No fly zone?

Reaction score
I just got my Phantom 4 back from DJI for repair. I guess they had to replace the main board. When set it up today I got a message that said 'unpaved airport' and the map was shaded red. When the aircraft finished warming up, it said 'cannot take off' and when I clicked on the banner it said 'no fly zone'. The closest airport to me is O'hare which is about 15 miles away. Plus I never had this problem before sending it in for repair. I reset everything several times and I kept getting the same messages. Finally, I deleted the go app and re downloaded it, then everything seemed to work ok and I was able to take off. I really have no idea why this happened. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Do you have "GEO SYSTEM" enabled under "General Settings"?

I had a goofy situation like that a few weeks back - updating the DJI Go app to the latest version cured it for me even though a different device was working fine on an earlier version of the app.

My speculation is data corruption related to their NFZ / Geofencing. Updating the app (or in your case deleting and reinstalling) must clear something out there. As to why it coincided with the return of your repaired bird . . . maybe firmware version different than what the DJI Go was able to handle or remembered? (I kill and restart the Go app now after any firmware upgrade since I've had problems in the past.)

FWIW, it sounds like you live in Chicago area, so you might appreciate the 'red zone' I was getting (attached) - looked like the complete 30 nm O'Hare Mode C ring which made absolutely no sense. Per the FAA website, the nearest TFR was a 5 nm radius over Gary for their airshow. When I would try to takeoff, I'd get a message explaining that I was in restricted airspace and giving me an option to send DJI a notification that it was in error - except the send always failed with the app saying that User Authorization Failed (even though I am a registered user, and the app had the correct information) - clearly something flakey was happening to the app.

Glad you were able to resolve it with an app reinstall - it can be very frustrating being told by DJI that you can't fly when you know that you can.

DJI NFZ all Chicago.PNG

DJI NFZ Error.PNG

This whole idea of a manufacturer identifying "no fly zones" is completely bogus to begin with. Part 107 pilots will be completely involved in the national airspace system (just like any other pilot) and any arbitrary "no fly zone" will be a huge problem.

Thanks for responding. I was pretty much getting that same red circle over the Chicago area. Seems to be fine now that I have the app updated. Must have been a software glitch.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

This whole idea of a manufacturer identifying "no fly zones" is completely bogus to begin with. Part 107 pilots will be completely involved in the national airspace system (just like any other pilot) and any arbitrary "no fly zone" will be a huge problem.

^^ This is a real issue & concern^^.
Especially if you're flying under part 107 and have all the ATC and control tower permission you can possibly get.

Same issue here in Canada. I have a job to do having been asked to fly for a farmer located near an airport. 50 ft away from his farm I can takeoff but I can't get any closer . . .even with an SFOC from Transport Canada, a properly filed NOTAM and listening out on the local Air Traffic freq . . it is dji who has decided I can't fly the mission.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik