Reaction score
Sorry if this question is redundant. If I'm out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service, will my phone still record a new gps home point? Will return to home still work? And finally, do I need to cache my maps beforehand? If so, how does one do that on an iphone? Thanks!

yes on gps record home point and cache maps for that area before you go there

Sorry if this question is redundant. If I'm out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service, will my phone still record a new gps home point? Will return to home still work? And finally, do I need to cache my maps beforehand? If so, how does one do that on an iphone? Thanks!
Even if you don't cache maps, it won't affect your flying.

If I'm out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service, will my phone still record a new gps home point?
The Phantom records the home point using data from the GPS receiver inside of the Phantom. As long as it is able to use that GPS data, it'll be able to return back to the home point.

If I'm out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service, will my phone still record a new gps home point?
If you mean will a home point be set, then yes. The Phantom's own GPS will be used to set a home point. Cell service does not provide GPS data.

Will return to home still work?
Yes, under normal circumstances RTH will still work.

do I need to cache my maps beforehand? If so, how does one do that on an iphone?
Maps are not required to fly. If you choose to use maps, cache them in advance by opening the GO app while you still have internet access. Make sure that the "cache maps in background" option is enabled in the General menu, go to a map view (still within GO), and scroll around the area in which you intend to fly.

Reactions: JoBe
Hello, I am new to this. Sorry if you find yourself repeating answers. I am of to NZ in April and want to have the ability to drive along a road and if I see something worth filming get out and use my drone. In some places I won't have been able to cache maps before hand. Will this still be ok to fly? I think I understand that the home point and RTH will still work as that's based on GPS but how do you know where that home point is set or do you just trust that it's exactly where the drone took off from? Thank you and happy Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hello, I am new to this. Sorry if you find yourself repeating answers. I am of to NZ in April and want to have the ability to drive along a road and if I see something worth filming get out and use my drone. In some places I won't have been able to cache maps before hand. Will this still be ok to fly? I think I understand that the home point and RTH will still work as that's based on GPS but how do you know where that home point is set or do you just trust that it's exactly where the drone took off from?
The Phantom has its own GPS receiver which it uses for all flight functions.
Looking at the telemetry display you'll see confirmation of the recorded home point which is where the Phantom is launched.
Not having background maps makes no difference to your flying.
I've only used them a couple of times in the last few years.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic