no fly zone, wash dc

Reaction score
Can someone please explain the different shades here for the DC area?

No FLY Zones | DJI

I assume the red is a no go fly because of the airport...I get that. The middle size circle that is orange and the big circle that is pink, what do they mean?

Did you look at the video on the page? It gives a nice description about the different levels :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This page automatically pulled up my location, and put the airports in. The trouble is, it didn't list the airport in Port Aransas, and didn't list the military fly zone running almost the length of the island. I don't know if this is a dji site to use to tell you where NFZ's are, but I wont be using it if it is. Granted, there are more NFZ's than you can shake a stick at, but leaving any out is not good. But, it's dji, so what can I say?

Did you look at the video on the page? It gives a nice description about the different levels :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No, not yet...won't play at work...will watch when I get home...thanks!

This is a great informative video. Thanks. I live about 3 miles from a class b airport. And I also was wondering why I could fly. So now I know. If I'm .06 of a mile it will not fly. And it's possible to fly 4 miles away from main international airport. Sweet. Great info. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ok, so if I understand this right, the entire circle around DC area is a no fly zone then...and the reason for the three colors is the yellow secondary section is overlayed on the larger red circle, thus making like an orange color...correct?

Hi Pappy - I'm about 19 miles due north of downtown DC.

That map in your OP is old and it doesn't apply to your P3. It might apply to a P2 however - I'm not sure if the P2 firmware was updated to include the newer map. The map you have in the OP is close but it's not quite accurate. The circle in your outdated map is centered over the White House which was DJI's knee-jerk response to the moron who crashed his Phantom on the White House lawn last winter. But that map doesn't accurately display the Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) which is a radius of 15 miles from Reagan National Airport. So that's what you need to be concerned with.

Here is an up to date map: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

It's the same sized circle but it's moved south a bit so that Reagan National is in the center rather than the White House.

It's a no-fly zone. We're not permitted to fly in that blue circle without "specific authorization" and I'm not sure it it's possible to get that specific authorization, but I kind of doubt it. In addition to that, there are areas downtown called "Area P56" where flight is absolutely forbidden. These are near monuments, the White House, and the Naval Observatory.

Hope this helps.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic