Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

No Fly Zone - auto land?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Liamus27, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Liamus27

Hello - I have a no fly zone near me (football stadium) that extends partially over the river I want to fly over. I just want to understand what happens if I went too far and encountered the no fly zone. I have read somewhere else the phantom will auto land, this would of course be a tragedy over the river so would like to know if this is what to expect - I expected it to just work like an altitude/distance barrier and stop you going any further.

Thanks

2. tcope

DJI has no such restrictions in it's firmware. The only current restrictions are for larger airports. Also, you are not allowed to fly over stadiums that hold 30,000 people one hour before an event and one hour after.

So in your situation, nothing will happen.

3. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

You'd be wise to test and retest just to make sure.

4. CCDD

I beg to differ with you, I attempted to fly near Gillette Stadium and encountered the NFZ, the Phantom immediately began to auto land. I was able to turn it around and fly back however, attempting to go any further would have caused the bird to land.

5. Liamus27

The auto land seems completely ridiculous to me, not to mention dangerous. Effectively you haven't entered the no fly zone - the software should just bounce you back like a distance limit.

6. Roamer105

I suppose you can switch to Atti-mode, take over and fly her out of the NFZ.

On another note: is there a published record of the NFZ database used by the DJI? It would help a lot to actually know beforehand where the NFZ are.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

7. impilot51

Also, prisons and detention facilities are now NFZs. Very small areas directly over them, so they should not impact you unless your trying to fly in contraband to your incarcerated buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Digdat0 likes this.
  8. FrequentFlyer

The DJIGO APP gives you (us) plenty of warning when getting close to s NFZ before initiating an Auto-land. So if it gets to the point where it NFZ AUTO-lands - YOU WERE WARNED.
    To answer the question, fly near your river, check for NFZ warnings, if you get none, fly-fly-fly!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

ondesko likes this.
  9. Liamus27

I understand how it works (but thanks for the capitals) - I am saying the logic is flawed when there are safer ways to enforce the NFZ.

10. tcope

You may very well be correct. I checked the stadium local to me and it only seats 20,000. So it's not on DJI's radar as a stadium. It's also now the case that obvious NFZ, such as military bases, have been removed from their map. But I guess that does not mean it's still not in the firmware.

Interesting. I'll see about checking the military bases and prison in my area to see what happens.

As a note, there is a great cafe run by a local prison that is open to the public. It's attached and is staffed by some inmates. I'll just turn the Phantom on on the area but won't fly it.

11. tcope

I can only speak for airport NFZ but they _should_ all be the same. Once you get 5 miles away from the airport you get a warning to this effect and only your altitude is restricted. Only once you get (I think) 1.5 miles away does the Phantom not start or auto land. So what you mention does kind of happen. You can fly if you want well within the NFZ. It's not until you are in a critical area that the auto land takes over... as well it should.

12. RocketBrew

13. Not A Speck Of Cereal

I live near more than one stadium that is a NFZ. My experience has been that if I launch outside the zone, then fly up to the edge of the zone (the big red circle on the FPV device), it will not enter the zone. In fact, I can fly against it, throttle fully forward, and it just smears up against the zone limit as if it's made of glass, back and forth, but not in/forward.

Once, when trying to launch within the zone (I was several blocks away and was not initially aware that I was in the zone), it wouldn't even take off.

Since it does not enter it and won't take off within it, I've never seen the auto-land behavior.

Chris

FrequentFlyer likes this.
  14. CCDD

I experienced the exact same Chris, as much as you try to push through the "NFZ barrier" it prevents penetration however, mine went into auto land mode and it began to descend.

15. Not A Speck Of Cereal

Interesting. It's been at least one firmware version since I've tried.

16. tcope

17. Imabiggles

well fuuu*k. really? now what am I do do with my drone and 100 points of meth?

impilot51 likes this.
  18. skipilot1

I get a warning when getting close to a Class D airport near me. The drone just stops and hovers and lets me know on the screen.