No Fly Zone Override

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I am trying to obtain permission from a local golf course to provide aerial video services but the issue is they are right next to a Class D airport and the drone is not able to even take off due to the no fly zone restrictions. I own a Phantom 4 but assume it's the same with other drones (non-DJI).

My question is, has anyone successfully gone through the "Individual Unlocking" procedure with DJI to have them override this restriction? I know a certificate of waiver will also be required, but wondering if anyone can tell me how long it takes on DJI's part (I know I may have to wait for a few months on the FAA), and more specifically, if you have to fly manually or if way point navigation is still available with either DJI Go or Litchi.

I don't have the answer but I may need it one day. I'm assuming you have a commercial certificate or you wouldn't be applying for a waiver but I'm a little confused. If you'll be flying OUTSIDE the class D airspace, why would you need a waiver? What is the airspace immediately outside the D (abutting it)(or did I misunderstand your question)? I'm not being critical, just curious. It's a good question and you seem to have a good handle on things and a desire to do things right.

Edit: I think I get it. You said "RIGHT NEXT to a Class D airport" so I assume you'll be inside the airspace. I haven't searched here but I've seen the process of unlocking described on here somewhere.

Last edited:
Hi Pharm - no worries at all. You're not being critical but I appreciate it when folks question me. It helps me.

Yes, I do have a commercial certificate. I most definitely will be inside of Class D airspace and after looking again at a map, I may also need another waiver for right-of-way but I'm still looking in to this. There is the runway, a street, and the golf course is literally a stones throw from the end of the runway (well, not sure if I could actually throw on that far, but it's right across the street). The course is directly in the takeoff/landing pattern.

The problem, well I guess it's a good thing, is that since it's in a no-fly zone, the phantom can't even fly. However, l learned from DJI today if you have the proper authorization to fly in an area such as this, they can grant an override and allow you to fly. However, they say things like waypoint flying "may" be disabled so plan on flying manually, which is fine.

Here is what i'm talking about:

upload_2016-12-6_16-57-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-6_16-57-24.png
    upload_2016-12-6_16-57-24.png
    384.3 KB · Views: 329
I don't have the answer but I may need it one day. I'm assuming you have a commercial certificate or you wouldn't be applying for a waiver but I'm a little confused. If you'll be flying OUTSIDE the class D airspace, why would you need a waiver? What is the airspace immediately outside the D (abutting it)(or did I misunderstand your question)? I'm not being critical, just curious. It's a good question and you seem to have a good handle on things and a desire to do things right.

Edit: I think I get it. You said "RIGHT NEXT to a Class D airport" so I assume you'll be inside the airspace. I haven't searched here but I've seen the process of unlocking described on here somewhere.
Ahh yes, you are correct. Sorry. That mishap on my part makes a big difference on the scenario. I'll do a bit more searching. Thanks.

Reactions: cadm8
Good Afternoon,

My question is, has anyone successfully gone through the "Individual Unlocking" procedure with DJI to have them override this restriction? I know a certificate of waiver will also be required, but wondering if anyone can tell me how long it takes on DJI's part (I know I may have to wait for a few months on the FAA), and more specifically, if you have to fly manually or if way point navigation is still available with either DJI Go or Litchi.

Not yet. Just got this today: DJI is requesting the following and note that it is only good for 3 months even with the waiver from the airport. (Interesting, same scenario, Golf Course and river 1 mile from the airport and the airport will give me verbal authorization but haven't found the right person to put it on paper.)

1. A form of Authorization:
Please submit to us documentation of your authorization to fly in the designated area. Examples of such documentation include but are not limited to a certificate of authorization, operating license or permit from a national aviation authority, a letter of agreement with an airport, a statement of work from a facility that has hired you for the operation, etc.
2. A form of Identification: a copy of your driver’s license or a copy of the front of a major credit card or a copy of a national identification card, etc.
3. The attached disclaimer must be signed, confirming that you are fully responsible for your flights.

Then offer me below info:
1)Flight Controller's serial number(start with 0)(It can be found in DJI Go app’s About page) (picture attached)
2)Unlock location longitude, latitude and the radius . Please offer me the info in the format like longitude: 1.123456; latitude: 1.123456, radius:500m.
3)Unlock time. For example from March 24th 2016 to April 24th 2016
4)Your DJI Account email

At present, DJI approves a maximum unlocking radius of 30 kilometers, for a maximum period of 3 months.
For special requests in excess of these limits, i will forward all the documents to our supervisor for further approval.

After all the correct information forwarded to us, we will unlock the aircraft in our server as soon as possible.

Here is what i'm talking about:

View attachment 70219

Can you tell us what airport this is? The FAA has been publishing maps that provide some assistance to pilots in filling out waiver requests. They give the altitudes around an airport that would likely be approved. However, judging by the map you posted, this is so close, I would be very surprised if the FAA approved this, especially if this is the airports only runway.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1