No drones in MD state parks?

"No powered model airplanes or rockets shall be flown or launched"

The FAA is clear that local and state cannot regulate this...sounds like this state law CLEARLY is in violation of that!

You failed to quote enough...

"No powered model airplanes or rockets shall be flown or launched from..."

So you cannot be flying the airplane while standing in the park. Again, local park rangers have jurisdiction.

You failed to quote enough...

"No powered model airplanes or rockets shall be flown or launched from..."

So you cannot be flying the airplane while standing in the park. Again, local park rangers have jurisdiction.

No, you just chose to interpret it that way. It clearly is trying to limit flying and launching in those parks... in ANY case, the FAA is clear that local and state government should not be making UAS laws - even if those laws are complimentary...that is the jurisdiction of the FAA.

they haven't joined the sovereign kingdoms of Montgomery and PG yet! some nice flying in Carroll county too.

No, you just chose to interpret it that way. It clearly is trying to limit flying and launching in those parks... in ANY case, the FAA is clear that local and state government should not be making UAS laws - even if those laws are complimentary...that is the jurisdiction of the FAA.

Still incorrect. 1) the FAA _only_ regulates things in airspace. It does not matter what that is, UAV, person, Frisbee, etc. Local law enforcement can regulate any activity/action that takes place on the ground. It does not matter If that thing is a person or UAV as long as it's on the ground. But in this case the MD parks are not regulated a UAV... they are regulating an action being taken by a person on the ground. That person happens to be operating a UAV but again, the flight is not being regulated... the person is.

How I'm reading that rule is 100% correct... a UAV cannot be _launched_ from the park... that is, the land that the park regulates.

Still incorrect. 1) the FAA _only_ regulates things in airspace. It does not matter what that is, UAV, person, Frisbee, etc. Local law enforcement can regulate any activity/action that takes place on the ground. It does not matter If that thing is a person or UAV as long as it's on the ground. But in this case the MD parks are not regulated a UAV... they are regulating an action being taken by a person on the ground. That person happens to be operating a UAV but again, the flight is not being regulated... the person is.

How I'm reading that rule is 100% correct... a UAV cannot be _launched_ from the park... that is, the land that the park regulates.
The park rule clearly said flown or launched.

This appears to usurp FAA authority.

Last edited:
You are arguing in circles as your right back at the beginning. This does not apply to the flight... it applies to launching _from_ the park.

No, you are arguing in circles. The park rules clearly states flown or launched. Why do you think YOUR interpretation of that holds ANY weight?

No, you are arguing in circles. The park rules clearly states flown or launched. Why do you think YOUR interpretation of that holds ANY weight?

Flown and flown from are two different things. A plane was flown refers to the actual flight of the plane. A plane was flown from refers to the origin it started from. In this case the origin of the UAV flight was the ground that the park owns.

Flown and flown from are two different things. A plane was flown refers to the actual flight of the plane. A plane was flown from refers to the origin it started from. In this case the origin of the UAV flight was the ground that the park owns.

what part of
'flown or lunched from' are you having a problem understanding? I get it, your brain wants it to say 'flown from or launched from', well, sorry...

what part of
'flown or lunched from' are you having a problem understanding? I get it, your brain wants it to say 'flown from or launched from', well, sorry...

I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. It seem that Montgomery County Parks have a rule (rather than a law) against model airplanes. I'm pretty sure they have the right to prevent take-off/landing. I don't think they could do much if you launched from someplace else and flew over, but that sort of defeats the purpose of flying at the park.

Reactions: aka1ceman
I see nobody has mentioned the DC SFRA which encompasses all of Montgomery and all of PG, as well as a good chunk out of a lot of other counties.

Don't Fly Drones Here

I'm in Frederick County, part of which is in the no fly zone from DC. We also get nabbed by Camp David, which takes a nice park out of commission (I wouldn't dream of pushing my luck there), and the AT, which seems to be a no llaunch zone as it is run by the NPS.

....how about an AMA field smack dab in the middle of a state park? Theres 1 down here:eek:

Reactions: FotoGeek
Forgive me for resurrecting a dead thread, but the topic seems to be pretty well-developed here. Some thoughts and comments:

1. The cited ban on powered model airplanes and rockets is a Md. Natl Capital Park and Planning Commission (MNCPPC) rule, not a Maryland state (DNR) rule. It only applies in MNCPPC parks.

2. If MNCPPC ever took you to court ($50 fine), I'd point out that a drone is neither an airplane nor a rocket. That being said, the one time a park policeman told me I couldn't fly, and cited that rule, I packed up and left. As I was packing up he said, "just don't fly it while I'm around." If I'd been a jerk, he'd have been looking for me after that.

3. I read that in late 2015 MD DNR was talking about coming up with a policy on drone use.

4. Yes, FAA has exclusive jurisdiction. I'd feel more comfortable with tolerable DNR rules than arguing federal jurisdiction with a DNR cop out in some field. I understand the FAA is actually on our side in stopping local/state flying restrictions. Not that they like us, they just don't like the thought of giving up a smidge of power.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was flying my P3 in a state park in Maryland. I was approached by a park cop and was told I could not fly in the park. To my knowledge there are currently no laws prohibiting this (yet) but I just packed up and left. Is this in fact illegal and I'm just not aware?
what park were you in? heading to point lookout and I want to fly the lighthouse, its not active but should make a good video.

Why pick on a bird handler , as long as they are not endangering people or wildlife , everyone else gets to fish , boat, camp, bicycle, picnic, snowmobile, hike, photograph, pick berries and mushrooms, horseriding, swimming, and even trap shooting at my local PA. Black Moshannon State Park What happened to we the people and not just the few.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers