No Fly Zones vs. Authorization Zones

Reaction score
Please pardon me if this has been covered, but I searched and could not find this in any post.

DJI apparently has two different maps for their No Fly Zones.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography - this map has lots more blue NO FLY ZONES.

No FLY Zones | DJI - this map has fewer NO FLY ZONES, and it breaks them into Category A and Category B.

So, question #1: does anyone know why DJI has two different NO FLY ZONE maps since they appear to be very different?

Question #2: can anyone explain the difference between a NO FLY ZONE as shown on the above maps and the DJI Authorization Zones and Restricted Areas associated with the GEO effort within DJI GO app currently in Beta for Android?

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Thanks for your help!

A #1) The different maps apply to different aircraft. That is, the older, outdated map applies to the older, outdated Phantoms such as the Vision and Vision plus. New firmware versions are not written for those aircrafts, so the older no fly zones still apply even if they are not current.

A #2) The no-fly zones are no fly zones. DJI intends there to be no flying in those zones, period. The restricted zones on the newer maps are apparently another name for the no-fly zone. There is no flying. The authorization zones are no-fly unless the pilot does what is required to allow flight in the zone (e.g. notifying an airport tower of his flight plan). And if that is done, he may self-authorize his aircraft to fly in that specific zone.

A #1) The different maps apply to different aircraft. That is, the older, outdated map applies to the older, outdated Phantoms such as the Vision and Vision plus. New firmware versions are not written for those aircrafts, so the older no fly zones still apply even if they are not current.

A #2) The no-fly zones are no fly zones. DJI intends there to be no flying in those zones, period. The restricted zones on the newer maps are apparently another name for the no-fly zone. There is no flying. The authorization zones are no-fly unless the pilot does what is required to allow flight in the zone (e.g. notifying an airport tower of his flight plan). And if that is done, he may self-authorize his aircraft to fly in that specific zone.

Thanks Marknmd. Your response is most helpful.

Regarding the two NO FLY ZONE maps I linked to, one of them has the NO FLY ZONES divided into Categories - Category A and Category B. Do you think that this is the newer map that applies to Phantom 3's?

Marknmd - please disregard my last post. I found the answer to my last question. Thanks so much for your help.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20