No complaints?

Reaction score
With all the threads about flyaways, birds dropping out of the sky, lost signal etc. with the P3, I wonder if anyone has P3's that just work? Or are all these issues really global and now that I've had my P3 for a month or so, should I expect to start having problems?

Considering the amount of people that own Phantoms, a very small number of those owners are posting issues on the Internet in general. There don't seem to be many complaints if you take that into consideration.

I've 3 p3 and no problem (for the moment). Last fw installed on all of them.

If you want to hear real complaining, go to the 3DR solo site which is at the bottom of this page and read those posts

With anything that involves software and electronics, I'd expect a certain amount of issues from users. Include flying in the equation and the result will likely result in more damage than if your phone or other electronic device has an issue. I've no doubt that like most forums for products, people tend to focus on the bad when it happens more so than the good much less the normal or expected. There have obviously been some firmware & software issues, but for the most part I think most users are fairly pleased with the Phantom 3. The thing to remember is this is some fairly new and amazing technology considering the price point. The quality of video I've seen from others and been able to achieve is pretty amazing when you think about it. I've personally had no major problems or issues... at least nothing that would be a deal breaker as far as owning a P3 goes. Not all, but many of the "crashes" I've seen were clearly user error by the owner usually not following the basic rules, isctructions or simply doing something careless. You could ask for those who have had no issues to respond and few will bother... ask for those who have had issues to respond, and you'll get plenty of response. Just like any feedback...

Reactions: Bret Lucas
No major problems here operating on the latest firmware. After learning to fly a NanoQX in agility mode, reading the P3 manual so I know it comfortably, using checklists religiously, calibrating when appropriate and away from all interference. And training on all emergency situations...
I've only have one gripe which I've built into my preflight checklist. My camera does not show a level horizon so the fix for me is to dial in -1.2 into the camera gimbal settings.

No complaints from me.

I would like bird mounted mister for hot days though. Haha!

Reactions: Bret Lucas
No problemo...

No problems yet here. I am very careful about testing and calibrations. I am using the latest firmware. P3A

Reactions: Sammynels
With all the threads about flyaways, birds dropping out of the sky, lost signal etc. with the P3, I wonder if anyone has P3's that just work? Or are all these issues really global and now that I've had my P3 for a month or so, should I expect to start having problems?

Great question...

I've had my P3P for about 2 months.
I have not upgraded my FW so I am flying on 1.1.9.
The P3 is not my first multi-rotor, and I have been flying RC aircraft on and off for over 15 years.
I read the manual and looked at some YT videos to become familiar with the DJI Pilot app...
Have calibrated my compass and IMU maybe three times.

Today I made 3 flights, each about 1600m each way.
Used RTH on one flight just to check for accuracy and landed less than 2m from point of launch.

My P3 performs beautifully and is pretty much issue free.

Next week I plan a 2400m (each way) out and return flight.

:harry

I am issue free as well. There was a thread a week or two back that talked about being issue free.

Of the issues posted here you need to separate them out because they fall in three categories: operator error (common), irritating issues that need improvement (may not bother you at all), and then issues that affect the some folks ability to fly and enjoy the hobby.

I believe that if you sort them that way, you will get closer to what your tolerance will be. It would be interesting to get some saber metrics done on that classification. :D

Thanks all for your replies. This is not my first rodeo either, but I was starting to get nervous seeing numerous flyaway and fall-from-the-sky horror stories, but I guess maybe they just stood out more than other non-alarming posts. I'll continue to do updates, calibrations and pre-flight checklists and hope that most of the issues I've read about have been pilot error or resolved bugs.

Had my P3P up about a dozen times now...no major issues. Minor stuff that I assume will get taken care of in future firmware updates. :)

Thanks all for your replies. This is not my first rodeo either, but I was starting to get nervous seeing numerous flyaway and fall-from-the-sky horror stories, but I guess maybe they just stood out more than other non-alarming posts. I'll continue to do updates, calibrations and pre-flight checklists and hope that most of the issues I've read about have been pilot error or resolved bugs.

Seems like what a lot of people call flyaway's really comes down to pilot error or lack of understanding to some capacity.

Are there issues? Yes there are a few but keep in mind that everyone doesn't post details of every successful flight here. Personally I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as a few would lead you to believe.

You should always be smart and have a plan for when things go wrong. The other day I had a compass error mid flight and was forced to work on my ATTI skills!

If it's not too late… I upgraded P3P right out-of-the-box and have had no real issues. Very, very happy with it!
I also updated to 1.2.6 FW out-of-box and so-far so-good.

I think we are a few of the lucky ones! Most of the issues are usually my fault but maybe somewhere somebody has an idea on why so much of this information that we direly need isn't found in the manual? Thank God for so many folks on the sites are well-versed in quad copters but if it wasn't for this site i'd be flying this thing into trees… If I could get it off the ground in the first place!

I would kindly suggest that you pick a single year and model of vehicle. Let's say a 2011 Mustang GT.

21,398 were sold with the Manual 6-speed transmission.

95 were reported to the NHTSA for transmission issues ranging from clutch to internal transmission problems. Investigations were completed and it was found that roughly 11% of those cars, 2398, had faulty transmissions that required dealer replacement. Transmissions manufactured in China. Mine was one of them. The transmission and the rear axle both required replacement under warranty.

On the three different forums I visited, there were, perhaps, 100 or so people who posted complaining about their transmissions. However, these 100 or so people caused thousands of others to buy the Automatic versions of the Mustang for the rest of the 2011 model year and beyond.

My second manual transmission is still working extremely well to this day. The man who bought it has enjoyed it tremendously. I did a few modifications to it, aftermarket shifter, suspension components, vibration isolators and fluid, that has improved upon the design. Carefully researched and meticulously installed by me.

People who would normally purchase a manual transmission equipped Mustang bought into the hysteria of the few who had issues that posted on forums. Their posts didn't take into account that only 11% of people had issues. Once the fluid viscosity problem was identified, those issues dropped dramatically the next year model. I bought one of the first ones to hit the market with the new 5.0L Coyote V8. I knew I would have some issues with it being a whole new drive train because just about every car ever made that has had a major drive train update has had issues. Testing in house is nothing compared to what the general public will put a product through.

So take forum posts with a huge grain of salt. People RARELY make an account and post to forums about how awesome an experience they've had with a given product.

I am issue free as well. There was a thread a week or two back that talked about being issue free.

Of the issues posted here you need to separate them out because they fall in three categories: operator error (common), irritating issues that need improvement (may not bother you at all), and then issues that affect the some folks ability to fly and enjoy the hobby.

I believe that if you sort them that way, you will get closer to what your tolerance will be. It would be interesting to get some saber metrics done on that classification. :D

Really well stated !!

Reactions: SteelGator

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers