No drones in MD state parks?

Just read PA DCNR laws , drones only allowed in designated state parks about 6 in PA.

I see nobody has mentioned the DC SFRA which encompasses all of Montgomery and all of PG, as well as a good chunk out of a lot of other counties.

Don't Fly Drones Here
I need to update this post since the linked NOTAM was issued in February.

We can now fly in the DC SFRA with certain limitations, but not in the DC FRZ.

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/sUAS_SFRA_FDC_6_2069_A0037_16.pdf

Note that the language in the B4UFLY app regarding flying in the DC SFRA is completely misleading, totally ignoring the NOTAM update, and I think this is a good example of why we need to pay attention and not take everything we read on the FAA site at face value.

For you guys in maryland (maryland is following FAA guidelines) we can use the drones in state parks, as long as we don't interfere with the visitors, and letting them now you will be using your drone in the park so they aren't jerks to you. (I called park services). I thought I let you guys know.

Welcome aboard FatMan! 3 weeks of rain and no flying..I'M READY!

Reactions: FatManInc
To help clarify this issue in Maryland, Governor Hogan has signed a law stating that no county or municipality may pass any laws that contradict Maryland State law or Federal law concerning the use of UAVs. This new law mandates a study period of three years to come up with state regulations that will encourage the development of local commercial and public service use of UAVs. Seems like a very sensible law. The State parks law precedes this law, and it is a state-level entity, so probably it still holds, but the Montgomery and PG county parks laws would be superseded by the Maryland State statute now.

Here is the text of the law:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2015RS/Chapters_noln/CH_164_sb0370e.pdf

To help clarify this issue in Maryland, Governor Hogan has signed a law stating that no county or municipality may pass any laws that contradict Maryland State law or Federal law concerning the use of UAVs. This new law mandates a study period of three years to come up with state regulations that will encourage the development of local commercial and public service use of UAVs. Seems like a very sensible law. The State parks law precedes this law, and it is a state-level entity, so probably it still holds, but the Montgomery and PG county parks laws would be superseded by the Maryland State statute now.

Here is the text of the law:

Thanks. Fascinating. MNCPPC, which controls almost all the parks in suburban MD, has a prohibition against the use of powered model airplanes and rockets (which they apply to drones), but not drones. Even assuming the statute isn't retroactive, I guess MNCPPC parks are now a drone-friendly site.

Thanks. Fascinating. MNCPPC, which controls almost all the parks in suburban MD, has a prohibition against the use of powered model airplanes and rockets (which they apply to drones), but not drones. Even assuming the statute isn't retroactive, I guess MNCPPC parks are now a drone-friendly site.

Legally "drone-friendly", but as always, it depends on the park cops and administrators. We'll be carrying copies of this law with us if we fly in MNCPPC parks. And of course, with Montgomery and PG Counties, only half the county areas are outside the FRZ.

Legally "drone-friendly", but as always, it depends on the park cops and administrators. We'll be carrying copies of this law with us if we fly in MNCPPC parks. And of course, with Montgomery and PG Counties, only half the county areas are outside the FRZ.

Yup. I've found my own little "secret spot" in a MNCPPC park, just outside the FRZ, where I'm unlikely to encounter any imperial resistance, or bother anyone (always a goal).

[QUOTE="The State parks law precedes this law, and it is a state-level entity[/QUOTE]

I just noticed this portion of your post. The last I heard was that there were no general prohibitions on DNR property, which would include the state parks.

Am I mistaken, or did that change... or are you just referring to DNR's authority generally to regulate in the parks?

From what I've heard, DNR has a fairly reasonable approach to the issue. They're safety-conscious, but not drone prohibitionists.

I just got a P3S and have looked online to see if I can fly in State Parks in Maryland. I read throught the thread here and don't see anything that stands out for Maryland. Anyone have additiional info?

I just got a P3S and have looked online to see if I can fly in State Parks in Maryland. I read throught the thread here and don't see anything that stands out for Maryland. Anyone have additiional info?

Currently, Maryland Dept. of Natural Resources (DNR), which runs the state parks, has no regs on the books, so it isn't technically prohibited. They've said in the past that they were working on regs, but that seems to have bogged down.

Still, I would use a great deal of discretion, choose my park wisely, and pack up if asked to stop. Otherwise, it contributes to the potential for broader regulation that shuts us down completely.

Also, in 2015, Maryland enacted the following bill, which prohibits counties and cities from restricting UAV flights:

As a result of that bill, MD Code, Economic Development, § 14-301(b) now provides:

"Only the State may enact a law or take any other action to prohibit, restrict, or regulate the testing or operation of unmanned aircraft systems in the State."​

The "any other action" language implies it would prohibit enforcement of existing regulations on anything other than a state or federal level. For example, MNCPPC (which isn't the state, per se) has a prohibition on powered model airplanes. I doubt they can lawfully enforce it under that statute.

Last edited:
I couldn't find anything on the DNR site for state owned parks. I'll need to see if Frederick County has similar rules as Montgomery. I haven't been kicked out yet, but I've only flown at my local park a couple of times. I'm pretty sure the local model airport club uses the same County park, so I'm hoping I'm ok.
I just started flying a Phantom 3 in the Frederick area. What local park or parks have you flown?

I have not ventured to any parks yet in Maryland. I am in Annapolis and been flying around here. There is several parks with waterfalls that I am wanting to visit once weather improves.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I just got my new P4P on Thursday and my first flight (ever, a newbie) was at Sandy Point State Park in Annapolis just before the bay bridge. I called the park on Friday and they said it was ok to fly and this time of year it's empty. So I had so much fun I went back today for three more hours. I went through all 3 of my HC batteries... need more.

Awesome! I almost went to Sandy Point today but was not sure of the regulations. Thanks for the heads up! Maybe we can meet up and trade tips. I live off of Riva Road in Riva Trace in Annapolis.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The winds were gusting to around 15-20 today and being a newbie I kept it close but still had a blast. I might go back tomorrow. I want to get the nerve up to fly around the lighthouse at the north end of the park...

The winds were gusting to around 15-20 today and being a newbie I kept it close but still had a blast. I might go back tomorrow. I want to get the nerve up to fly around the lighthouse at the north end of the park...

I had some winds today as well. I was also flying my Karma drone and you could hear the wind gusts. I flew into the wind in case something went wrong I could use the wind to get me back faster. I lost sight of my Phantom because of the Sun. Then I lost signal and it initiated the RTH (Return to Home) and I have to say I was nervous. However, it came back home and I was estactic. That was the first time this happened to me and it was perfect how it did the RTH.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.