very level surface. Make sure the totals from the calibrated columns is somewhere between 14000 to 18000.

Power off Phantom then RC Tx.

Then once in a open field do the compass calibration. Once completed turn Phantom off and then power it back up. Let the IMU initialize making sure no ferrous metal is near by during the compass dance and IMU initiation. Wait until 2 sets of fast repeating green lights are seen. Wait and makes your getting slow repeating green lights. This will confirm you have enough satellites for flight. Apply throttle getting Phantom up to 15 feet. Let it hover to confirm it is operating properly.

Hope this helps. Also most users go through these steps after user error crashes to make sure everything is OK.

Thank you. Every one has been so impressed with the video I have shot, I have a list of people wanted to you me (free to fly and record) I only charge for editing), But I lost control and confidence that I had built up over the last 2 months. I have to TRUST my QC. Luckily I didn't have a client watching as it face planted in the bushes. Everyone fears a fly away. I had not feared a fly into the bushes 3 times. I need my DJI and I will have to buy another one if I can't trust this one

No help ? I'm shocked :cool:
Even if I can't help I'll at least sympathise :mrgreen:
Same location or any location?
Seems unlikely calibration is so far off in 2 months
Any major crashes ? Causes damage, seems ok to fly afterwards, then weeks later things start to play up...
Interference issue maybe? Swamped signal ?
I use an app called WiFi Overview 360 which can show nearby phone/wifi networks, signals strengths etc.
Wifi networks everywhere these days !
I'd tether it to the ground on say a short 10m leash over long grass and test every aspect of the controls to see if they're operating exactly as they should.
Other than that probably a DJI repair job.

3 different locations last 2 40 miles apart. Absolutely NO problem for 2 months. no crashes until yesterday, and that was more of a fly righ tint the bushes, I knew right away something was wrong when it wasn't responding. no interference. it wasn't a fly away, it just went crazy right off the ground three times. all low altitude. I have flown in these exact spots previously with no problems. I learned right away to tuen GOPRo wifi off. I tethered today at a different location and had same takeoff result. wouldn't fly in the same spot. It would respond to controls but would over react and I fought tot control it until it dove into the ground. I HAVE TO TRUST MY DJI . I am very frustrated. No reply from DJI yet. I have several important shoots coming up. I need to get a fix or buy another one..

Worth reinstalling the drone and TX software - I would.
Shouldn't be the cause but then it shouldn't be doing what it's doing either.
Sounding more like a DJI repair case I'm afraid.
Pity there's no diagnostics available...

There is diagnostic available.
Send it over my way, you will get it back in 2-3days after I get it.
It is hard to troubleshoot your specific issue without digging into the phantom.
But so far I've had 100% success in troubleshooting them. Look at my other posts.

Hani

tvleaker said:
you might as well call this the NO help forum. It is about as helpful as DJI support.

I know it's a frustrating issue, but no need to attack others for not knowing the answers you need. The problem you're having doesn't have a nice ready solution, or possibly any for that matter. I've seen numerous others who have experienced the same and no known solution has worked.

The fact about consumer-grade drones is that they're still an early-gen emerging technology, and any time you fly you run the very real risk of a flyaway or crash, even with an aircraft that's performed flawlessly for months and has no signs of any issues.

Other than the suggestions above (which we have no idea if you've tried our know about, just as with the question about your LED's), the only other recommendation I have would be to test it without any camera/gimbal attached.

Any updates on your issues?

Yes I finally hear back from DJI support. They are telling me make sure I am upgraded to latest software. (which I am and I was) and do advanced calibration. then the said the normal . Do compass calibration, don;t go near cell towers or radio towers. then call support. I am trying the advanced Cali.

I have several clients that are using me for pics and video. I HAVE TO TRUST THA PHANTOM. I have spent a lot of time perfecting flying only to have 3 consecutive low altitude loss of control. fortunately no one saw it and I an hush hush on my problems until they are fixed. but after learning to trust and feel confident that I am in control, now I am going back to square one.

And yes I was frustrated that I could;t find or get help from anyone with a similar problem or any insight into WHY this happened. I apologized

It really sounds like you have an issue in the IMU. But that's just a wild *** guess on my part. If you do a full IMU and same issue occurs. But then again something could be wrong with your RC Tx also.

We are the best beta testers around. We pay large amounts of money and time, trouble shooting DJI's problems for them.

This makes them smart and us dumb ;)

How are the battery's in the controller ?
Have you done what Damon suggested ?
Not to sound like a troll but if you are using this as a income you should have a back up bird nothing is 100% Machines have problems especially if it has software running it look at apple and iOS 8 . Something put everything out of whack or something just went bad and needs replaced . Do you have any vid ?

I am a videographer by trade. Mostly regular HD cameras. But I have a lot of interest in the aerial shots. Not my normal modes of income but has potential. I am ordering another Phantom 2.
I have done all the advanced calibrations, but it was windy today so I postponed test flight until the weekend. I am going to tether it again and video the takeoff so if it happens again I can send it to tech support. I finally heard back from DJi and they basically suggested advanced calibration too.
You can see some of my video at my website
www.texashdvideo.com
These videos are mostly for promotion but one is a preview of the community that is hiring me to help produce a web video for them. I understand that I can't charge for using the UA fro commercial purposes so I just charge for the editing.

tvleaker said:
These videos are mostly for promotion but one is a preview of the community that is hiring me to help produce a web video for them. I understand that I can't charge for using the UA fro commercial purposes so I just charge for the editing.

That's an interesting loop hole, only charging for editing. I'm not sure the FAA will appreciate the distinction between shooting the footage and editing the footage when it comes down to the fact that you are producing a video product. You are after all, a professional videographer, and using video footage that you shot using a UAV. I'm not siding with the FAA, only playing devil's advocate.

As a professional videographer, would you use the cheapest, almost toy quality video camera to produce your product? OF course not, you buy top grade stuff. Why would you count on a "hobby grade" drone, and then complain that it's not reliable enough for your professional use? DJI never claimed that the Phantom would be suitable for that purpose. Why not look into a S900 or S1000, both of which DJI claim as professional grade.

The go pro on 1080 looks as good as any of my professional HD cameras. I don;t have a business of drone flying just adds to some projects. Just curious, if FAA says no how is Amazon planning to get around it when they start drone delivery?

How do you know Amazon will get around the rule? Perhaps they won't, it's much too soon to say one way or the other. Anyway, you don't have "a business" of using tripods either, but they are a tool you use to make your final product. I think the drone is just one more tool, like a tripod. It's a flying tripod! For now, we have some freedom to fly, but no one knows if that will continue....

Here's a link to a different quad from a different company
http://www.walkera.com/en/showgoods.php?id=2616

I don't have one, but I do like the automatic fly around a circle feature.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic