Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

No Drone Zone - Huntington Beach

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blown240, Jun 22, 2016.

1. blown240

2. N017RW

It seems 'they' (the proper gov't. authorities) can regulate where you take-off & operate from as well as land but the sky is the purview of the FAA and they have made it clear flying over crowds, specifically, is not allowed and flying within a 5 mile airport radius (if true) requires airport notification.

So it doesn't matter if there's an airport or not (too lazy to investigate), does it?

3. blown240

The closest airport is 6 miles away.

I totally understand not flying over crowds. I really like flying out over the ocean, mostly because if I crash, it won't hurt anyone....

I bring up the article because of this. HB is my local beach. It would suck to get a ticket for flying there.

4. N017RW

Yea looks like they 'played it loose' with the distance from the airport but can still get ya with the take-off, etc. location if they have such rules/laws in place.

5. brinks

He's calling for Heli-ports in the article not airports. There is a heliport in almost every city. I don't think that is correct that you can't fly 5 miles from any heli-port. That would include most hospitals, police stations, News stations and private Heli-pads.

6. Mark The Droner

You can nitpick at the language in the article, but the spirit of what they're trying to do is pretty clear to me.

There's a parade. There's a heliport nearby. There will be helicopters flying around. There will be small manned planes overhead. So in light of all this, there will be no UAS flights.

This makes perfect sense.

Reed L likes this.
  7. Wolfiesden

They also played it loose with the "guidelines" too:
    Um, no it does not. It does not prohibit it.
    Getting Started
    You must NOTIFY them of your flight. Its not illegal to fly there nor is it prohibited. Its regulated. Different thing. Not saying its smart or the best thing to be buzzing near an airport though but there is a difference between being regulated and prohibited and illegal. And a cop should know that. And you don't need authorization (except for commercial flights). Unless recent rule changes have altered the "guidelines", notification is sufficient. Permission is not required. Cooperation is a good idea nonetheless.

8. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Heliports have a tower. Helipads do not. Helipads are not airports. Most are private and for emergency use only. The problem with this is your average cop on the beat doesn't understand any of this. And to make matters worse, they may have bad information. As an example, check out what LAPD have been given:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Some LAPD have interpreted this to be a cause for arrest if you don't have a COA. And with 91.119 on the back, it makes matters even more confusing.

So you need to know the facts. And no matter what, you need to exercise caution and common sense. I wouldn't operate in a busy area without good knowledge of aviation, airports, airspace, etc.

As for a parade, you'd best stay clear unless you have permission. If the city were smart, they would get a TFR posted.

Mark The Droner and Wolfiesden like this.
  9. Wolfiesden

All smart things indeed.

Also remember the rule: Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do something.

Especially if it involves someone wearing a badge with the ability to make you very miserable for a long time.

10. blown240

Please don't get me wrong. I didn't start this thread because I had a problem with staying away from the parade, crowds, etc. I was more concerned about not being able to fly at the beach at all. I usually fly several miles south of the HB pier, OR several miles north at the Bolsa Chica wetlands....

11. NotARubicon

Isn't there a county beach right next to HB? Just go there to take off/land, fly where you want, and stay away from the crowds.

12. blown240

Ya, A state beach, south of Beach blvd. Thats usually where I go...

13. NotARubicon

Thought so.. That's where my parents used to take us when I was a kid because we were too poor to pay for parking with the rich people up in HB..

14. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Check policies for state, county and city beaches. Each will be different. Some won't allow it.

15. xgaul

What is Coa-rfc

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

16. blown240

Its $15 to park there now. I usually park about a mile inland and ride my bike down...

NotARubicon likes this.
  17. WetDog

He just needs a boat.....

18. Timothy Hulme

I too have been trying to find a hassle free place to learn to handle my new drone in the HB as that is where I live. I'd like to find a spot west of beach blvd. as that gets me outside the 5 mile rule for John Wayne. BUT, I'm even more concerned about being hassled by police within the city no matter where I go. Can somebody here that knows the area help me out? I have no desire to practice anywhere near homes. So open fields seem likely the best choice. Any help would be appreciated.

19. blown240

Hey Tim.

I like to fly at Mile Square park in FV. Also have flown at Bolsa Chica wetlands. I've gone down to thr Balboa peninsila too.

20. Sagebrush

This is what the FAA defines as an airport: An airport is defined in the law as any area of land or water used or intended for landing or takeoff of aircraft including appurtenant area used or intended for airport buildings, facilities, as well as rights of way together with the buildings and facilities.

Or did am I missing something in my research?

SB