No Fly Zone hack?

Yeah I did it by accident. Luckily I had not fastened the lid on at that point.

But at least P3 only has no fly zones for airports!!!!! I red on another website that 3D solo has something that people can go to a website and list their own houses as no fly zones so that drones wont be able to fly by!!!!!!!!

I dont quite remember where I saw that but f that is really bad is that happens

Reactions: Rendart
It's not specific to 3DR.

You can read here:
https://www.noflyzone.org/

Or do your own Google personal no fly zone search for more.

I literally ordered a DJI 1 day before the moron flew his DJI into the White House. Now that DJI is incorporating a 15 MILE no fly zone around the White House it pretty much is going to screw up my fun.

Have people been hacking the firmware? I'd like to remove this limitation -- with the full knowledge that I'm responsible for my actions if I do such a hack. FWIW, I want to fly this in and around parks in Arlington, VA, which is now in the entire no-fly zone.

Anyone know of a firmware hack or a SSH zone.xml workaround for the thousands of UAV aireal photo & video hobbest in the Va & MD areas within the rediculous 15.5 mile no fly zone???? Need the UAV community help on this one. If not, this will only get worse & worse.

Reactions: Buzz Covington
Anyone know of a firmware hack or a SSH zone.xml workaround for the thousands of UAV aireal photo & video hobbest in the Va & MD areas within the rediculous 15.5 mile no fly zone???? Need the UAV community help on this one. If not, this will only get worse & worse.
There is a user on here that you can PM for that. I can't remember who it is, though!

Let me know if you find any hack ;) I need one lol

Respectfully, same here. It seems to be in the flyforbid.so file on Android, but can't seem to get further than that.

For the record, I'm 14.5 miles from the center of the no fly zone... I have a couple of acres and the Supreme Court said in U.S. v Causby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Causby), that my airspace is mine up to 83 feet... I'm just looking to fly around my house/backyard and the DJI restriction is driving me crazy... no similar block on 3DR or Parrot.

Would love a pointer on how to spike out the DC restriction so I can fly in my backyard, under the 83 feet defined in Causby.

Respectfully, same here. It seems to be in the flyforbid.so file on Android, but can't seem to get further than that.

For the record, I'm 14.5 miles from the center of the no fly zone... I have a couple of acres and the Supreme Court said in U.S. v Causby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Causby), that my airspace is mine up to 83 feet... I'm just looking to fly around my house/backyard and the DJI restriction is driving me crazy... no similar block on 3DR or Parrot.

Would love a pointer on how to spike out the DC restriction so I can fly in my backyard, under the 83 feet defined in Causby.
I feel your pain. It has taken a lot of the enjoyment away from me flying my Phantom. I use to go out back almost on a daily basis and fly. Now, I have to travel whenever I want to fly.

I completely agree that such no fly zone is totally wrong and mostly potentially dangerous. Take my example for instance, I live in Fortaleza, Ceará, Brazil and here the fc**** airport is right in the middle of the city, so you almost can't have fun with your drone in almost everywhere on this city. See the image below and I will explain why it is wrong and dangerous.

View media item 245
As you can see I've added the flights directions, the blue line represents the landing path of the planes to the airport and the green lines the take of. So if one decide to fly a drone on the red lines outside the flyzone (over the start of the blue line) he will probably cause a major accident with a comercial plane since at that distance the plane is low altitude enough to crash a drone.

I'm at the black dot, there are a huge open area and I can't fly my drone over the 10mts =/ and it is not in the path of the planes or any planes for that matter. I'm very frustrated about it. Just sharing my thoughts about it.

Amazing. All this effort in order to see how to circumvent federal law. I wonder how long before the FAA simply bans all hobby RC except at established and known flying sites? We clearly are hell bent on providing all the evidence possible that we as a community have no interest in flying in compliance with their rules.
No, this is to circumvent DJI's unprecedented move to restrict flying within 15.5 miles of Washington DC! That is not an FAA or DHS rule, it was a move by DJI to prevent their company from becoming famous for the wrong reasons. It also totally f*cked my real estate photography business, as 75% of my clients are within 15 miles of DC (but at least 10 miles out) I have a part 333 waiver from the FAA, several thousand hours flying helicopters and fixed-wing, and kind of know what I'm doing. I now have a $1,200 paper weight. Anybody want to buy a mint Phantom 3? I will seriously pay somebody several hundred dollars to come up with a hack for this nonsense. Contact me if interested.

For the money you'd pay for the 'hack' why not build a MR with an FC not effected?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
If only the FAA would stop putting square pegs in round holes and instead start educating the public, people might understand this better and be comfortable with it.
I'm not comfortable with it. I spend $1500+ and additional $399 for an ipad mini 3. Preordered the phantom 3 before this bulls**t no fly-zone firmware came out. My drone arrived yesterday. I live in Silver Spring, Maryland outside of the Washington, D.C. Capital Beltway, but with in 15 miles of the US Capital. My drone couldn't even make it to the White House the US Capital or the Supreme Court or any other federal building for that matter. I unboxed it IN MY HOME. The motors would not start it said I needed a software update. I updated my drone. Took it out side only to find NO FLYZONE on the screen and motors would not start. I got in my car drove 10 miles away to Columbia MD . Attempted to fly only to find out I needed another firm ware update. Had to drive 10 miles back home. I'm returning this big brother crap. I cant even fly it in my own home because DJI has now partnered with the Federal government to spy on me within my home and now I cant even play inside of my own home, on my own land. Good bye DJI Phantom 3. I'm going to get a Parrot Bee Bop. If I could sue this company for tampering property I now own I would.

Reactions: Buzz Covington
I had the same problem. Unboxed it and had to do a firmware update on the drone and the controller both. You encountered the same situation everyone else does. That has nothing to do with being located in a No Fly Zone.

Oh Everybody lives within 15 miles of Washington DC No Fly Zone or do you not know how to read why I'm returning this big brother peace of crap?

Yup.
Best you move on.

Lot's of platform choices out there with other web-forums to match.

Good Luck.

Reactions: dirkclod
Not to bring this thread from the dead but has anyone found a solution for the p3? Now that they put a 2 mile radius around stadiums I pretty much can't fly anywhere in my city and its rather annoying. Especially cause (living in Canada) I am breaking no laws by flying near stadiums.

I tried downgrading the firmware but that doesn't help. The p3 is somehow phoning home to confirm its location and determining where it is in relation to the no fly zone

There is a rock cliff near the airport where I work. I was going to get pictures of people repelling on the rock the other day. I called the airport control tower and got permission to fly. Went to fire up the engines on my P3P and, surprise, they won't even turn on because of being inside the no-fly zone. As a professional photographer (and professional pilot), I need to be able to fly close to an airport for a few different applications. I have permission from airport managers and FAA control towers, but the software isn't allowing me to do so. Is there a way to come out of GPS mode so the drone doesn't know where it is?

Last edited:
I literally ordered a DJI 1 day before the moron flew his DJI into the White House. Now that DJI is incorporating a 15 MILE no fly zone around the White House it pretty much is going to screw up my fun.

Have people been hacking the firmware? I'd like to remove this limitation -- with the full knowledge that I'm responsible for my actions if I do such a hack. FWIW, I want to fly this in and around parks in Arlington, VA, which is now in the entire no-fly zone.
There is a truck load of threads and posts about irresponsible quad flyers....like your moron crashing on the White House lawn....and you want to remove the limitation this one idiot created for the quad flyers worldwide?
And you are different to him because?
You accept responsibility for your actions? But what about any recriminations arising from a mishap in a place you should not be in...and which..like the White House incident could end up with another no fly zone or ever being imposed on those who accepted the no fly limitation and found a safe place to fly?
Do you want your friends and neighbours to see news headlines..."pilot disables drone safety function..and crashes through church window" !

Was wondering if there was any motion with someone finding a workaround on the flyforbid.so? Still love my DJI, but about to homebrew so I can fly in my backyard.

Also, to the posts above, I hear you. But I'd also point out, in the United States, this particular gem from the Supreme Court:
[WIKI]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Causby[/WIKI]

According to the Supremes, my property extends to 83 feet/25 meters. That's more than enough for me to go back to flying low in my backyard.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl