No-fly zone in UK . . .

Reaction score
As you'll possibly notice in the heading, I've used the singular in the heading as I can only find one No-fly zone on my "Go" App.

Each time I boot up at home on my new Phantom 4 I get a warning that I'm near to a No-fly zone. Looking at the map, there is the edge of a No-fly zone located just over 400 M from my home! Zooming out on the map shows that the zone is quite large, stretching from Whitwell to down by The Wash - about 95Km. (Photo attached)

Looking further at the map, I think that it's about the only No-fly zone in the UK!!

Is it a fault with the database or a problem with the data that's on my Tablet?

Any advice or explanations would be helpful.

Apologies to anyone looking at the attached picture as it appears to be upside down!

Attachments

• DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    292.2 KB · Views: 482
Hi daveleeds, many thanks for your reply. I was directed to http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map by dji. On that map, the area just to the east of Whitwell is an "enhanced warning zone" which I should be able to "unlock" The whole system of maps covering no fly zones that dji have associated with their websites seems to be a minefield. Perhaps they should be encouraged to stick with one map and not confuse things with two slightly different versions.

I've been busy doing other things (melting in this heat!!) so haven't had a play with the phantom today.

I see you're not too far from Whitwell station with your Alfreton address (that's down on the Butterley railway) I spent all of my working life travelling down to your area on various occasions as both firms had works down there - Genefax at Ambergate and Butterley Brick down at Ripley (head office) and also Waingroves.

I'm by no means a local. Only been down here for perhaps 3 years or so. Still I've found plenty of areas to practice with the p4. Interesting you should mention the Butterley works. I've been assisting Ripley and District Heritage with a project of theirs down at the now demolished Butterley Company and over at Codnor and the Jessop Monument.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi Daveleeds, Butterley Company remained in the steelworking industry, whilst I worked for Butterley Brick, whose head office was in Ripley on Wellington Street - originally in Godkin House (as it appears on Street View) and later in Unicorn House - the Unicorn was the Butterley Brick trade mark. Nearby, there was the Waingroves works that's still standing. Our other works was the Aglite plant that's now well flattened. It was down Street Lane, heading towards Denby.

If there's anything I can do to help, particularly with history on the brickmaking side, just ask!!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr