No fly zones

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Vision + can be downgraded to 2.0? These no fly zones are a good idea but they are killing me. They keep popping up intermittently on mon- restricted areas. Thanks.

supposedly people have been able to downgrade as long as you didn't install the very latest update that came out about 1-2 weeks ago. There are already several topics on hear created about it.

Can you give an example of where its giving you the no-fly zone when it shouldn't?

I still have a pv2. Have a plus on order. My pv2 is giving me the warnings well oitside of zone a or b and not all the time.

Yes, the + can be downgraded to the version 2.0 firmware, which does not have the airport restrictions. If you search on this forum you will find links to download the 2.0 firmware. Be advised if you want to use the upcoming waypoints feature (and to be honest, after the novelty of using that feature once, I have NO idea what the benefit of waypoints will be, so I personally could care less about it) you will need to go to later firmware versions

Somewhat the opposite - mine is NOT giving me warnings when it probably should.

And, so far, I'm also having trouble finding a project to use the waypoints. I asked about them a while back and several good ideas came up but now that I have mine, I am not sure I really needed it.

Great thanks. You have restored my faith. I was really feeling sick about it. My parents live in an approach area for an airport. The anes are at about 10,000 feet in That area. I know the dji will not fly there but c'mon. If I fly around my dads house at 60' pretty sure aircraft is the last thing i am worried about.

myvrodrocks said:
Great thanks. You have restored my faith. I was really feeling sick about it. My parents live in an approach area for an airport. The anes are at about 10,000 feet in That area. I know the dji will not fly there but c'mon. If I fly around my dads house at 60' pretty sure aircraft is the last thing i am worried about.

just check their map. I have an airforce base about 10-15 miles from my house and its not even marked by DJI as a no fly zone.
Also a small airport in the opposite direction from me is not marked as a no fly zone by DJI.
However the major commercial airport in Miami (MIA) is marked.

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

The map is not accurate. That much I have determined. The airport near me here shows about a 1 mile circle. It doesn't even cover the runway. The red pin is where I tried to fly and got the "restricted no fly" warning.
yvejy7uj.jpg
y7a9u9u7.jpg

MikesTooLz said:
myvrodrocks said:

just check their map. I have an airforce base about 10-15 miles from my house and its not even marked by DJI as a no fly zone.
Also a small airport in the opposite direction from me is not marked as a no fly zone by DJI.
However the major commercial airport in Miami (MIA) is marked.

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

I live in Perth, Western Australia & the domestic/international airport is listed in the DJI no-fly zones. However, I live just 3km from an airport (Jandakot) which is the busiest regional airport in the whole of Australia & yet it doesn't rate a mention in DJI no-fly list... Odd.

myvrodrocks said:

The point is their house is located on/near the approach paths for commercial aircraft. This is restricted airspace & if they catch you flying at 60ft or indeed 6ft in a restricted area, you'll get nailed. Not worth the risk, take it to a park or open area away from airports.
Best rule of thumb when flying these things: Don't attract undue attention to yourself!!!

If the DJI map of no-fly zones is not complete--that is, it mentions only major commercial airports in my area, for example--how are we supposed to know where we can fly?

In my area there are two major commercial airports about 30 miles apart, and which are indicated as Categories A and B on the DJI map, but in between those to major airports are two small general aviation airports and a federal airfield that are 5-15 miles from where I live.

Also, what is the indication on a Phantom 2 that you are in a no-fly zone--some flashing red lights or something?

Phantom_Menace66 said:
The point is their house is located on/near the approach paths for commercial aircraft. This is restricted airspace & if they catch you flying at 60ft or indeed 6ft in a restricted area, you'll get nailed.

That's a really big "if" these days, considering that the FAA and FBI couldn't even figure out who was flying stuff a few times around the airports in NYC - and they only knew about it (and started investigating) after several pilots brought it to their attention. Given that the poster said that lanes of traffic are much higher than s/he intends to fly the quad, I'd say there isn't much likelihood of attracting much (if any) attention. But if one creates a problem or a stir, then (of course) all bets are off.

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Not worth the risk, take it to a park or open area away from airports.
Best rule of thumb when flying these things: Don't attract undue attention to yourself!!!

That's definitely the best advice, and what I'd also recommend. If there's a nice open area nearby, it's likely to be much more fun to fly anyway as you'll be able to do so without any concerns or fears of causing any problems or getting into any trouble. You'll be able to fly higher and freer with a clear conscience.

I think someone is missing the point. Call the dji a drone, model aircraft, UFO it does not matter. But I ask,
Is there the same regulations enforced for RC model aircraft it seems not.

I have recently retired as an airline pilot so I am familiar with the ano. But I can see the day when restricted class A C airspace before we know it will extend to smaller airfields and we will be confined to very few flying sites. dji should be very careful
On the database and should allow the pilot to re size restricted airspace. And allow common sense to prevail.

Phantom_Menace66 said:
myvrodrocks said:

The point is their house is located on/near the approach paths for commercial aircraft. This is restricted airspace & if they catch you flying at 60ft or indeed 6ft in a restricted area, you'll get nailed. Not worth the risk, take it to a park or open area away from airports.

Phantom_Menace66, what you said is not always correct. myvrodrocks could look carefully at the FAA charts if he wants to find out (I use Avare app for Android, you can download these for free).

The idea is that airspace classing (restrictions) is done both in areas and altitude ranges. If his parent's house is in the approach path of an airport, unless he is extremely close to the airport it is probably not restricted until reaching a certain altitude.

Here is a graphic that make a good illustration to show you what this means:
http://www.vatusa.net/training/show_ima ... &gallery=2
See the runway illustration at the bottom of the upside-down cone? (line with two angled slashes through it).

I believe the mistake that DJI made was that they incorrectly assumed that if there is some restriction in an area, that it applies from 0 AGL all the way up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers