No Fly Zone over Beachs in Hilton Head Island.

Thanks! I was looking for that! A picture is worth a thousand words! :cool:
No problem. It's probably the 73rd time I've posted it. Got about 10 screenshots in my FAQ arsenal. :)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fplvert
No problem. It's probably the 73rd time I've posted it. Got about 10 screenshots in my FAQ arsenal. :)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
It can save many a drone! Most early crashes occur when the neophyte pilot loses FPV and panics. If their antennas had been correctly oriented, they never would have lost FPV, and might still be flying!:cool:

Reactions: robiefield
Im guilty of having my antennas positioned toward the ground for about a week. Amazing the difference when you figure it out ha.

I am not convinced that the AMA helps support our common cause. They have their own agenda, and drone owners are not their focus. As a matter of fact, according to AMA proponents, they admit that drone flyers are often not even welcome among many AMA members at AMA flying fields! As to the reason Governor Moonbeam vetoed the proposed "drone" law, it had nothing to do with the AMA. It was an unconstitutional, unenforceable law that was ill conceived and attempted to control airspace exclusively in the jurisdiction of the FAA. The AMA actually wanted Moonbeam to sign another drone law instead!

To answer your question, I don't think we have any control whatsoever over whatever legislation or FAA Rules that will eventually be adopted/passed that will be enforceable and constitutional. They are coming. In the mean time, let's fly the heck out of these wonderful aerial flying platforms, instead of tilting at windmills. There is far too much media hype and misinformation that already has formed the opinions of the majority of voters for us to change their minds.

Drone shots are used everywhere. Very few have been shot in compliance with any guidelines or rules or laws. The footage isn't stamped with any approved compliance certification before use! Shoot away.

When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will fly drones!
They still won't be able to find the pilots, if they are careful! :cool:

I take it your not a member.

Who wants to follow all AMA rules and guidelines required for their "free" insurance, that the AMA has never had to pay out a claim on, because there are so many loopholes in their policy that they can always deny coverage ? :rolleyes: Did you know that the AMA prohibits handcatching, which is the best way to protect your craft during landing from dirt and debris and tipovers?

With your vast knowledge of AMA rules I would like to see the document which prohibits handcatching of a quadcopter.

See #7.
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf
Actually, there's quite a few rules we don't follow.:oops:
Thanks! :D See Rule B-7. "Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor aircraft in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an individual." No handcatching or handlaunching permitted! :eek: The devil is always in the details, and nobody ever reads them! In order for any AMA insurance policy to provide any coverage, every single one of their AMA Safety Code of Model Aircraft "rules" must be complied with. I doubt anyone has ever collected a dime under these "free" AMA insurance policies included with AMA membership. If they had, they couldn't include them free with a $70 annual membership! :cool: So, as you can see, they don't speak for us, and they certainly don't represent our interests as drone flyers! No FPV flying, spotters required, no night flying, can't land or launch or fly within 25 feet of any person except the pilot and spotter, no flying over people, VLOS only, name and address must be on the aircraft, no channel hacks, no closer than 50 feet to any above ground utility lines. Need I go on? Oh, and no drunk flying, either! Apparently, the security guard who crashed the Phantom on the White House lawn wasn't in full compliance with all AMA safety rules! Who knew? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fplvert
I was flying my P3A at 0700 in the morning on the north end of the beach on Hilton Head Island - SC. and after about 10 min a life guard came up to me and said there is "no flying over the beach - city counsil voted to ban them." He was cool about though and said there is almost no one on the beach so you are OK for a while. I flew for a few more minutes and brought it down.

We have a house in Port Royal, it's a private beach. I fly there a lot, going to fly there today. You can walk onto it from the other areas of HHI.

It is legal now as of July 2017. As long as under 50 lbs. lifeguard shared that info with me.

I was flying my P3A at 0700 in the morning on the north end of the beach on Hilton Head Island - SC. and after about 10 min a life guard came up to me and said there is "no flying over the beach - city counsil voted to ban them." He was cool about though and said there is almost no one on the beach so you are OK for a while. I flew for a few more minutes and brought it down.

Thanks! :D See Rule B-7. "Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor aircraft in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an individual." No handcatching or handlaunching permitted! :eek: The devil is always in the details, and nobody ever reads them! In order for any AMA insurance policy to provide any coverage, every single one of their AMA Safety Code of Model Aircraft "rules" must be complied with. I doubt anyone has ever collected a dime under these "free" AMA insurance policies included with AMA membership. If they had, they couldn't include them free with a $70 annual membership! :cool: So, as you can see, they don't speak for us, and they certainly don't represent our interests as drone flyers! No FPV flying, spotters required, no night flying, can't land or launch or fly within 25 feet of any person except the pilot and spotter, no flying over people, VLOS only, name and address must be on the aircraft, no channel hacks, no closer than 50 feet to any above ground utility lines. Need I go on? Oh, and no drunk flying, either! Apparently, the security guard who crashed the Phantom on the White House lawn wasn't in full compliance with all AMA safety rules! Who knew? :rolleyes:

Wrong on so many levels.

Insurance payout report by AMA exceeds $5 million as of 2012: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/500-q.pdf
AMA protecting and lobbying in Washington for drones with sundry links: AMA is protecting our hobby

However, I've run into issues with several AMA sanctioned fields that ban drones. When I asked "Why?" I found out the land their fields rest on are privately owned and some by the local parks department (And their No drone ordiances!) who can pull the lease if people act irresponsibly, and it seems some drone operators do violate the field rules and hence the ban. One north of LA by a lake bans them due to a long-posted posted rule at the field of not flying over the road north of the field to the lake area where some were chasing water skiers at close-up as well as boaters as observed by the lifeguards. Then came the public complaints and hence the drone ban or they'd lose the lease for the field. Farmers who set aside some land for AMA fields have issues with the drone flyers buzzing over to their their homes and then they get a ban at that field with a threat to plow it over.

As to night flights, some AMA RC fields I've been at do allow it and they do look nice in flight. Saturday Night Lights

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl