No Fly Zone is Wrong!

I know,I agree, difficult to accept it , but thing is that you can't fly in your backyard.You're immediately breaking the rules of 150/50 ... If you decide to do it anyway, and loose control and injure your neighbour sunbathing, or their kids, I prefer not thinking about the consequences... These restrictions do not please me either but they are based on bringing more safety for people and property. (I don't want to sound formal or anything ok...) :)

Just found this which only states the 50m rule

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can someone please clarify the restricted airspace rules that the Phantom 3 follows? I live in a big city with lots of airports (Los Angeles). Can I really not be within 5 miles of any of the airports? I'm a ways away from LAX, but there are a few smaller private airports within a few miles of where I would want to fly.

Can someone please clarify the restricted airspace rules that the Phantom 3 follows? I live in a big city with lots of airports (Los Angeles). Can I really not be within 5 miles of any of the airports? I'm a ways away from LAX, but there are a few smaller private airports within a few miles of where I would want to fly.
To go by the book you might be better off looking up the faa website. Some rules are made to be broken and some rules are there to stop passenger planes falling out of the sky. It's up to you if you wish to follow them or break them, if you decide to break them please dont do it by flying next to a landing strip, in the flight path of runway or at 3k ft high

Last edited:
Raph, as Mal suggested, don't go by what DJI allows. For example, Burbank airport is still not on DJI's list. No idea why but it obviously should be. If you can read aeronautical charts, use skyvector.com. If you need help with them, there is a video I posted a few posts back that explains it.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Responsible flying is going to keep us in the air. If we were to keep to the rules of the air we wouldn't get the amazing shots possible but just because we can do crazy stuff doesn't mean we have to, I know it's very tempting but we all know right from wrong. Just because I own a knife doesn't mean I'm gonna stab someone. Some people think we own the air, but I don't. There are plenty of low flying trained pilots who hold licences that you can ask here and I believe ianwood is one of them.
Sometimes it doesn't boil down to aviation laws but more down to common sense.
happy and safe flying dude :)

I didn't read the whole thread but I'd like to offer some insight into this. I live near John Wayne (KSNA) and the no fly zone seems about right to be, if not too small. There isn't just landing and departing traffic to worry about, as a pilot (and new drone owner, P3!) I can tell you that there are many patters any aircraft can take to make a landing. There is typical patters that you guys see everyday from commercial traffic which tends to be straight in or around the box. But there are special IFR patters, traffic coming in from an odd angle, and most importantly helicopter traffic which tends to approach perpendicular to the active runway to avoid fixed wing traffic. Also, in multiple runway setups, traffic often crosses perpendicular to the runway midfield in order to enter the box. There's a lot going on at an airport that most folks just don't know about.

For LAX (I live in Orange County). Traffic at LAX is nuts. Here's the VFR map that the FAA requires you to follow. It's a little daunting at first but if you read up on it it starts to make sense. There are also some special flight rules area's around LAX but nothing lower that 2500 AGL so it shouldn't affect you if you are following the rules. LAX is class B airspace but everything else in the area is class C or D so the rules are a little easier.

http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=33.405&lon=-118.416&zoom=9

Just found this which only states the 50m rule

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This cartoon is funny and quite instructive but they missed the point. Why don't you rather rely on the official publication from the CAA ?

Check the CAA IN2014/190 Paragraphs 6.1.2 and 6.1.3,quoting article 167 of ANO 2009, mentioning clearly that you cannot fly within 150m of a congested area.
The only exemptions allowing to fly at 50m are:
-If your sub 7kg has no camera able to gather data.
-If you hold a standard permission for aerial work delivered by the CAA and fly a sub7kg aircraft
-an exemption from the CAA.
The 50m rule they mention in the cartoon is outside of a congested area.

Last edited:
This cartoon is funny and quite instructive but they missed the point. Why don't you rather rely on the official publication from the CAA ?

Check the CAA IN2014/190 Paragraphs 6.1.2 and 6.1.3,quoting article 167 of ANO 2009, mentioning clearly that you cannot fly within 150m of a congested area.
The only exemptions allowing to fly at 50m are:
-If your sub 7kg has no camera able to gather data.
-If you hold a standard permission for aerial work delivered by the CAA and fly a sub7kg aircraft
-an exemption from the CAA.
The 50m rule they mention in the cartoon is outside of a congested area.

The Video is on the CAA website so is an official publication.
You are right about the 150m rule although the video just states "it is illegal to fly over a congested area" I'd be interested to to know the exact classification of "congested". It also states not to fly over or within 150m of an open air assembly of more than a 1000 people, but could say 800 still be classed as congested, I would say yes.
I will continue to use my common sense and try and stay well clear of any buildings or people out of my control...... Apart from when I fly in the backyard...;)

Last edited:
You know I just try to help you by telling you what is right and what is wrong. At the end of the day, if you don't want to respect the rules or if you misinterpret them (I admit it is not always very clear)and stand by your mistake, this is your responsibility. One can't force anyone to drive with a seat belt on or not texting while driving if they want to. That's ok no worries ;)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers