NO Fly Zone?

Reaction score
Just crashed my drone in the water under a bridge. Flying was fine, lost connection and within 1 second the gimbal spend out of control and went and the drone went straight down. Before I contact DJI with my flight details, is flying my drone UNDER a bridge a no fly zone?

Just crashed my drone in the water under a bridge. Flying was fine, lost connection and within 1 second the gimbal spend out of control and went and the drone went straight down. Before I contact DJI with my flight details, is flying my drone UNDER a bridge a no fly zone?
no but it comes with a risk as you found out doubt dji will cover that sorry for your loss

no but it comes with a risk as you found out doubt dji will cover that sorry for your loss
Thank you. It's annoying because on my map there were no warning or alerts of a no fly zone. I have flown my brothers drone under the same spot twice before so there should not have been any problems.

Loss of connection will not make it crash like that - it will try to return to home. Sounds like it hit something but, in any case, it's not going to have anything to do with no-fly zones, which also don't cause Phantoms to crash.

Yea it did. I was just about clear of the bridge I was under and went to return home. The flight data shows it went from 1m to 15m then straight down to -3m. It also had an error saying it lost one of the propellers. So it definitely hit something and then went straight down. Either way, it shouldn't have done that right?

Yea it did. I was just about clear of the bridge I was under and went to return home. The flight data shows it went from 1m to 15m then straight down to -3m. It also had an error saying it lost one of the propellers. So it definitely hit something and then went straight down. Either way, it shouldn't have done that right?

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say. Yes it did what? From that description it sounds like it lost signal, initiated RTH, tried to ascend to the set RTH altitude, hit the underside of the bridge, lost a propeller and then crashed. What does that have to do with no-fly zones?

Reactions: BigAl07
Flying IN and Around and UNDER bridges can have drastic outcome. Remember with today's Flight Controllers we are relying on GPS (clear sight of the sky) and Compass (metal in structures can cause havoc) to actually fly the aircraft. We are more or less occasionally redirecting the travel direction but the FC is controlling the actual flight. It's possible you compromised one or two critical instruments during this (compass and/or GPS) and the aircraft returned to home or lost it's bearings.

Reactions: Dramface460
And for the record the aircraft doesn't fall with it encounters a NFZ. It runs into it like a marshmallow wall but will not penetrate it.

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say. Yes it did what? From that description it sounds like it lost signal, initiated RTH, tried to ascend to the set RTH altitude, hit the underside of the bridge, lost a propeller and then crashed. What does that have to do with no-fly zones?
Yea that's exactly what happened. I'm just in the middle of gathering all my data together to send off to dji and just wanted to know that so they just don't shut down my case and say i shouldn't have been flying it there anyway.

Yea that's exactly what happened. I'm just in the middle of gathering all my data together to send off to dji and just wanted to know that so they just don't shut down my case and say i shouldn't have been flying it there anyway.
soon as thet see flights logs and going under bridged doubt they are going to help you out on this one but it is worth a try

OK. But DJI is not going to accept responsibility - that is purely pilot error. Not because it was a no-fly zone, but because you flew it to a location where it lost signal without considering what would happen if and when it attempted to RTH. The aircraft behaved as designed.

It is probable that DJI used the wrong term, "NFZ", when they meant a place they don't think you should fly. I bet it was what what they are saying above, the RC lost connection with your bird so RTH was activated.

This last weekend, I didn't want to bother people, and I didn't want to be bothered by those same people who were stopped on the side of a road to view a historic bridge while I was flying my drone. I setup around the other side of a hill which gave me poor connection while I flew close to and over the bridge. That in itself is bad, but what was worse is that there were electric lines high above the bridge, so if I did lose connection, there was possibility my bird would have flown into the lines. I could have dealt with inputting a proper RTH height, but it was hard to judge due to tall trees and steep hill sides.

OK. But DJI is not going to accept responsibility - that is purely pilot error. Not because it was a no-fly zone, but because you flew it to a location where it lost signal without considering what would happen if and when it attempted to RTH. The aircraft behaved as designed.
yea I can't say I disagree. It was my fault and it hurts.

Reactions: BigAl07
It is probable that DJI used the wrong term, "NFZ", when they meant a place they don't think you should fly. I bet it was what what they are saying above, the RC lost connection with your bird so RTH was activated.

This last weekend, I didn't want to bother people, and I didn't want to be bothered by those same people who were stopped on the side of a road to view a historic bridge while I was flying my drone. I setup around the other side of a hill which gave me poor connection while I flew close to and over the bridge. That in itself is bad, but what was worse is that there were electric lines high above the bridge, so if I did lose connection, there was possibility my bird would have flown into the lines. I could have dealt with inputting a proper RTH height, but it was hard to judge due to tall trees and steep hill sides.
Man, lucky you didn't. That could have been bad, Glad that flight worked out for you.
Thing is with mine. Lots of time i flew it, no matter where i was. In a field, or in the city or wherever it would loose connection. it's a shame these things are so prone to loosing connection

Man, lucky you didn't. That could have been bad, Glad that flight worked out for you.
Thing is with mine. Lots of time i flew it, no matter where i was. In a field, or in the city or wherever it would loose connection. it's a shame these things are so prone to loosing connection
You're having connection issues?? That was a thing for a little bit but that problem has been long gone for myself and everyone I know.

You're having connection issues?? That was a thing for a little bit but that problem has been long gone for myself and everyone I know.
Yea, I have had terrible luck. The first two I sent back because the gimbal horizon was off on both. I calibrated perfectly fine on a 100% level surface. Cold. IMU everything. The 3rd one was the same so I just thought sod it and put up with it.

Almost on every flight the aircraft would disconnect, let alone weak transmission signal which I would even get in an open field sometimes. A couple of days ago, during flight the gimbal spun out of control randomly for no reason and then went back to normal. Frightened me but everything seemed okay after that. Then today happened.

I know all this was pilot error but still, there was just something up with my drones

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20