No Fly Zone hack?

Reaction score
I literally ordered a DJI 1 day before the moron flew his DJI into the White House. Now that DJI is incorporating a 15 MILE no fly zone around the White House it pretty much is going to screw up my fun.

Have people been hacking the firmware? I'd like to remove this limitation -- with the full knowledge that I'm responsible for my actions if I do such a hack. FWIW, I want to fly this in and around parks in Arlington, VA, which is now in the entire no-fly zone.

You could also install the previous version of the Phantom Assistant:
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... r_v3.6.exe

I'm not sure if DJI updated the no fly zones there too. If so, then you could go back to a version prior to when the no fly zone feature was added.

If the OP ordered his Phantom the day before the White House crash, then it probably will not have the new firmware on it, right?

But Arlington has been in the FRZ since 9/11, right? So it was already against the rules.

msinger said:
You could also install the previous version of the Phantom Assistant:
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... r_v3.6.exe

I'm not sure if DJI updated the no fly zones there too. If so, then you could go back to a version prior to when the no fly zone feature was added.

Just grabbed the 3.6 from Droneslinger website and installed it, it wont let me down grade my firmware, seems 3.10 is here to stay

crash1sttime, your firmware will be downgraded if you install the Phantom Assistant version 1.x or version 2.x.

ALso if you need to erase it and get back to nothing you can reset the naza by junpering the bottom pin on F1 to the bottom f2 pin on the naza and power it on. Then power it down. That will erase all firmware updates on it. and then you can install vershion 1.8 naza assistant and the older firmware.

Phantom detects if the GPS cable is plugged in or not. If not plugged in then the CSC will not start the phantom.

For educational purposes...
You can also "block the GPS" and fly atti.
Just goto a known location that you can fly so it records as the last known place. Then place a piece of foil right on top the shell. This will block some of the GPS sats.
Then goto a no fly zone and take off in ATTI. If it doesn't know where it is in the world then it should be able to take off anywhere.

Reactions: aircarta
Amazing. All this effort in order to see how to circumvent federal law. I wonder how long before the FAA simply bans all hobby RC except at established and known flying sites? We clearly are hell bent on providing all the evidence possible that we as a community have no interest in flying in compliance with their rules.

The Never Ending Troll (DeathFromJuu/TimmyG94/Legions-of-other-names) is back. Ignore until he is removed.
Don't feed the psychosis that drives him.

HailStorm said:
The Never Ending Troll (DeathFromJuu/TimmyG94/Legions-of-other-names) is back. Ignore until he is removed.
Don't feed the psychosis that drives him.

:arrow: And just like that, he's gone...

what federal law is this ???and when did dji become the feds and becoming federal law???? I have no intention of wanting to fly any were Im not supposed to but i sure as hell dont like the fact that dji is trying to dictate what I can or cant do with there product that no longer belongs to them once they sell it to some one or trying to force the selves to be every ones appointed nanny. Its also silly that they are putting these things in the updates that are a result of yet on more fly away and yet there restrictions are not going to be able to do a dam thing to prevent any one elses fly away from flying in to any restricted place being if the gps is not working its also not going to be able to know not to fly away in to one of these no no areas in the first place.

Reactions: aircarta
J.James said:
what federal law is this ???and when did dji become the feds and becoming federal law???? I have no intention of wanting to fly any were Im not supposed to but i sure as hell dont like the fact that dji is trying to dictate what I can or cant do with there product that no longer belongs to them once they sell it to some one or trying to force the selves to be every ones appointed nanny. Its also silly that they are putting these things in the updates that are a result of yet on more fly away and yet there restrictions are not going to be able to do a dam thing to prevent any one elses fly away from flying in to any restricted place being if the gps is not working its also not going to be able to know not to fly away in to one of these no no areas in the first place.

Here is the TFR from the FAA website that defines the no fly area around DC that DJI is now including in their software.

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_8326.html

Its pretty **** scary how many people are willing to just bend over and take it up from the behind from the US government and defend the very people who are doing it.

I don't want to sound like some edgy teenager but 15 mile radius around no fly zones? Anyone in that area is going to get screwed, now having to drive out of the range just to use their drone. And do you really think they are just going to stop there? I could see all sorts of areas be blanketed in no fly zones in the coming future. What if something like that happened to cars? *STOP CITIZEN, YOUR VEHICLE IS APPROACHING PROPERTY OWNED BY THE GOVERNMENT- MOTOR SHUTOFF ACTIVATED* car enthusiasts would be flipping out in anger.

Whats even crazier is how quickly DJI is jumping to this yet there's constant Fly Away issues, INCORRECT parts installed in newer models and just utter disregard for the consumer, the very people keeping them in business.

Really shows how messed up this world has become.

NuclearRhino said:
Its pretty **** scary how many people are willing to just bend over and take it up from the behind from the US government and defend the very people who are doing it.
Huh? Where did this come from?

To be honest I was just seeing if putting an earlier assistant software would downgrade it, I'm not in America so the FAA has no bearing or control over how I fly.

I wonder if area near a US carrier no fly zone and will they jam it down. I am not suggesting anyone to try.

The scary part, to me, is that because DJI said they are putting a 15 mile no-fly around DC, people think that's the no-fly zone.

The truth is, the no-fly zone extends for 30 miles, not for 15.

Be a responsible UAV owner, and don't rely on built in safeguards to stay legal.

Here is the TFR from the FAA website that defines the no fly area around DC that DJI is now including in their software.

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_8326.html

ya but allI see there is stuff about air planes and other maned aircraft.

I live right next to a millitary complex were there has been a no fly zone sence the 1990s and have spoken to someone one that is in charge of security there just to make sure Im not doing any thing illegal for even flying out side there area even tho they are some times in view and they dont have a problem with me flying my quad out side there property line and said its not an air plane and as long as I am not specifically trying to photo graph or take video there is no thing prohibiting some one flying near by. I even mentioned fly always and what if one ever accidentally flew in to there restricted zone. if it was not intended then some ones not at fault as long as it really was not intended or aware of it. Tho he did say just to be on the safe side it would be best to try and avoid it. Which I do any way and dont even fly towards there being it is a sensitive military installation and they have weapons and biological warfare research facility's there and always have had a photography ban sence the 50's But thats only on site. any ones allowed to stand accost the street at take pictures if they wanted. Tho if you ever go inside your subject to being searched to make sure you have no cameras on you or in your car.

SO i think a lot of this paranoid hype that people have thinking they cant fly there quad in a non nefarious manor due to restrictions meant to keep spys and would be air plane attackers out of certain areas is being a bit dramatic to think these laws apply to 'drones" being these things didnt even exist durning the times some of these things were passed and mostly its the things one does with one that would already be against the law even with out the law saying any thing about drones. Like if some one is using a quad or even a kite to try and spy on an area that is a sensitive research facility espinoge is already highly illegal no matter how new or creative some ones way of carrying it out was.

But every one thinking its cool that not only is the goverment trying to be big bother Its really uncool that people think its quite ok that dji is now trying to be big step brother as well. and its bs. cause there restictions are going to affect people that have no intent of doing any thing wrong or any of the things dji wants to be big brother and stop doing.

Not only would some one who live in these effected imaginary lines not only will not be able to even fly there phantoms in any of these places with out having to go miles away just to fly around some were. Even if they have some thing wrong and are trying to fix there phantom inside there house They will not even be able to test it out in side there own house even tho there is no law that says any one cant fly any drone in side there own house or is there even any intent by the goverment to even try to say they cant and dji is going way over the line by making many peoples phantoms non operable. and any one that bought one for what ever reason BEFORE these changes did not willingly agree to buy some thing that dji thinks they have a right to render useless or unworkable at a whim of some dork at dji who wants to look like they are kissing the dear learders commie butt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.